• [6.9.2] User0 is ignoring included disks

-Daedalus
    • Solved

Hi all,

I have a backup share, restricted to disk2 in my array (this is to prevent hourly backups of smaller things getting scattered throughout other disks, preventing spin down).

I've set the backup share to include only disk2, and all other shares to exclude this disk.

With a weekly VM backup user script, I am copying from /mnt/user/domains (cache only) to /mnt/user0/backup/vm

When this script runs, data is copied to /mnt/disk1/backup/vm

This behaviour is also present outside of this script; it seems like anything copied from a disk or user share, to a user0 share with specifics disks, will ignore the disk specified.

Diags attached, let me know if anything else would be of use.

server-diagnostics-20211212-1341.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Is the backup share a "new" share (ie: did you make it very recently?)  Try stopping and starting the array to see if that makes a difference...

Are you sure that share didn't already have files on disk1? When replacing files, they go to the disk already containing the file to be replaced.

Yup. I double-checked this. At first I thought that was what's causing the issue, because originally disks 1 and 2 were designated for backup, but I recently upgraded some disks, so I only need disk2 now. I removed the backup folder on 1, and the next time my VM backup script ran it just created a dir on disk1.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with pools as well, because something similar - but not the same - happened when I was moving some other files around.

I have an 'nvme' pool, and an 'ssd' pool.

I was moving files on an nvme-only share to the backup share.

The backup share uses the 'ssd' pool as its cache.

When moving from /mnt/nvme to /mnt/user/backup, a 'backup' directory was created on 'nvme', rather than being moved to the existing 'backup' directory on 'ssd'

I'm guessing this has something to do with pool/cache logic. If I remember right, it's setup in such a way that a given share can only have one cache associated with it, and there isn't really any logic for moving stuff between cache pools.

It is something like, if the share is cache enabled, and the files are on *any* cache drive, then that must be the cache assigned to that pool, so I'd better create the dir if it doesn't exist.

I'm not sure if these two things are connected in any way, but I figured I'd mention it.

5 minutes ago, -Daedalus said:

I'm guessing this has something to do with pool/cache logic. If I remember right, it's setup in such a way that a given share can only have one cache associated with it, and there isn't really any logic for moving stuff between cache pools.

This is really only about how mover works.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

Is the backup share a "new" share (ie: did you make it very recently?)  Try stopping and starting the array to see if that makes a difference...

It was one of the first I created years ago, but the disk changes are recent. I'm pretty sure the array has been restarted since doing that, but I'll give it a go once there's not much happening.