• [6.9.2] Mover does not move symlink files targeting non-existent files

bland328
    • Minor

Problem description

Under Unraid 6.9.2, mover appears to leave symbolic link files targeting non-existent files ("broken" symlink files) in the cache forever.

Though such symlinks are commonly called "broken" or "invalid" symlinks, those titles are a bit misleading; in truth, though they "feel" weird, they are perfectly legitimate file system objects with a variety of purposes and reasons for existing, so I hope/assume this is simply a bug and/or oversight in mover.

How to reproduce

Simply make a symlink to an invalid path in a user share that uses the cache, like this...

# ln -s /foo/bar /mnt/user/test/symlink

...then start the mover, and check to see if the symlink file has been moved to the array.

Notes

1. I see this both on a mature production server and on a newer box that still has a close-to-vanilla configuration; the attached diagnostics are from the latter.
    2. Before capturing diagnostics, I turned mover logging on and started mover to test against a /mnt/user/test/test_symlink file.
    3. I see "/mnt/cache/test/test_symlink No such file or directory" appears in the syslog, which may be a clue as to the bug causing this: broken symlink files are peculiar in that some methods of testing for existence fail because the symlink's target file doesn't exist (because the symlink is being "followed"). Here's an example of what I mean, in hopes it helps:

root@Tower:/mnt/user/test# ls -la test_symlink
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Apr 28 08:21 test_symlink -> /invalid/test/path
    root@Tower:/mnt/user/test# [[ -e test_symlink ]] && echo "exists" || echo "does not exist"
    does not exist
    root@Tower:/mnt/user/test# [[ -L test_symlink ]] && echo "exists" || echo "does not exist"
    exists

protekto-diagnostics-20210428-1027.zip

• Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm unsure on the right priority for this--it is certainly not an Urgent data-loss emergency, but also seems more than Minor, as it can be a significant problem for those relative few unlucky enough to run into it.

This affects me a lot, since I'm backing up my personal data onto my shares and I'm working alot with symlinks which on my share are often not pointing to valid files, but when put into the right context will be valid again.

The mover should not ignore invalid symlinks and just move them as well. Whether they are broken or not is the problem of the one who created them. 

Hi,

I've just realized I was experimenting the same issue (Unraid version : 6.11.5) when upgrading to a new cache pool (1xHDD --> mirrored 2xSSD).

The links were the certificate files in swag.

It seems the fix should be easy : remove avoiding "broken" symbolic links.

It should be up to the user whether or not to keep broken links.

Thanks,

Kam

Edited by Kam
    Mistakenly submitted before finishing typing