• [6.9.1] Setting warning/critical temperature in SMART settings not possible

hawihoney
    • Solved Minor

If I set these values and hit Apply the values are set back to the default values:

Warning disk temperature threshold

Critical disk temperature threshold

The disks in question are M.2 NVMe devices running in single disk XFS pools.

I tried to set these values to 60/65 celsius. After hitting Apply these values go back to 45/55 celsius.

• Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Some users are having issues editing smart-one.cfg, I'm also having trouble with both my updated servers, curiously it works on my test server, what you can do for now is to manually edit smart-one.cfg like so:

[TOSHIBA-RD400_664S107XTPGV]
    hotTemp="65"
    maxTemp="70"

[WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0_19295E805489]
    hotTemp="65"
    maxTemp="70"

You can copy/paste the device ID after clicking on the device:

image.png.ad7f09eebc7b7ac3ebd4bcfe7089bdc4.png

Ah, thanks.

1.) Do I need to uppercase all characters - as in your example?

2.) Are DOS CR/LF allowed?

3.) Do I need to reboot?

2 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

1.) Do I need to uppercase all characters - as in your example?

Just copy/paste as is.

2 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

2.) Are DOS CR/LF allowed?

Yes, I used notepad.

3 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

3.) Do I need to reboot?

No, just reload the page.

THANK YOU!

I was going nuts trying to change the setting while drowning in email and web portal alerts for high temps and SMART errors that are not applicable to the SSDs in my cache pool.

For me it does not work.
    All of my unassigned SSDs are configured within /boot/config/Smart-one.cfg

But the notification is related to the default temp for HDDs :(

10 hours ago, limetech said:

Changed Status to Retest

It works for me expect for one drive (UnRAID v6.9.2).  

I suspect it has to do with the identifier in the webUI having a dot that is substituted with a underscore in the smart-one.cfg.  

WebUI: Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_M.2_250GB_S33CNX0H506075N  
    Conf : Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_M_2_250GB_S33CNX0H506075N

It's the dot in "M.2" that seems to cause the problem as changing the underscore to a dot in the config makes the values appear in the WebUI too.

Edited by Thx And Bye
    On 4/8/2021 at 12:23 PM, Thx And Bye said:

It works for me expect for one drive (UnRAID v6.9.2).  

I suspect it has to do with the identifier in the webUI having a dot that is substituted with a underscore in the smart-one.cfg.  

WebUI: Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_M.2_250GB_S33CNX0H506075N  
    Conf : Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_M_2_250GB_S33CNX0H506075N

It's the dot in "M.2" that seems to cause the problem as changing the underscore to a dot in the config makes the values appear in the WebUI too.

Thanks for reporting. I made a correction for this.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:47 AM, bonienl said:

Correction will be in the next version 6.9.2

I'm still unable to change my temps and have updated to 6.9.2

2 minutes ago, powderwt said:

I'm still unable to change my temps and have updated to 6.9.2

Please provide diagnostics, so I can have more insight.

For those still facing problems do the following:

1. Delete the file smart-one.cfg from your USB device
    2. Re-apply the custom settings for the disks you want to
    3. Settings will now be saved in the new format
    Edited by bonienl
    On 4/9/2021 at 2:39 PM, bonienl said:

For those still facing problems do the following:

1. Delete the file smart-one.cfg from your USB device
    2. Re-apply the custom settings for the disks you want to
    3. Settings will now be saved in the new format

Doesn't work.  Because every time you touch a particular disk's settings, it wipes the file out and writes only the settings for that ONE disk.

Edited by Espressomatic

i have this problem too! changing the temperature setting on one disk and then change smart setting on an another disk resets the first disk to the default settings... removing the smart-one.cfg does NOT fix this!

the smart attribute Notification settings are elso broken... (my telegramBOT can confirm this.)

noting visible in the logbooks...

edit:

manual edit the smart-one.cfg did work!! but i cant edit something in the GUI or the smart-one.cfg file will be over written...

Edited by sjaak
    • Like 1
    3 hours ago, sjaak said:

i have this problem too! changing the temperature setting on one disk and then change smart setting on an another disk resets the first disk to the default settings... removing the smart-one.cfg does NOT fix this!

the smart attribute Notification settings are elso broken... (my telegramBOT can confirm this.)

noting visible in the logbooks...

edit:

manual edit the smart-one.cfg did work!! but i cant edit something in the GUI or the smart-one.cfg file will be over written...

I ended up just editing the temp threshholds for all disks under the disk array settings and that works. Not ideal as only certain drives need set, but keeps me from getting push notifications constantly for the drives that run hotter 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm also affected by this bug.

Even manually editing the smart-one.cfg so that the correct values appear in the web gui, those values are not applied to alerts... see screenshot below:

327055120_Screenshot2021-05-01202746.png.39c3339019dcf3aae84fa450b1c315f6.thumb.png.7937233099312e25036784c2454126d1.png

On 4/16/2021 at 4:41 PM, sjaak said:

the smart attribute Notification settings are elso broken...

I got same bug and sometime smart-one.cfg corrupt, gui will mess up, I need edit it for fix. I haven't further troubleshoot.

1 hour ago, srirams said:

Even manually editing the smart-one.cfg so that the correct values appear in the web gui, those values are not applied to alerts... see screenshot below:

I got similar issue on UD SMART monitor, simple shoot still not fix the notification problem (  it misssing show the notification, not non-stop ). Setting in gobal just solve.

Just found this thread.  I've been having the same problem on 6.9.2, in that I cannot change the custom temperature thresholds for my three NVMe drives.

When I went to look at /boot/config/smart-one.cfg, it was actually empty.  A zero-byte file.  What I ended up doing was editing it and adding a space character and saving it, so that it wasn't totally empty.

Once I did that, updating the temperatures from the GUI now works properly.  No need for manual editing.

Something to try if you're seeing the same thing.

Hi,

Has this really been solved? It is still present in my system (6.9.2) and the above workarounds do not work. I can edit the smart-one.cfg file manually but manually set limits do not seem to work as already mentioned above by srirams on the 7th of May.

Kinds regards, Ruato

On 5/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, Ruato said:

Hi,

Has this really been solved? It is still present in my system (6.9.2) and the above workarounds do not work. I can edit the smart-one.cfg file manually but manually set limits do not seem to work as already mentioned above by srirams on the 7th of May.

Kinds regards, Ruato

It doesn't seem to be solved in itself. What I had to do is go to the /boot/config/smart-one.cfg file (you can use the config editor under Tools). And even though it showed the correct values for my SSD's which I set, it wasn't using those. It had other lines as well, which I think is some old settings which are dominating the custom settings.

smEvents="5|187|198|199"
    hotTemp="65"
    maxTemp="70"

So what I did is just clear the whole file and saved it. Then I set the custom thresholds for each SSD (through the Unraid UI) and so far it's been quiet with notifications.

EDIT: Unfortunately after a reboot the notifications came back again, even though the UI shows the right values. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Edited by Kaizac
    New info

+1

Under 6.9.2, the smart-one.cfg file behaves properly, in that GUI changes show up in the file and vice-versa.

However, I still get over-temp notifications in cases that I should not.