• Cannot disable VM

Tom3
    • Minor

Upon upgrade from 6.7.2 to 6.8, the Settings-->VM Manager-->DIsable VM function does not work.

The button highlights, but clickign APPLY does not do anything and VMs

remain enabled.

All VMs were removed from 6.7.2 prior to upgrading.

Attached diagnostics.

tower-diagnostics-20191216-1209.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Further to the repost.  I downgraded to 6.7.2, stopped the VM Manager, used the

delete Libvirt checkbox to delete libvirt.img

Then re-updated to 6.8, now VM Manager reports that the VM is stopped, but

am now unable to Enable VM via VM manager.

-- Tom

One more piece to the puzzle.    If I manually edit  domain.cfg on the

flash to enable VMs, then reboot,  the VM's will come up showing

enabled.  However the GUI still will not change the VM enable state using

the VM manager.

-- Tom

Edited by Tom3
    fix typo

I was only able to partially recreate your issue.  While I could stop libvirt (VM Manager) just fine, I can't seem to restart it due to an issue mounting the libvirt image file (because it is "in-use").  Will investigate.  For notes on this issue, this is in the log after attempting to restart the service:

Dec 17 13:07:16 unCOOL root: /mnt/user/system/libvirt/libvirt3.img is in-use, cannot mount
    Dec 17 13:07:16 unCOOL emhttpd: shcmd (222): exit status: 1

In addition, I notice that when reviewing the mount points, libvirt3.img for me is not mounted, so something else is keeping the file in use for some reason.

I am having the same issue.  I am unable to stop the VM manager or make any changes to the VM Manager settings because clicking the Apply button does nothing.  

I also had the issue that trying to change the VM settings of an established (stopped) VM would also cause the GUI to spin forever.  About a day later noVNC would throw an exception each time trying to start any VM (reported separately).  I had NO red elements on the VM Manager GUI.  Deleting and recreating Libvirt manually did not solve the noVNC exception issue.  Can't give a 6.8 screenshot because have since reverted to 6.7.2.

Reverted to 6.7.2, deleted all VMs and files, deleted Libvirt, re-enabled VMs (thus creating new Libvirt), re-created VMs in 6.7.2 and everything VM wise is working fine in 6.7.2 (as it did previously).   My impression is that Libvirt created in 6.8 made 6.7.2 unhappy (after reverting).  Perhaps there is some kind of file difference between Libvirt in 6.7.2 and 6.8 ?

-- Tom

I'm seeing this on a new Unraid install I'm doing for a customer, nothing happens when clicking on apply, nothing on the syslog, nothing in red, all default:

imagem.thumb.png.d10e805567c9174de0524f524337a3d7.png

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

nothing happens when clicking on apply

Do you have diagnostics?

I see what the error (bug) is. Will make a correction.

Thanks.

Edited by bonienl
    • Like 2
    On 12/17/2019 at 8:12 PM, jonp said:

I was only able to partially recreate your issue.  While I could stop libvirt (VM Manager) just fine, I can't seem to restart it due to an issue mounting the libvirt image file (because it is "in-use").  Will investigate.  For notes on this issue, this is in the log after attempting to restart the service:

Dec 17 13:07:16 unCOOL root: /mnt/user/system/libvirt/libvirt3.img is in-use, cannot mount
    Dec 17 13:07:16 unCOOL emhttpd: shcmd (222): exit status: 1

In addition, I notice that when reviewing the mount points, libvirt3.img for me is not mounted, so something else is keeping the file in use for some reason.

I fixed the "Apply" button sometimes not working, but I am seeing this too.

Needs further investigation.

• Like 1

Just throwing my hat in as well that when I Enable/Disable the VM manager itself, the system seems to hang up and I get unmount errors in the system log. Also tried to same delete virtio and libvirt image, and a reboot. Noticed the same behavior when downgrading to rc9. (Wasn't QEMU and Libvirt at different levels due to the "all VM's" bug disappearing?)

EDIT: No diags at the moment as I am in the middle of a few jobs and don't want to interrupt SMB or anything at the moment to reproduce.

Edited by cybrnook
    5 hours ago, adam19325 said:

I encountered this bug too. I found that the apply button isn't triggering the function to post.

The Apply button isn't triggered because a verification test failed erroneously. This is fixed in the next release.

Thanks

• Like 1
    11 hours ago, bonienl said:

but I am seeing this too.

Needs further investigation.

The "libvirt.img is in-use, cannot mount" isn't new, I remember seeing it in the forum from time to time since at least v6.6, e.g.:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/75351-vms-vanished-after-unclean-shutdown-libvirt-service-failed-to-start/

Another one reporting stoping all dockers allowed VM manager to re-start:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/70745-libvirtimg-is-in-use-cannot-mount/

16 hours ago, cybrnook said:

Just throwing my hat in as well that when I Enable/Disable the VM manager itself, the system seems to hang up and I get unmount errors in the system log. Also tried to same delete virtio and libvirt image, and a reboot. Noticed the same behavior when downgrading to rc9. (Wasn't QEMU and Libvirt at different levels due to the "all VM's" bug disappearing?)

