• [6.9.0] Won't boot after 6.8.3 to 6.9.0 update

Jobine
    • Solved Minor

Hi, I have a little problem with the last update.

I use the Update Assistant to be sure...

I updated from 6.8.3 to 6.9 and my server was restarting in a loop

/bzimage...ok
    /bzroot...ok

and reboot non stop.

Any idea ?

Thank,

IMG_0339 (1).JPG

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Try redoing the flash drive, backup current flash, redo it using the USB tool, restore the config folder from the backup.

10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Try redoing the flash drive, backup current flash, redo it using the USB tool, restore the config folder from the backup.

I used the usb tool to create a new one.

When you say to "restore the config folder from the backup.

Is there a special tool or I just copy and overwrite files on the USB drive?

Subsequently, for the registration key, do I have to restore it? or test everything before ?

Thank,

Edited by Jobine
    2 minutes ago, Jobine said:

just copy and overwrite files

^this

2 minutes ago, Jobine said:

for the key, do I have to restore it?

If you mean your license .key file, it is in that same config folder you will be copying

4 minutes ago, Jobine said:

used the usb tool to create a new one.

If you created a new one on a different flash drive then of course you will have to transfer license to the new GUID.

I wanted to make a new flash drive, but when I transfer the license, my old usb key becomes blacklisted.

I therefore prefer not to replace my flash drive...

I saw that there were plenty of files on my flash drive. Can I delete all files beginning with "._" ?

Thank,

Stupid question, can I keep my server on, remove the flash drive, redo the flash drive with the USB Tool, copy the "config" directory, put it back and restart the server ?

4 minutes ago, Jobine said:

Can I delete all files beginning with "._" ?

Those must have been put there by some Apple product and are just annoying.

1 minute ago, Jobine said:

Stupid question, can I keep my server on, remove the flash drive, redo the flash drive with the USB Tool, copy the "config" directory, put it back and restart the server ?

Why? I don't recommend it and what would it accomplish except for a few minutes of extra runtime?

No boot for the 2nd reboot after update...

If return to 6.8.3 is not possible (no backup), is it possible to recover the system (pro version)?

Desperate user

Look on your flash drive, during the update, it creates a "previous" directory.

Make a backup of everything, before moving the files.

sorry it's the first time I have to do this. Where must I copy the "previous" files in the flash drive to recover the 6.8.3 system? Thanks Jobine

The first time is the one that scares the most.

Normally, the files in previous are those at the root of the flash drive.

It works but I lose my SSD cache drive. It appears now in unassigned device. Maybe one of the bug origin. I will restore my cache drive and reboot 2 times to be sure the everything works again.

No OS update for me now!

Thanks a lot Jobine.

• Haha 1

I've have an issue with the microcode that's in bzroot causing it to hang at "bzroot... OK".  Running on a Supermicro X10 MB with a Xeon E5 V3 with ESXI 7.

If you want to try without the microcode, after installing the 6.9 update via the GUI, run the following commands before rebooting.

cp /boot/bzroot /boot/bzroot-orig
    dd if=/boot/bzroot-orig bs=512 skip=$(cpio -ivt -H newc < /boot/bzroot 2>&1 > /dev/null | awk '{print $1}') of=/boot/bzroot

Those commands will strip out the microcode.

-SeeDrs

Edited by SeeDrs
    1 hour ago, Cyril83 said:

It works but I lose my SSD cache drive.

This is mentioned in the release notes: https://wiki.unraid.net/Unraid_OS_6.9.0#Multiple_Pools

Note: A pre-6.9.0 cache disk/pool is now simply a pool named "cache".  When you upgrade a server which has a cache disk/pool defined, a backup of config/disk.cfg will be saved to config/disk.cfg.bak, and then cache device assignment settings are moved out of config/disk.cfg and into a new file, config/pools/cache.cfg.  If later you revert back to a pre-6.9.0 Unraid OS release you will lose your cache device assignments and you will have to manually re-assign devices to cache.  As long as you reassign the correct devices, data should remain intact.