• BTFRS bug turns the array disk into a mirror of the cache drive

dopeytree
    • Urgent

Had disk1 (12TB) as btfrs.

cache (256GB) as btfrs.

powered down.

removed cache (256GB) drive.

replace cache (256GB) drive with upgraded cache2 (2TB) drive.

powered up.

says disc1 is unreadable.

choose cache2 (2tb) as cache drive.

it then says disc1 (12tb) is online.

disc1 (12tb) being reported as 256GB in size.

appears unraid has been using disk1 (12TB) as a mirror for cache (256GB).

Is this is not a major bug?

Or is it my fault for selecting btfrs for disk1?

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 18.13.53.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Please always include diagnostics.

It is impossible to know what you did and what Unraid version you are using.

I would advise to use the support topic first before filing a bug report.

I made a quick test on version 6.11.0-rc4 (which is on my test system) and changing an array disk to btrfs results in the correct size display.

Version: 6.10.3

This is a diagnostic not sure if it was from this issue or the network nic's mac address issue.

75% user error but Unraid is full of bugs - it's like a game of wack a mole. 

For example there's an AMD driver bug for card rx6400 in 6.11.r3 that must crash the driver causing the card to get stuck on 100% usage with the fans spinning on full. Roll back to 6.10.3 and it doesn't exist.

moulin-rouge-diagnostics-20220825-1922.zip

Edited by dopeytree

I already replied in your general support thread, this is a new one, looks like for some reason it's mounting device sda as disk1, you should wipe/disconnect that device, but first post the output of:

btrfs fi show

• Like 1
    1 hour ago, dopeytree said:

Unraid is full of bugs

To be fair, most of the issues we see here on the forums isn't technically limetech's software. In your AMD example, the best limetech can do is pick the least buggy version of the drivers provided. When they update to the latest driver from third parties, who knows how it will play out. If you document the issue and it's solvable by rolling back the AMD code, that's what will happen. Hopefully all these sorts of issues get caught early in the rc cycle and get ironed out of the full release.

• Like 1
    2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

To be fair, most of the issues we see here on the forums isn't technically limetech's software. In your AMD example, the best limetech can do is pick the least buggy version of the drivers provided. When they update to the latest driver from third parties, who knows how it will play out. If you document the issue and it's solvable by rolling back the AMD code, that's what will happen. Hopefully all these sorts of issues get caught early in the rc cycle and get ironed out of the full release.

Amen it's all about team work. Hopefully someone does the same for AMD as what they've done for NVIDIA via plugins so one can choose the driver version.

Edited by dopeytree

Taking another look at this with more time, I see this on boot:

Aug 25 18:48:25 Moulin-Rouge kernel: BTRFS: device fsid 46c809d9-2d8f-48ad-be38-dff41668218c devid 1 transid 2879 /dev/sda1 scanned by udevd (752)
    Aug 25 18:48:25 Moulin-Rouge kernel: BTRFS: device fsid 46c809d9-2d8f-48ad-be38-dff41668218c devid 2 transid 814 /dev/sdc1 scanned by udevd (765)

sda was the old cache device, sdc is current parity, note that sdc is device 2 from a pool with sda, trans id differ so it means they were in a pool some time ago, not just before this boot, while it's still a bug looks like the issue happened after a very unusual sequence of events, i.e., parity being in a pool with a former pool device.

Thanks for looking deeper into it.

Sorry I can't give more details. I will always take a diagnostic file now at the exact time of any issue. the one above could be from a previous setup/settings.

The whole thing was a new build setup as I had been playing with the preview release getting my head around how the system works.

I had played with having a normal drive be a raid mirror of the 256gb ssd but this was on a 3tb seagate drive. think this was removed from the settings & system so shouldn't have caused the issue.

Thinking back perhaps I hadn't removed the 3tb cache mirror drive or something??

I know I did try to use krusader to backup the 256gb cache drive to the array but don't think it was doing it as was way too fast 980MB/s. I am now using the file manager plugin in unraid.

Setup was:

- parity - 12tb

- disk1 - 12tb

- cache - 256gb ssd

- cache mirror - 3tb seagate spinning drive

- removed 3tb cache mirror from settings or thought I did.

- removed physical 3tb cache mirror drive

- removed cache 256gb

- installed new cache upgrade (replaceing 256gb) with 2tb ssd

- told unraid the cache was now the 2tb drive

- disk1 in the array then changed to be 256gb in size

Perhaps I started the array with the cache removed which caused the setup issue?

Though thought the cache is outside of the array.

My system now is fine. Lessen is leave default settings alone (drive formats).

I ended up re-format-ing the array drive into XFS (from BTRFS) & re-format-ing the cache again into BTRFS as-well to make sure both clean & trouble free. 

Didn't want to do a completely new key wipe install as think I would have lost the parity which as we know takes a day or 2.

I have a 11th gen processor arriving soon i9-11900T (8core 16threads only 35watts!) which will unlock the 2nd m.2 slot on my motherboard so at that point I will pop in my other 2tb ssd so then I can choose to mirror my cache for real or perhaps run another separate cache pool and just set a plugin to backup both cache pools to the array overnight & or on-demand.

I would prefer a live backup of the cache incase something happens.. I'll see what other people are doing on here.

Anyway I have just played my first game via steam-headless docker and wow guys what a cool thing unraid is! No gpu passthough needed 😄

Edited by dopeytree