• [6.8.3] Restored backup not bootable in legacy mode using USB Creator

markz
    • Minor

I just spent an entire night trying to reload my backup. I need legacy boot mode because previously I have experienced GPU passthrough not working in UEFI mode. However, the restored backup only works in UEFI but not in legacy mode.

HOW TO REPRODUCE

1. Download a usb stick backup from Main > Flash Device > Flash Backup

2. On another usb stick, restore the backup using Mac OS Unraid USB Creator (Version 1.8) Local Zip option, selecting the zip file from step 1

3. Attempt to boot the new flash drive in legacy mode

4. Error message: Not a bootable device

POTENTIAL WORKAROUND (Suggested by Frank1940)

Use the flash creator to load a brand new copy of 6.8.3. Afterwards, copy the content of the original /config folder from your backup.

If the USB Creator is not a reliable way to restore a backup until we find the cause, maybe we should update the documentation to mention this alternative method. 

RELATED POSTS

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82837-replacement-usb-wont-boot/

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/90922-cant-boot-in-legacy-mode-helppp/

If you are a developer trying to reproduce this issue, I can send my previous backups that display this problem.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Check your flash drive and make sure it has a folder at the top level named EFI-. The folder must be named EFI- for legacy, and just EFI for UEFI boot.

20 hours ago, trurl said:

Check your flash drive and make sure it has a folder at the top level named EFI-. The folder must be named EFI- for legacy, and just EFI for UEFI boot.

The problematic backups indeed all had EFI instead of EFI- in the root folder. However, if I load the backup and then manually rename EFI to EFI- the resulting drive still refuses to boot.

6 minutes ago, John_M said:

Have you made sure the appropriate legacy USB device is selected as the default in your server's boot menu?

Yeah forgot to mention that I always manually selected the device to boot from when I was debugging this problem.

It could be worth running the appropriate make_bootable command for your OS from the USB stick (running as administrator) .  I have see cases where the USB Creator tool seems to fail writing to the boot sector to make the flash drive bootable for some reason.