• [6.9.2] Disk accidentally added to pool, then removed, is wiped before array start

tjb_altf4
    • Minor

Caveat: I still need to confirm this 100% as a pool rebuild is taking time so I can't examine the disk.

So in the process of adding more storage to one of my pools, I accidentally added an unassigned disk ('storage') I normally use as a separate pool (not converted it to pool yet). 

I didn't notice my mistake initially, but needed to restart to reconfigure some drives... no array start has occurred yet.

On next reboot, still no array start array since reconfig, I noticed my mistake and unallocated that drive from the pool.

At this point the 'storage' disk is not part of the pool, all allocations are correct, array has just started.

Currently one of my pools is rebuilding (taking a while as its a large disk), however the unassigned disk ('storage') is not mounting, and logs show 

Oct  9 17:13:01 fortytwo unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdi1'...
    Oct  9 17:13:01 fortytwo unassigned.devices: Mounting partition '/dev/sdi1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/storage'...
    Oct  9 17:13:01 fortytwo unassigned.devices: No filesystem detected on '/dev/sdi1'.
    Oct  9 17:13:01 fortytwo unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD40EZRZ-xxxxCB0_WD-WCCxxxxxxxx' cannot be mounted.

following this one

Oct  9 17:12:17 fortytwo root: Device /dev/sdi1 is not a valid LUKS device.
    Oct  9 17:12:17 fortytwo emhttpd: shcmd (369): exit status: 1
    Oct  9 17:12:17 fortytwo emhttpd: shcmd (370): /sbin/wipefs -a /dev/sdi1
    Oct  9 17:12:17 fortytwo root: /dev/sdi1: 4 bytes were erased at offset 0x00000000 (xfs): 58 46 53 42

At this point I don't know if its being held back from mounting for the btrfs operation, or whether its actually gone, but the wipe command does not look promising.

note: the BTRFS operation looks like it has another 1.5 - 2 days before it completes.

fortytwo-diagnostics-20211010-0952.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The problem was likely the reboot, if you had unassigned the device pre-reboot it wouldn't have been wiped, but after rebooting it would be considered a pool disk and wiped after unassigning it, though if I'm correct it's still a bug.

• Like 1

In good news, the wipefs command logs what it wipes, so I was able to restore the erased filesystem and I have that drive up and running and will be migrating that data to its new pool later today.

image.thumb.png.c57bdcbe5bdfcbdabbee292b3aff0b74.png

image.thumb.png.1a4b7723334f9ce54cdd5feb6f1c7ea6.png

note: the reboot in between committing the pool changes (via array start) seems to have also caused this issue

Edited by tjb_altf4