• [6.9] After moving to 6.9 local GUI mode not working

NLS
    • Minor

The whole system seems to be working (VMs, containers, shares)... BUT the local (own) server GUI is not working.
    It actually stays on a clean black screen with a blinking cursor.

I thought everything was dead until I tried to access web GUI from my main PC and saw everything (else) was ok.
    I rebooted once to see if it was a one time issue, but it wasn't.

Not sure if the issue classifies as "minor" as it is quite major at least for me (I don't run the server headless).

quasar-ultima-diagnostics-20210306-1918.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 hours ago, guill_019 said:

Can I do something to make this a permanent fix or I need to wait for an OS update?

You can install my Intel-GPU-TOP Plugin from the CA App.

• Like 1
    4 hours ago, Kaldek said:

If @ich777 is responsible for this part of unRAID I'd say they'll be working on a fix ASAP.  They already provided a permanent fix for Nvidia drivers.

No I'm not responsible for this part of unRAID but I'm happy to help. ;)

• Like 1
    12 hours ago, ich777 said:

What device is choosen in the BIOS as the first graphics device?

Where is your Display connected to the Nvidia card or to the iGPU?

Have you also rebooted?

Is this all really needed in your syslinux.cfg:

BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui

Do you boot with Legacy or UEFI?

May I ask why do you installed the Nvidia-Driver if you use it for a VM, also the GT730 is not really a transcoding beast if you use it for that.

Thanks ICH777

Here are my answers

Both displays (Nvidia card and iGPU) are connected.

First graphic device is IGFX

Yes I rebooted

How can I clean the syslinux.cfg?

I boot with UEFI

I install Nvidia drivers because I'll install soon a PNY Quadro P2200 for transcode

The GT730 is only used for the VM display.

Thanks ICH777

Edited by Cyril83

@ich777 So for me to test...

Press CTRL+ALT+F1

Then type in 'modprobe i915' (without quotes)

Then type in '/etc/rc.d/rc.4' (without quotes)

OR

install  ich777 Intel-GPU-TOP plugin?

OK I have news.

I installed intel GPU Top plugin before reboot.

I rebooted, I still get a blank screen, BUT I think it is a different screen mode.

I have a smaller (bigger res?) cursor that DOES NOT blink.

CTRL-ALT-F1 does nothing.

I will remove the plugin and reboot again.

modprobe i915 and /etc/rc.d/rc.4 WORKED!

I have local GUI now.

@limetech maybe something for 6.9.2?

@ich777 intel GPU top didn't work at all (actually made things work as I couldn't call console with ctrl-alt-f1)

2 minutes ago, NLS said:

modprobe i915 and /etc/rc.d/rc.4 WORKED!

I have local GUI now.

@limetech maybe something for 6.9.2?

@ich777 intel GPU top didn't work at all (actually made things work as I couldn't call console with ctrl-alt-f1)

Great to know that it's now fixed for you too.

I will also wait from an official fix from limetech.

It was working without the plugin on 6.8; it should also work natively on 6.9

3 hours ago, Cyril83 said:

First graphic device is IGFX

Then install the Intel-GPU-TOP Plugin (if your iGPU is from Intel) from the CA App.

How can I clean the syslinux.cfg?

Go to 'Main' then click on 'Flash' (the blue text), clean this up a bit (a clean configuration looks like the following screenshot) and after you did that click on 'Apply' and reboot:

grafik.png.cf5475a4379ad91a58487195515cf049.png

I install Nvidia drivers because I'll install soon a PNY Quadro P2200 for transcode

If you set the primary graphics to the iGPU then you can disconnect the cable from the Nvidia Card because it won't output anything.

EDIT: @guill_019 The fix would be what I wrote below, hopefully it will work. ;)

1 hour ago, NLS said:

I rebooted, I still get a blank screen, BUT I think it is a different screen mode.

Only for you information, my Plugin does the exact same thing as you did manually...

Can you try one other thing.

