• [6.9.2] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

Steinhose
    • Solved Urgent

Hello, unfortunately I have a problem what makes me crazy, my unraid crashes again and again. Sometimes it runs for 10 days sometimes only a few hours. Today it crashed twice. on 6.9.0-RC2 everything ran stable, about 30 days uptime.

The syslog is from the crash this morning, the photo from the crash this evening.

Unfortunately I can not see the crash in the syslog, but thankfully it is on the monitor.

PXL_20210427_195109103.thumb.jpg.bad58384777c76f6b3fbeb3e8d4c5582.jpg

Hardware:
    CPU: Intel Pentium Silber J5040

Mainboard: ASRock J5040-ITX
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Impact SO-DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400, CL14-14-14-35 (HX424S14IB2K2/16)  (2x 8GB)
    extra Storage controller: Syba SI-PEX40064

pontos-diagnostics-20210427-2226.zip syslog_crash_27_04

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hey there -- I've recently had huge stability issues with my own system, and they presented in a very similar way. You might try disabling C-States and see if it helps -- it seems to have, on mine.

You can do this from a terminal, with a simple one-line command. It uses the Linux kernel's sysfs tree to block c-state transitions. If you use this command, it is not persistant, and will be reset on reboot. If it helps, you can try to disable them in your BIOS instead, or you can set this command to be run on boot. If it doesn't help, just don't run it again.

for cpus in $(find /sys/devices/system/cpu -iname disable); do echo 1 > $cpus; done

Repercussions of disabling c-states are minor -- potential higher power draw, hotter temperatures, etc -- but should not be significant enough to be of concern for long-term use. YMMV.

• Thanks 1
    6 minutes ago, Steinhose said:

Thanks for your reply, but I thought this only affected the Ryzen 1000 CPUs. I tried it anyway :)

I'm on old Xeon hardware - predating Ryzen entirely - and it has, so far for me at least, fixed what appears to be a similarly-presenting problem, even if it's not the exact same one. I could be completely wrong on that logical leap, but here's crossed fingers none the less that it helps someone.