• [6.9.2] Regression in "Incorrect (Annoying) Notifications About Disk Utilization" that was fixed in 6.9.0/6.91

interwebtech
    • Minor

This refers to the issue I initially reported back before the 6.9.x series. It was fixed to great acclaim in 6.9 (at least from me lol). As you might recall, a change was made to the disk.cfg that caused it all to reset itself. At least that is how I understood it. The next update to 6.9.1 did not change this; still good with no erroneous warnings. However the update to 6.9.2 has brought it all back and in a much more widespread fashion. Whereas before I had usually only 3 or 4 disks (out of 15 array members) complaining, now I have 13 complaining. I even went so far as redistributing files on 3 disks that had entered the "red" warning stage so that all disks had at least 350GB of free space (all data disks are 8TB) but got another flood of critical warnings of impending doom, then "returned to normal" emails a moment later.

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

tower-diagnostics-20210408-2212.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

10 hours ago, interwebtech said:

So nobody else is seeing this behavior?

Just the once on the initial update to 6.9.0, but nothing since. I use the fill-up allocation method so I have several disks in the "red zone".

Just checked my overall disk setting for default warning disk utilization threshold. It was set at 95%. Critical threshold was set at 97%. All my disks report as 95% or less. I've bumped these up to 97% & 99% respectively. Maybe that will quiet the warnings. 

Feature request: Be able to MUTE these maybe on individual disk level. Reset and show warnings on reboot? That way I can see them when new version but silence them day to day.

28 minutes ago, interwebtech said:

Be able to MUTE these maybe on individual disk level.

Already possible. Just set a value of zero for warning and/or alert level.

image.png.10f15d07767bff86a740dbe3abf4b234.png

Edited by bonienl
    • Like 1
    7 hours ago, bonienl said:

Already possible. Just set a value of zero for warning and/or alert level.

image.png.10f15d07767bff86a740dbe3abf4b234.png

I updated my notification threshold setting to "0" as soon as I read your post. Just now had the second of my twice daily notification floods (setting should have stopped those, right?). The setting does not appear to have the desired effect of turning the notifications off. Diags attached.,

tower-diagnostics-20210411-2008.zip

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by interwebtech
    45 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Delete the file smart-one.cfg and re-apply the settings.

Did as you suggested. The smart-one.cfg file does not reappear once applied. Is that a concern?

53 minutes ago, interwebtech said:

Did as you suggested. The smart-one.cfg file does not reappear once applied. Is that a concern?

smart-one.cfg should be created as soon as you make a change for an individual disk.

In the new format smart-one.cfg should have the disk identifier as the section header. E.g

[KINGSTON_SA2000M81000G_50026B7683B40AB5]
    hotTemp="50"
    maxTemp="60"

This is working fine for me on 6.9.2 (only outstanding issue is when the identifier has a 'dot'  in the name)

I have set the "disk utilization threshold (%)" for disk 1 & disk 2 individually. No smart-one.cfg was created in the config folder. disk.cfg shows it is updated but no other changes.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:46 AM, interwebtech said:

So nobody else is seeing this behavior?

On update to 6.9.0 or 6.9.1 (don't know which one) I got warnings/errors for all filled disks. I did close them all.

After that I recognized the wrong temperature limits on my two M.2 disks. I created a bug report because changes on temperature limit did not apply. I was told a workaround and created smart-one.cfg with the entries for these two M.2 disks. This fixed it.

Now on update to 6.9.2 I got warnings/errors for all filled disks again.

For me it's an annoyance, but not worth a new bug report.

Don't know if this matches with your observations.

As I mentioned in my previous follow up, I changed the setting on disks 1 & 2 at the individual disk level. It did not affect the sending of notifications. However, today I noticed that the wording in the email is slightly different.

Disks using the general "all disks" setting have the subject:
    Alert [TOWER] - Disk 3 is low on space (96%)

Those 2 disks I have it set at the individual level have the subject:
    Warning [TOWER] - Disk 2 is high on usage (94%)

Note the diff between warning & alert.

Also I still don't have a "smart-one.cfg" in my /config folder. Be cool if someone could figure out what changed with 6.9.2 that brought all this back.

12 hours ago, interwebtech said:

Also I still don't have a "smart-one.cfg" in my /config folder. Be cool if someone could figure out what changed with 6.9.2 that brought all this back

It is correct that smart-one.cfg is not created when individual disk utilization levels are adjusted. Starting from 6.9 these levels are now stored in disk.cfg. Other variables, such as temperature levels, are still stored in smart-one.cfg.

I made an update to the (background) monitoring script to prevent false positives. In my testing this all looks okay.

Note that this issue persists. I get warnings for each disk (all disks) every 12 hours.

Today it has now spread to cache NVMe drives. I got a warning among the other disk warnings that Cache 3 was hot. Reportedly 46C. Odd y the threshold for warning in UR Smart settings is 50C. I tried changing the thresholds and my changes did not Save.

9 minutes ago, interwebtech said:

FYI the issue has disappeared with 6.12.0-rc2 (and rc1). 3 or 4 days with no erroneous emails.

Thx for reporting

Some updates were done in 6.12

• Like 1