• [6.9.2] rsync crashing during copying process then Server is freezing

MisterT
    • Closed

Hey Guys, first of all thanks for your great Software :)

I tried 3-4 times to transfer my data to a new installed unraid server - using rsync. Everytime with the same issue.

Also it doesnt matter with rsync options variation I am using.

During rsync transfer (external usb Device with UD plugin to my parity drive) rsync is crashing - after an hour i think (varied).

Web-Terminal freezed also...

Then after 10 minutes Unraid also freezing without coming back.

After a Hard Reset: Unraid starting a parity check and no (automatic) diagnostic file was created on the flash drive

So, I created a diagnostic file later (by myself) and post the old syslog part with the kernel Bug (with trace) before unraid was frozen.

Kernel Bug: Pastebin.com

Have a nice day !

MisterT

saschanas-diagnostics-20211025-1652.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Your setup quite simple and seems no abnormal found.

First, are you sure only rsync will got  crash, how about use command cp or mc ?

BTW, I guess problem cause by transfer to USB device and USB brisge/device have problem, also, what filesystem of the USB storage ?

FYR, I never got crash with rsync, even with USB storage.

Yes :) its a fresh install

no not sure, cp wasnt a option for me for transferring large amout of files - but I will test this later when I am home.

The usb devices is formatted in ext4 and I hope not :D (this is my only available backup at the moment)

EDIT: The first 2 rsync trys I got error code 12 from rsync and 2nd time error code 20 - but dont have any additional info about it and also no logs :(

Edited by MisterT
    added some more rsync info

before I start some tests: I got something in mind - is it possible that one BIOS setting can be an issue here ?

I enabled SATA link aggregation in EFI - is it possible if I copying data to parity and get interrupted bei this EFI option (dont know if link aggregation is overwriting Host OS settings) ?

Edited by MisterT
    typo

There are no link aggregation in SATA, I think you talking about aggresive sleep feature, btw you should set to disable and I don't think it will be the cause.

image.png.50f249b116af6bee58ec4ab8ab04add5.png

Yes I think its the same ? on my asrock H510M-ITX/ac its called "SATA Aggressive Link Power Management"

why disabling it ? didnt have any bad experience with it until now :D

It may save a bit of power, but reliable & stable more importance.

Pls do a simple test, "rsync /mnt/disk1/<share>/<folder> /mnt/disk1/test/<share>/<folder> " to check does it crash, then delete /mnt/disk1/test

test done "rsync -a /mnt/disk1/Multimedia/* /mnt/disk1/test/" >> no crash / freeze or error

transferred around 412GB of data...

Edited by MisterT
    typo

I think so too, I am trying to copy only with cp not with rsync (coz of cp working slower) maybe it helps :)

Sorry for reporting this issue - didnt know kernel bugs (with backtraces) can also be produced due to faulty hardware.

But one question about the array before topic get closed - lets say I have 4 drives (3x data drives)...

I know how the filesystem in unraid works (/mnt/disks and /mnt/user) but does it make any difference if I copy files directly to /mnt/user/share instead of /mnt/disk1/share ?

If I got it correct: when I copy files to /mnt/user/share/ -> unraid will balance files auto (due to high-water ?)

if I copy files to /mnt/disk1/share -> files wont be balanced coz copied directly to disk1 - right ?

Edited by MisterT
    1 minute ago, MisterT said:

If I got it correct: when I copy files to /mnt/user/share/ -> unraid will balance files auto (due to high-water ?)

Yes, dynamic allocate to different disk according different setting.

2 minutes ago, MisterT said:

if I copy files to /mnt/disk1/share -> files wont be balanced coz copied directly to disk1 - right ?

Yes, if a file with same name in other disks, it will writing too, as result duplicate file in different disk.

10 minutes ago, MisterT said:

I think so too, I am trying to copy only with cp not with rsync (coz of cp working slower) maybe it helps :)

No, you must fix it or try use other USB SATA bridge, otherwise USB storage file or file system will corrupt.