• [6.9] After moving to 6.9 local GUI mode not working


    NLS
    • Minor

    The whole system seems to be working (VMs, containers, shares)... BUT the local (own) server GUI is not working.
    It actually stays on a clean black screen with a blinking cursor.

    I thought everything was dead until I tried to access web GUI from my main PC and saw everything (else) was ok.
    I rebooted once to see if it was a one time issue, but it wasn't.

    Not sure if the issue classifies as "minor" as it is quite major at least for me (I don't run the server headless).

     

    quasar-ultima-diagnostics-20210306-1918.zip



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

    First things first if you quote someone you have to actually click on the name otherwise the person get's no notification

    Good to know!

     

    10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

    May I ask to which card the monitor is connected to?

    Connected to integrated graphics. The Quadro is solely for Plex transcoding.

     

    12 minutes ago, ich777 said:

    But from what I see from your Diagnostics you already done that.

    Yup, needed to to get onboard graphics working in 6.9 with the new IPMI firmware that uses the newer Aspeed drivers.

     

    For the record, I was not getting a black screen before. This was the first time I rebooted since installing on 6.9.1 (was having issues with it not seeing the card after the upgrade, so uninstalled and reinstall fixed that, but I never rebooted after reinstalling since it's not required) so it was the first time I noticed this issue. Any ideas why I'm getting the black screen now even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia plugin?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, TechGeek01 said:

    Connected to integrated graphics. The Quadro is solely for Plex transcoding.

    But you can also connect it to the Nvidia Card since it can output the GUI and also use it for transcoding in whatever. ;)

     

    3 minutes ago, TechGeek01 said:

    Any ideas why I'm getting the black screen now even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia plugin?

    Not really, because the only thing I added to the Nvidia Driver Plugin is that it creates a xorg.conf file that it can display it through the Nvidia card, I also thought about an option to disable this (can be easily implemented but I think this is a really rare usecase and a user can easily mess up the whole Plugin or at least how it works and break it).

     

    Or have you already tried to reboot without the Nvidia Driver Plugin installed if not try that and I will think about again to implement to disable to create a xorg.conf file.

     

    Also what happens if you connect the monitor to the Quadro?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 minutes ago, ich777 said:

    But you can also connect it to the Nvidia Card since it can output the GUI and also use it for transcoding in whatever.

    I actually do not have adapters for mini DisplayPort, so that's not happening currently 😛

     

    13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

    Or have you already tried to reboot without the Nvidia Driver Plugin installed if not try that and I will think about again to implement to disable to create a xorg.conf file.

    Yeah tried that already. Boots to GUI fine without the plugin installed. So something changed either in 6.9.1 or in the plugin.

     

    Not a huge deal having it be headless for a bit since I can get to the web interface just fine, but it would be nice to have that fixed 😛.

     

    Keep up the great work, man!

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    23 minutes ago, TechGeek01 said:

    Yeah tried that already. Boots to GUI fine without the plugin installed. So something changed either in 6.9.1 or in the plugin.

    In the Plugin. ;)

    I will look into it to make it changeable... But I will make this command line only because this is really a rare usecase.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I'm not sure I understand why this worked for me, so hopefully someone can explain.  I upgraded to 6.9 fine and everything worked.  I upgraded today to 6.9.1 and couldn't get into the GUI.  I found this thread and typed in the 'modprobe i915' etc and it started working again.  The weird thing I don't understand is I have a Ryzen 1600 on a Gigabyte AX370 motherboard with a Radeon HD 8570 gpu card.  I don't think intel iGPU applies to me, so why did this work?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, simcole said:

    The weird thing I don't understand is I have a Ryzen 1600 on a Gigabyte AX370 motherboard with a Radeon HD 8570 gpu card.  I don't think intel iGPU applies to me, so why did this work?

    This shouldn't work for you...

    Instead I would try to do a 'modprobe radeon', that should be the right module for your HD8570.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    37 minutes ago, ich777 said:

    This shouldn't work for you...

    Instead I would try to do a 'modprobe radeon', that should be the right module for your HD8570.

    Excuse my ignorance, so would the config and changes you suggested translate 1 to 1?  

     

    1) Login to command prompt

    2) 'modprobe radeon' and '/etc/rc.d/rc.4/

    3) somehow make it permanent

     

    I'm hesitant to change anything because it's working.  It makes me believe whatever error occurred with people upgrading to 6.9.1 is deeper than this.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 hours ago, simcole said:

    somehow make it permanent

    Add the two lines to your go file.