EDIT: No diags at the moment as I am in the middle of a few jobs and don't want to interrupt SMB or anything at the moment to reproduce.

And, diagsnoah-diagnostics-20191220-1910.zip

Dec 20 14:09:51 noah root: Stopping libvirtd...
    Dec 20 14:09:51 noah dnsmasq[8730]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
    Dec 20 14:09:51 noah kernel: device virbr0-nic left promiscuous mode
    Dec 20 14:09:51 noah kernel: virbr0: port 1(virbr0-nic) entered disabled state
    Dec 20 14:09:51 noah avahi-daemon[6925]: Interface virbr0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.
    Dec 20 14:09:51 noah avahi-daemon[6925]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
    Dec 20 14:09:51 noah avahi-daemon[6925]: Withdrawing address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.
    Dec 20 14:09:51 noah root: Network 03992cfe-2f56-45e7-a079-c12c04bf2bfe destroyed
    Dec 20 14:09:51 noah root:
    Dec 20 14:09:55 noah root: Stopping virtlogd...
    Dec 20 14:09:56 noah root: Stopping virtlockd...
    Dec 20 14:09:57 noah emhttpd: shcmd (106): umount /etc/libvirt
    Dec 20 14:09:57 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: ccp enabled
    Dec 20 14:09:57 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: psp enabled
    Dec 20 14:10:02 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: sev command 0x4 timed out, disabling PSP
    Dec 20 14:10:02 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: SEV: failed to get status. Error: 0x0
    Dec 20 14:10:02 noah kernel: kvm: Nested Virtualization enabled
    Dec 20 14:10:02 noah kernel: kvm: Nested Paging enabled
    Dec 20 14:10:02 noah kernel: SVM: Virtual VMLOAD VMSAVE supported
    Dec 20 14:10:02 noah kernel: SVM: Virtual GIF supported
    Dec 20 14:10:09 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: ccp enabled
    Dec 20 14:10:09 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: psp enabled
    Dec 20 14:10:14 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: sev command 0x4 timed out, disabling PSP
    Dec 20 14:10:14 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: SEV: failed to get status. Error: 0x0
    Dec 20 14:10:14 noah kernel: kvm: Nested Virtualization enabled
    Dec 20 14:10:14 noah kernel: kvm: Nested Paging enabled
    Dec 20 14:10:14 noah kernel: SVM: Virtual VMLOAD VMSAVE supported
    Dec 20 14:10:14 noah kernel: SVM: Virtual GIF supported
    Dec 20 14:15:20 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: ccp enabled
    Dec 20 14:15:20 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: psp enabled
    Dec 20 14:15:25 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: sev command 0x4 timed out, disabling PSP
    Dec 20 14:15:25 noah kernel: ccp 0000:2d:00.1: SEV: failed to get status. Error: 0x0
    Dec 20 14:15:25 noah kernel: kvm: Nested Virtualization enabled
    Dec 20 14:15:25 noah kernel: kvm: Nested Paging enabled
    Dec 20 14:15:25 noah kernel: SVM: Virtual VMLOAD VMSAVE supported
    Dec 20 14:15:25 noah kernel: SVM: Virtual GIF supported

Edited by cybrnook
    On 12/19/2019 at 11:43 PM, johnnie.black said:

The "libvirt.img is in-use, cannot mount" isn't new, I remember seeing it in the forum from time to time since at least v6.6, e.g.:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/75351-vms-vanished-after-unclean-shutdown-libvirt-service-failed-to-start/

Another one reporting stoping all dockers allowed VM manager to re-start:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/70745-libvirtimg-is-in-use-cannot-mount/

We got to the bottom of this, though not sure why it's happening ...

When vm-manager (libvirt) is started we first mount a loopback image at /etc/libvirt.  This stores the vm config data such as the xml files.

If a docker container is started after that loopback is mounted, then for some reason, unmounting the loopback (which happens when you disable libvirt) does not release the device attachment of /dev/loopX to the loopback file.  If you stop the container, then the loopback device is released.  It's as if the container does a 'cd /etc/libvirt'.

But really this has nothing to do with libvirt.  Any loopback mounted file anywhere in the root directory tree, except within /mnt (which is bind-mounted to itself at startup) will exhibit this behavior.

Not sure why this is happening - some kind of crazy interaction between container isolation and device mounts in the kernel I think.

The obvious workaround for Unraid is to not permit changing libvirt enable/disable unless array is Stopped.

• Like 3