• Can't create boot USB using macOS Mojave

BrianIsSecond
    • Retest Minor

I used the same "SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB 2.0" to create a bootable UNRAID USB using a computer running macOS Mojave and a different computer running High Sierra. High Sierra worked flawlessly. Mojave took forever, said it succeeded after a long period of time, but would never boot. I tried to create the boot USB on Mojave with the "USB Creator" and manually. Neither worked. Again, High Sierra works great. I believe Mojave is the issue. When trying to create the boot USB manually through Mojave, one can actually see where it hangs up via the terminal. 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I just posted version 1.5 of the USB Flash Creator which is based off a slightly newer version of Qt.  I'm using macOS Mojave and was able to successfully create a working and bootable SanDisk CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 from it.  Please give the new version a shot to see if it works.

• I tried for the life of me on four USB sticks. The Lime Tech USB Creator v 1.5 wouldn't pick up the USB drive in step two. I tried attaching the sticks directly to the MacBook Air (2014 w/ High Sierra 10.13.6). Nothing.
    • Even tried Etcher since it works with zip files, but Etcher wouldn't work with the zip image file from LT.
      • Would it free up resources from LimeTech to just have an ISO that can be flashed with Etcher instead of custom writing a USB creator software in house?
    • Sticks were formatted to FAT32 labeled UNRAID.
    • Even the manual creation using the script in terminal would recognize the drive but throw up some sort of error about the partition.

What worked:

• Using Disk Utility in Mac OS >> View >> Show All Devices >> Select the USB device >> Partition >> FAT32 >> Label it as UNRAID >> Ensure that Partition Map is set to Bootable
    • Once the disk drive is formatted, then the script for the Manual Method worked as intended.

I would like to update the Wiki to reflect this; I would be happy to update the wiki with this little tidbit.

• Also, can we get the Wiki updated in an official capacity? I'm finding it hard to navigate the manual/wiki in finding information that I need i.e., there is a lot of outdated information.
    • Additionally, the backend for the unRAID forum isn't the greatest as the search isn't the best.
      • I'm finding that appending the search operator: site:forums.unraid.net in DuckDuckGo/Startpage/Google to your search works better at finding what you are looking for than using the forum's search.)

P.S. - After all that's been said and done, I was able to get unRAID going on a low profile SanDisk USB stick. Super cheap I might add.

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 21.49.33.png

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
    Added a tip on how to better search the forums.