• [6.9.0, 6.9.1, 6.9.2] Extended SMART self-test does not prevent spin-down

John_M
    • Annoyance

If an extended SMART self-test takes longer than the configured spin-down delay for the array disk, then the disk spins down and the self test is aborted. This behaviour is different from Unraid 6.8, where spin-down was temporarily suspended until after the self-test had completed. The message "SMART self test in progress" appears but the spin-down prevention doesn't operate.

Previously noticed affecting 6.9.0-rc2 and reported here:

• Like 1
    • Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I've retested with Unraid 6.9.1 and the behaviour seems to be a little different.

Drives are still spun down after the spin-down timer runs down, despite "SMART self-test in progress" being displayed BUT the self-test seems to be suspended instead of aborted. Switching back to the Main page and spinning up the drive then clicking on the drive name shows the self-test to be still in progress. After some more minutes the progress updated to 20%. I'll leave it for another hour and see if it spins down again. I expect it will.

• Thanks 1

As expected, it did spin down again after another hour. I spun it up again and the self-test continued, advancing to 30% complete after a while. I've now temporarily changed the spin-down delay manually to 8 hours to allow it to complete overnight.

12 hours ago, John_M said:

The behaviour in Unraid 6.9.2 is the same.

Ok we can check if self-test is in progress when we think it's time to spin-down and reset spin-down timer instead of spinning down.  I'll add that to work queue for next release.

• Thanks 1

The current implementation in the GUI is a kind of a hack. Before starting the long self-test it will change the spin-down timer setting to "never" and restores it to original setting once the self-test is completed. Though setting restoral doesn't always work.

If you plan changes, we should address the GUI too and make it a proper solution inline with emhttpd.

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

Before starting the long self-test it will change the spin-down timer setting to "never" and restores it to original setting once the self-test is completed. Though setting restoral doesn't always work.

That's how it used to work for me on Unraid 6.8 and earlier and, yes, I noticed that sometimes it remained stuck on "Never". It all changed during the 6.9-rcs with the self-tests being aborted due to the disk spinning down. That changed again between 6.9.0 and 6.9.1 where the disk still spins down after the configured delay but the self-test is no longer aborted and is able to continue when the disk is spun up again. I like Tom's idea of checking for a self-test in progress when the timer runs down. In the meantime, it's just an annoyance and if I need to do a self-test "for real" I'll either stop the array or set the time-out to "Never" manually.

3 hours ago, bonienl said:

The current implementation in the GUI is a kind of a hack. Before starting the long self-test it will change the spin-down timer setting to "never" and restores it to original setting once the self-test is completed. Though setting restoral doesn't always work.

If you plan changes, we should address the GUI too and make it a proper solution inline with emhttpd.

I, umm..., ripped that code out, I think for 6.9.1?   maybe 6.9.0.