• Anonymize diagnostics is not anonym

FlamongOle
    • Minor

I decided to just look through the entire diagnostics file to check if it really is anonymous. 

It is not: if the "mover" logging is enabled, it will write the entire move with path and filename into the syslog and the diagnostic does NOT anonymize this data. 

Quoted from the diagnostic page:

No personal information such as user names, passwords, or any other file contents not specified above is included by Unraid OS; however, your server name, IP address, and user share names will be included.

Yes, it says it will backup the syslog - but I expected it to run through an anonymize filter first.

This is a serious security flaw for the users, not good!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There's a reason why I choose to use logging, I want to make sure the Mover worked as intended. And so far we have the option of creating anonymous diagnostic file, then this should be excluded/scrambled as well.

Turning it off does not remove the Mover log entries until you reboot when the syslog is written from scratch again. Not solving the problem unless it was off the entire time (which is default). It still should be fixed.

diagnostics does have logic to anonymize mover logging, wondering what is different in your case.

Do you have same examples of log parts which are not anonymized? (if too sensitive please consider a PM to me).

In syslog you would find this:

Jan  2 21:05:30 Odin emhttpd: req (28): cmdStartMover=Move now&csrf_token=****************
    Jan  2 21:05:30 Odin emhttpd: shcmd (2519): /usr/local/sbin/mover |& logger &
    Jan  2 21:05:30 Odin root: mover: started
    Jan  2 21:05:30 Odin move: move: file /mnt/cache/storage_ole/testfile
    Jan  2 21:05:31 Odin root: mover: finished

File and folder names might reveal things you don't want to be released. And should probably be scrambled regardless of settings (at least after the main share name).

The syslog file is just included in the diagnostic without anonymize this data when the anonymize button is checked.