     

    11 hours ago, simcole said:

    It makes me believe whatever error occurred with people upgrading to 6.9.1 is deeper than this.

    You have to enable you graphics driver since beta35 because the drivers are blacklisted by default, but not sure if that's the exact problem because I haven't got the time yet to investigate further.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 3/12/2021 at 1:59 PM, ich777 said:

    Currently the Nvidia Plugin is configured to take over for GUI mode.

    In theory it is possible that I change the plugin again a bit so that you can disable the Nvidia Card for video output...

     

    But I will test a few things after the weekend and will look further into it, can you wait until I have done this?

    I don't want do do only workarounds, I want a proper solution to this and this involves some testing.

     

    May I also ask which onboard graphics do you have? Is it some kind of ASPEED chip?

    Ich777, any movement on this issue? I have been quietly monitoring looking for a response but it's been quiet for a while.

    Chas

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, kysdaddy said:

    Ich777, any movement on this issue?

    Yes, it should be resolved...

    What was your issue exactly?

    Nvidia or intel?

    To what device is the screen connected if you got more rhan one gpu in your system?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 3/26/2021 at 12:08 PM, ich777 said:

    Yes, it should be resolved...

    What was your issue exactly?

    Nvidia or intel?

    To what device is the screen connected if you got more rhan one gpu in your system?

    Thanks, what am I missing? I am running a dell R710 with an onboard chip:

    NamePowerEdge R710 MGA G200eW WPCM450

    ManufacturerMatrox Electronics Systems Ltd.

     

    and a Nvidia P2000.

    My monitor is connected to the onboard vga.

    I see the screen up until the gui loads and then it is just a blank screen, no curser.

    OS Version 6.9.1 2021-03-08

    Nvidia plugin 2021.03.22 v460.67

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, kysdaddy said:

    My monitor is connected to the onboard vga.

    I implemented a function so that the Nvidia Driver plugin actually don't creates a xorg.config file but you have to edit a file manually on your USB Boot device to enable this.

     

    To fix this open up a Unraid Terminal and do the following:

    1. Type in: 'nano /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg'
    2. If the line that starts with 'disable_xconfig...' isn't in the file append this: 'disable_xconfig=true' at the end to the file, if it's already there change the value from 'false' to 'true'
    3. Press CTRL+X
    4. Press Y
    5. Press RETURN
    6. Restart your server

     

    I don't implemented this in the GUI because this is a very rare use case and I only needed it once.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    35 minutes ago, ich777 said:

    I implemented a function so that the Nvidia Driver plugin actually don't creates a xorg.config file but you have to edit a file manually on your USB Boot device to enable this.

     

    To fix this open up a Unraid Terminal and do the following:

    1. Type in: 'nano /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg'
    2. If the line that starts with 'disable_xconfig...' isn't in the file append this: 'disable_xconfig=true' at the end to the file, if it's already there change the value from 'false' to 'true'
    3. Press CTRL+X
    4. Press Y
    5. Press RETURN
    6. Restart your server

     

    I don't implemented this in the GUI because this is a very rare use case and I only needed it once.

    Thank you for your help, that worked perfectly.Server booted with the GUI first try.

     

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I lost by webgui on local machine too. Tried everything in this forum. And only setting disable_xconfig=true worked. Thank you. Haven't had the gui drive i updated to 6.9.1. Even tried to downgrade back to 6.9.0. that didn't help. So I'm glad this did. Thanks.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hey all, i dont know if my issue is any different to what others have been experiencing on here but i cant access web gui after rebooting server. Can SSH in, can see my ip and unraid version when monitor connected to MB with the option to login in. Just cant access webgui unless i boot in safemode with no plugins. 

    What i have tried so far: 

    1. rebooting (failed)

    2. rebooting safe mode no plugins (web gui works)

    3. reboot unraid os normally (failed) 

    4. removed nvidia driver through 'plugin remove nvidia-driver.plg' then reboot (still can access web gui)

    5. reboot in safemode witout plugins and installed latest nvidia driver. (still failed) 

    6. removed nvidia and nerdpack folders from flash drive plugin folder. (still failed) 

    7. replaced 'go' file on flash drive from new unraid .zip file from unraid website. (still failed) Read this on another thread..

     

    What am i missing .... Could anyone help? i'm a longtime unraid user but still beginner level. Use it for plex sonarr radarr automation etc. 

