• [6.9.1] Docker Update Check not reliable for external container

Thx And Bye
    • Annoyance

I'm using a couple of Docker containers with docker-compose on my system.

One of the stacks is for my web-services (nginx, nextcloud, wordpress) but the exact containers don't really matter.  

I use docker-compose though a docker-container (docker/compose:latest).  

The problem I have is, that the "Check for Updates" in the Unraid WebUI only works once for those containers.  

After creation it'll show "up-to-date" just fine, but after detecting an update once, it'll never change, even if the container is updated though docker-compose. The check for updates routine should properly check for updates, even for those containers.

To reproduce:

• Simply setup a stack via docker-compose. I use this alias to invoke the compose container (so compose works just like it normally would though the CLI):
    alias docker-compose='docker run --rm \
        -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
        -v "$PWD:$PWD" \
        -w="$PWD" \
        docker/compose:latest'
    • Press "Check for Updates" in the Docker section of the unraid WebUI, it'll show "up-to-date"
    • Wait for an update on one of the containers in the stack.
    • Check for Updates in the WebUI again, it'll show "apply update"
    • Update the container via compose (docker-compose pull, (docker-compose down), docker-compose up -d)
    • Check for Updates in the WebUI again, it'll still show "apply update" even if the container should show up-to-date.

The Portainer instance I've running correctly shows the container being on the correct image (latest, stable, etc.), just Unraid still "thinks" that there is a update available.

My installed Plugins (even if I think that they are completely unrelated): 

• Community Applications

• Dynamix Cache Directories

• Dynamix File Integrity

• Unassigned Devices

• Unassigned Devices Plus

• Unraid Nvidia

The system is running on a X370-Pro, Ryzen 1700X, 32GB ECC RAM @ 2666MHz, GTX 1650 LP, 400W SeaSonic PSU and a bunch of drives.

boxofcare-diagnostics-20200515-1421.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

+1 for me.

I manage my containers with Docker Compose (installed using the instructions here).

Watchtower is keeping my containers up to date and I also get these flaky update available messages.

I've crossed checked my images using 

docker images

and the tags all match the reported tags in docker hub.

While it may not be the answer you're looking for, by using docker compose, you are bypassing the system the way it is designed to work, and glitches may be expected

While I understand that this isn't the intended way to use container on UnRAID and am transitioning over my stacks from docker-compose at some point, I still think that something as basic as checking if a running container has an update available or not should work. 

Ideally the UnRAID UI would support compose files somewhere in an advanced view directly and then deal with those separately from the rest.

I found a "solution" but I wouldn't call it safe, by mucking with the docker.img file mounted to /var/lib/docker.

The docker update info seems to be saved to /var/lib/docker/unraid-update-status.json

First I made sure to update my stacks

I nulled out the "local" and "remote" properties to null and "status" to undef (example below)

"qmcgaw/gluetun:latest": {
      "local": null,
      "remote": null,
       "status": "undef"
     }

Then I went back to the Docker tab and hit "Check for Updates" and the statuses went back to "up-to-date"

Unsure if it will go back to "apply update" when a new image is available, I'll try to remember to report back

Seems like it will change to "apply update" when a new image is available, but you have to manually update the unraid-update-status.json again to clear it