• [6.8.3.] New Config resets Disk Shares Security Settings

mgutt
    • Minor

I started a new config because one of my disks became a different ID after switching the USB adapter. After that all my SMB Security Settings were resetted. This means all disks were writable even by guests.

Possible Fixes:

a) Do not reset the disk share settings

b) Make Export "No" and Security "Private" the new default

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I suspect that technically this is not a bug in that the New Config is working as designed.

Having said that I agree it might make a lot of sense to leave all share settings unchanged when usin New Config - especially if using the option to retain current disk assignments.   I personally would find that more convenient than current behaviour.

I do not like your second option as that would cause problems for users who have their shares exported and set to Public.

Even if you retain all you can still make any changes including changing slots so some default settings is probably the only thing that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Even if you retain all you can still make any changes including changing slots so some default settings is probably the only thing that makes sense. 

Not sure I agree here.   Changing slots still does not necessarily mean you want the shares to be set up any differently.  

Perhaps the best way forward would be to add a new check box to the New Config dialog as to whether shares settings should be left unchanged or reset to defaults?    At least that would give visibility to the effect that share settings might be affected.   Making the default the current behaviour would mean users only get the share settings retained if they explicitly ask for them.

do you think this should explicitly be raised as a feature request?

31 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Changing slots still does not necessarily mean you want the shares to be set up any differently.  

Of course there should be no changes to user share settings, and there is no change.

I always discourage sharing disks on the network anyway.

Retaining disk share settings when those settings apply to a specific slot instead of to a specific disk and its data doesn't seem any more correct to me than to just have default settings applied to all disks and then let the user make any changes needed.

I agree though that either way can be confusing for the user and making it more visible does make sense.