Please try to execute this command from the command line (without my Plugin installed):

if [ ! -d /boot/config/modprobe.d ]; then
    	mkdir -p /boot/config/modprobe.d
    fi
    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

and then again reboot and see if you got a screen output -> this should be the proper solution for the Intel iGPU's.

• Like 1

great thanks @ich777

i recover local GUI with command lines modprobe i915 and /etc/rc.d/rc.4

It works!! like other users,

But now, local GUI display is on my nvidia card (curiously).

I didn't think to uninstall nvidia driver plugin...

Is there a trick to move the local gui to the igfx ?

Thanks for the progress

9 minutes ago, Cyril83 said:

i recover local GUI with command lines modprobe i915 and /etc/rc.d/rc.4

It works!! like other users,

So you have a Intel iGPU I think and a Nvidia GPU for transcoding am I right?

Have you set the main display output in your BIOS to the iGPU? What iGPU do you have or better speaking which processor?

9 minutes ago, Cyril83 said:

But now, local GUI display is on my nvidia card (curiously).

That should be no problem since when you use it in Docker containers it will not affect the capabilities or the performance of the card.

@ich777

You're right

in bios main output is igfx.

Bios launch, OS Key boot are on Igfx output until blank screen

local Gui is on nvidia card (user + password and local interface)

Here is my hardware config (+msi GT730 graphic card)

Capture.JPG

6 minutes ago, Cyril83 said:

Here is my hardware config (+msi GT730 graphic card)

Bind the GT730 that is for the VM to VFIO (Tools -> System Devices -> Select everything that is related to the card and press Apply), so Unraid can't use the card for video output.

Also why are you using the P2000 for transcoding?

The i3-8100 has about the same transcoding perfomance as the P2000 and is more efficient than the P2000 and also has no limits in simultaneous transcodes. ;)

• Like 1
    3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Bind the GT730 that is for the VM to VFIO (Tools -> System Devices -> Select everything that is related to the card and press Apply), so Unraid can't use the card for video output.

The i3-8100 has about the same transcoding perfomance as the P2000 and is more efficient than the P2000 and also has no limits in simultaneous transcodes. ;)

I did it (bind the GPU) but i lose localGUI again. Should I retry the command line?

I choose to add a dedicated P2200 because of the intense CPU load during in transcode task.

Plex could have 8 users at the same time.

Maybe I'm wrong.  🙂

7 minutes ago, Cyril83 said:

I choose to add a dedicated P2200 because of the intense CPU load during in transcode task.

I think you get me wrong...

Use the iGPU (QuickSync - this is also Hardware transcoding) not the CPU (this is Software transcoding), simply install my Intel-GPU-Top Plugin that will enable the iGPU and then you have to add a device to the Plex/Jellyfin/Emby container template with the path '/dev/dri' and remove the Nvidia entries:

grafik.png.60ad009ecf4264ae150288a1dfe1c6a9.png

7 minutes ago, Cyril83 said:

Plex could have 8 users at the same time.

That should be no problem as long as you don't transcoding only 4K files (but 8x 4K transcodes is also too much for the P2000).

This is completely off topic here, eventually start another thread and mention me there, or look for something like Intel iGPU and Plex, you even can install the GPU Statistics Plugin from @b3rs3rk and see the usage of your Intel iGPU.

• Like 2
    4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Only for you information, my Plugin does the exact same thing as you did manually...

Can you try one other thing.

Please try to execute this command from the command line (without my Plugin installed):

if [ ! -d /boot/config/modprobe.d ]; then
    	mkdir -p /boot/config/modprobe.d
    fi
    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

and then again reboot and see if you got a screen output -> this should be the proper solution for the Intel iGPU's.

OK will do this in an hour or so.

If I can read this correctly, I make this folder if it doesn't exist and then update the date attribute of i915.conf? (does this also make a null file if it doesn't exist?)

2 minutes ago, NLS said:

If I can read this correctly, I make this folder if it doesn't exist and then update the date attribute of i915.conf? (does this also make a null file if it doesn't exist?)

This will check if the folder exist, if not create otherwise do nothing and then create an empty file to activate the iGPU, I think you missed the release post of 6.9.0beta35, this is now the default way to enable the iGPU on boot.

