• Unraid 6. 9x docker containers will not start until docker is turned off and on again after boot

Darrell
    • Annoyance

I've noticed this issue since 6.9 RC1. The issue was not present in 6.8x

When I reboot the server, the docker containers that have network set to br0 will not auto start. If I try to manually start the affected docker containers, I will get an error "Execution error no such container."

Any applications that have network settings to "host" or "bridge" auto start without issue.

The only way I can get the docker containers that have network set to br0 to start, is to go into settings disable docker and then enable docker. After doing this, all docker containers will start without issue.

I've tried deleting the docker image and reinstalling all the docker apps to no avail. 

This is happening on both of my unraid servers

Any suggestions?

apollo-diagnostics-20210301-1957.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It looks like you have a Bond set up, but only one port configured within that bond, so docker believes the port to be 'down' (the mac address of the bond is already in use by the bridge, and duplicate mac addresses means whomever shows up first gets to be on the network while the other one can't).

Mar  1 19:43:55 Apollo kernel: bond0: (slave eth0): link status definitely down, disabling slave
    Mar  1 19:43:55 Apollo kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
    Mar  1 19:43:55 Apollo kernel: bond0: now running without any active interface!

Did you previously have two NICs set up by chance?

Head to the network settings, disable bonding on the port (remove slave interfaces as well), and you should be set. The reason changing it to host or bridge works is because each of those relies upon the physical mac address, which is available on the network as soon as the server's connected and the network driver loads.

Edited by BVD

I did have two NIC cards setup previously on this server, but changed the cpu/motherboard that only had a single NIC. I don't think I ever setup bonding, but you are correct. The network settings had bonding enabled. 

I disabled bonding and rebooted the server. The issues persists. When I tried to manually start the containers, the error is "Execution error no such container."

When I went into settings and disabled docker and then reenabled docker, all dockers containers started normally.

FYI I also have this exact issue on my second unraid server.

Edited by Darrell

Set something that is host or bridge to be first in the start up order, then put a delay of maybe 20 seconds on it so the system pauses after starting it before carrying on with everything else.

29 minutes ago, Squid said:

Set something that is host or bridge to be first in the start up order, then put a delay of maybe 20 seconds on it so the system pauses after starting it before carrying on with everything else.

How can I add a delay?

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Advanced View

Found it! I tried your suggestion of adding a 20 second delay after a host or bridge that was moved to the top of the docker list. The issue still remains.