• Cache Issues - No BTRFS Devices

waldoinc
    • Retest Minor

The occured this morning, booted up the server to get my plex docker cleaned up ( metadata ) , and the Cache showed No File System (no btrfs devices). So started troubleshooting, but could never get it to function. I tried different SSDs, cables, resetting the config ( possible corruption), but nothing has worked.  Any assistance \ ideas to test next?

tower-diagnostics-20180420-1530.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

According to your diagnostics you have a single cache disk, but an SSD assigned as disk22 even though you only have 2 other data disks. I assume you mean to have 2 cache disks. How did you get to this point? What exactly do you mean when you said 

resetting the config

Sorry I wrote that rather quick.

1) I orginally had 2 cache disks setup this morning when the issue occured. It had been working for the past 3 months, at least.

2) The disk22 SSD is for my VMs, as i did not want them to reside on the cache volume.

3) I had replaced the 2 cache disks, thinking that they may have been the problem, with the lone cache disk.

4) I was referring to the new config option, meaning have to setup the server again.

I have verified that the all 3 disks that I have attempted to get the cache setup on are good. Connected to my main desktop, cleaned, and wrote a sizable amount of data to them.

Edited by waldoinc

Putting an SSD in the array with an HDD parity disk is going to give HDD performance when writing the SSD due to parity updates. Most people will use an Unassigned Device outside the array for this if they aren't going to do it in the cache pool.

Try changing cache slots to just 1, if it still doesn't mount best best is to completely wipe the SSDs previously used as cache with blkdiscard and redo the pool, if you need to save data you can use this FAQ entry.

OK, attempting to run the BLKDiscard on the SSDs resulted in BLKDiscard  ioctl failed : Remote I/O error.

Just to make sure, I loaded the drives into my Main desktop and secure erased the drives to make sure that no data existed, and then pre-cleaned with in UNRAID. Still the same problem, the drive keeps coming up as unmountable.

Selecting the one cache drive is set, it allowed me to use the one Spare SSD for cache. The 2 1TB  drives that i was using are not function for the cache volume.

Edited by waldoinc
    17 hours ago, waldoinc said:

OK, attempting to run the BLKDiscard on the SSDs resulted in BLKDiscard  ioctl failed : Remote I/O error.

That means it's on a controller that doesn't support trim.

17 hours ago, waldoinc said:

Just to make sure, I loaded the drives into my Main desktop and secure erased the drives to make sure that no data existed, and then pre-cleaned with in UNRAID. Still the same problem, the drive keeps coming up as unmountable.

Please post current diagnostics.

Your diagnostics still shows the SSD as disk22 in the array. As I already mentioned, it doesn't make any sense to have an SSD in the parity array with an HDD parity disk.

OK I get it. You are probably going to get rid of disk22 after you get your cache pool going. Have you tried using just one of those as a cache disk? Then if you get that working you could add the other to the pool.

I don't see any attempt to format the cache pool, can you do that and post new diags if format fails.