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

This will check if the folder exist, if not create otherwise do nothing and then create an empty file to activate the iGPU, I think you missed the release post of 6.9.0beta35, this is now the default way to enable the iGPU on boot.

This is what I said. OK will try later. (made the file and folder, just waiting for reboot)
    I did not run any beta (for this beta cycle) - my server was too busy these last few months.

Edited by NLS
    • Like 1

@ich777 yeap... the edit fixed the problem.
    Something for 6.9.2, probably for people with intel gfx and not having installed any 6.9 beta.

Thank you, appreciate the help.

7 hours ago, ich777 said:

It works! Thanks a lot @ich777

I'll wait patch/OSupdate for the localGUI issue.

You're very helpfull

• Like 1
    On 3/10/2021 at 6:00 AM, Kaldek said:

@ich777 I have confirmed this works.  Thanks, I'll happily wait for the fix.

Hello,

I seem to be missing something. Yesterday I upgraded to 6.9.1 from 6.9.0-rc2 plex and the nvidia driver are working perfectly. when my system rebooted overnight I lost the webgui on the server itself.

I am running a dell r710 with a p2000for transcoding. ctrl-alt-f1 does open the console My nvidia plugin is 21.03.10

I tried to choose safemode w/gui but was unable to make changes.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely sure that this is a case of operator malfunction, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I dropped a diagnostic just in case it might help

Chas

tower-diagnostics-20210311-1717.zip

Edited by kysdaddy
    5 hours ago, kysdaddy said:

I tried to choose safemode w/gui but was unable to make changes.

Safemode will disable all Plugins so the Nvidia Driver isn't working, what changes do you want apply?

5 hours ago, kysdaddy said:

Yesterday I upgraded to 6.9.1 from 6.9.0-rc2 plex and the nvidia driver are working perfectly. when my system rebooted overnight I lost the webgui on the server itself.

Was it working before the upgrade and now it doesn't or was it working on 6.9.1 also and then the server rebooted and now it doesn't?

The only reason that I tried safe mode was to see if the display worked. The odd part was not being able to change the boot screen at all.

Ok here is where the operator malfunction really comes into the equation, I don't know if the display on the server was working immediately after the upgrade to 6.9.1. I did the upgrade remotely from a desktop machine. The server monitor is normally turned off, only turned on when there is a need to do something directly on that machine.

Chas

1 hour ago, kysdaddy said:

I don't know if the display on the server was working immediately after the upgrade to 6.9.1.

Have you tried already to boot into the CLI without the GUI?

As I see from your diagnostics you are booting into GUI mode.

1 hour ago, kysdaddy said:

The only reason that I tried safe mode was to see if the display worked. The odd part was not being able to change the boot screen at all.

What primary graphics card is choosen in the BIOS itself?

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you tried already to boot into the CLI without the GUI?

As I see from your diagnostics you are booting into GUI mode.

What primary graphics card is choosen in the BIOS itself?

Let me start by saying I apologize for my ignorance. 

I checked the Bios of my Dell r710 and did not see a primary graphics card setting Here are the pages I found that involve graphics.

Booting into cli works, ctrl-alt-f1 works and booting into safe-mode without plugins the display works as well.

Does the new plugin disable the onboard graphic when it enables the nvidia card? 

I'm not able to get output from the display port on the nvidia card either due to the placement of the card in they chassis. The Nvidia card was added for plex transcoding only.

Am I missing something here?

Chas

messages_0 (5).jpeg

messages_0 (4).jpeg

messages_0 (3).jpeg

1 minute ago, kysdaddy said:

Booting into cli works, ctrl-alt-f1 works and booting into safe-mode without plugins the display works as well.

Currently the Nvidia Plugin is configured to take over for GUI mode.

In theory it is possible that I change the plugin again a bit so that you can disable the Nvidia Card for video output...

But I will test a few things after the weekend and will look further into it, can you wait until I have done this?

I don't want do do only workarounds, I want a proper solution to this and this involves some testing.

May I also ask which onboard graphics do you have? Is it some kind of ASPEED chip?