• [6.9.2] VM Disk Capacity Stuck at 2T

tomahawk1277
    • Minor

I had a Win10 VM working with a disk capacity set to 80G. I tried increasing it to 180G through the webGUI (by clicking the VM name and modifying the Capacity value) but accidentally typed 1800G (an extra 0) and hit enter. It refreshed the page and showed 2T and I cannot change it anymore. No matter what I type there, whenever I press enter it changes back to 2T. Tried rebooting but no dice. My VM will run, and Windows simply sees the extra 1.7T unallocated space in Disk Manager, but I still need a way to change the capacity from 2T to a real number so I can expand my VM disk space. Thanks.

diagnostics-20211015-1434.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thanks @SimonF, that gave me a workaround but does not solve the original "stuck at 2T" bug within Unraid. From that video, I used the following command within my Win10 vdisk folder to shrink my VM back down from 2TB to 180GB: 

qemu-img resize --shrink vdisk1.img 180G

After that, the webGUI correctly showed a disk size of 180GB. I don't know why the webGUI was not able to make this change.

Another important thing I forgot to mention: I only have a 512GB SSD for my cache drive, where the vdisk is stored, so I suspect choosing a vdisk size greater than the cache size is what triggers this bug, but that's just a guess.

I'm seeing this as well. Using a 2T nmve I entered 1500G which became 1T. I entered 1.2T which became 12T I was unable to change it until i entered 1.5T which became 15T. I entered:

qemu-img resize --shrink vdisk1.img 1500G

which becomes 1T. I entered 2T and will just not allocate a portion.

Necropost, but this just happened to me on 6.10.3. I had to also specify the image file format type (raw...I think) in order for it to not yell at me and restrict write access, but I was able to do the resize and it presents correctly inside Windows 11, but the WebGUI still shows an erroneous 1T vice 1.2T.

Edited by Krash