     

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 hours ago, HassF said:

    What am i missing .... Could anyone help?

    Diagnostics?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, trurl said:

    Diagnostics?

    Didnt know how to extract it without webGui until coming across this post just now


    Also seems to be working this morning. 

    Only thing I've done is upgrade from basic to plus (added more drives) whilst in safe mode. 

    Diagnostics attached anyway. 

    diagnostics-20210405-1204.zip

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, HassF said:

    Didnt know how to extract it without webGui until coming across this post just now

    Do you mean you also couldn't reach webUI from another computer? That isn't clear from your earlier post.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, HassF said:

    in safe mode. 

    Try it with all of your usual plugins EXCEPT nvidia.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, trurl said:

    Try it with all of your usual plugins EXCEPT nvidia.

    I did man, completely removed it using "plugin remove" command.

    Didn't do anything 

    21 hours ago, trurl said:

    Do you mean you also couldn't reach webUI from another computer? That isn't clear from your earlier post.

    Yeah from another computer or any device the webgui was unreachable, using "servername.local" and also the IP address directly unless i boot the server up in safemode with no plugins, only then i could reach the webgui from other devices.


    I actually re-downloaded the nvidia plugin whist in safemode, so i could get plex up and running.

    The next day I bought unraid plus and upgraded the key, and I restarted to test 1 more time before beginning the process of disabling plugins, 1 by 1... thankfully it just worked.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, HassF said:

    I bought unraid plus and upgraded the key

    Only coz i added 2 drives.
    Main reason i needed to reboot my server for the first time after upgrading to 6.9.1.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 3/30/2021 at 7:15 AM, kysdaddy said:

    Thanks, what am I missing? I am running a dell R710 with an onboard chip:

    NamePowerEdge R710 MGA G200eW WPCM450

    ManufacturerMatrox Electronics Systems Ltd.

     

    and a Nvidia P2000.

    My monitor is connected to the onboard vga.

    I see the screen up until the gui loads and then it is just a blank screen, no curser.

    OS Version 6.9.1 2021-03-08

    Nvidia plugin 2021.03.22 v460.67

    THANK YOU SIR! This worked for me too.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 3/31/2021 at 6:59 AM, ich777 said:

    I implemented a function so that the Nvidia Driver plugin actually don't creates a xorg.config file but you have to edit a file manually on your USB Boot device to enable this.

     

    To fix this open up a Unraid Terminal and do the following:

    1. Type in: 'nano /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg'
    2. If the line that starts with 'disable_xconfig...' isn't in the file append this: 'disable_xconfig=true' at the end to the file, if it's already there change the value from 'false' to 'true'
    3. Press CTRL+X
    4. Press Y
    5. Press RETURN
    6. Restart your server

     

    I don't implemented this in the GUI because this is a very rare use case and I only needed it once.

     

    running 6.9.2 ,

    this worked for my r510 server,

    intel gpu top NOT install,

    nvidia P600

     

    thanks!!!!!!

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I posted this in another topic, but this one seems to be more current, so reposting here:

     

    I'm having same issue.... cannot boot GUI mode.  I have tried various settings on BIOS to no avail. So far I have not tried legacy boot, since my boot flash drive is UEFI only.  Not sure why that would work, but its the only thing I haven't checked.

     

    I have Asus X570 Tuf MB with AMD 3400G processor with onboard graphics.  CSM enabled.  Running 6.9.2 version Unraid.

     

    Any help would be appreciated ... or is this an Unraid bug.  I'd like to get it fixed so I can use Krusader file manager to make degoogling easier.

    Edited just now by 45leopard

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hi All,

     

    I'm having the exact same problem. I have an intel processor with built in graphics.

     

    Since upgrading from 6.8.3. the local console doesn't work.

     

    Issuing the followng commands brings the console back, but after a reboot I am back to a flashing cursor:

     Ctrl - Alt - F1

    modprobe i915

    /etc/rc.d/rc.4

     

    I upgraded from 6.9.1 to 6.9.2 but the problem is still there.

     

    Is there a fix in the winds?

     

    Thanks

     

     

     

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Status Definitions

     

    Open = Under consideration.

     

    Solved = The issue has been resolved.

     

    Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

     

    Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

     

    Retest = Please retest in latest release.


    Priority Definitions

     

    Minor = Something not working correctly.

     

    Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

     

    Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

     

    Other = Announcement or other non-issue.