• Changing Port Numbers

SLNetworks
    • Closed Minor

I'm not sure if it's just my install or not, but I'm experiencing issues with needing to change port numbers and Unraid seemingly not willing to mark the change in the system. There has been one occasion also where I was able to successfully change one port, but it never updated the "link" for opening the Web UI. I finally got a 4 port card to wire up the container separately. I had to reinstall two dockers after manually specifying my host IP address and port today. Tried freshly installing them, to no avail.

Unraid v6.8.3 Pro

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Your going to have to provide examples/screenshots and probably logs regarding this bug report as anybody trying to replicate this would just ignore it as there's nothing in here to follow

And specifically also include the applicable xml file from within /config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user on the flash drive along with what you did.

Today I installed VS Code server. Its default port is 8443, I told Unraid to use port 1111. 8443 conflicts with Unifi management, so I stopped Unifi to launch see if there was an internal setting within VS Code server - there isn't.

When "changing" ports, it goes through the "reinstall" process, shows the port change, but doesn't actually change the port. I'll see if I can find said file you speak of, Squid.

I'm currently running Unraid v6.9-rc2

On 12/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, Squid said:

And specifically also include the applicable xml file from within /config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user on the flash drive along with what you did.

What are you using as a root starting point? Can I find this with BinHex, or is it on my thumb drive?

Based upon your response, (and especially once you started talking about changing a port within code server, you're attempting to do it wrong.

With port mapping (bridge networking mode), it's completely irrelevant if multiple containers all use the same internal ports (in your case 8443) or not.  All you have to do is change the host port referenced in the template.  Everything else webUI etc will follow the applicable changes...  

You pretty much never need to change the internal container port.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Based upon your response, (and especially once you started talking about changing a port within code server, you're attempting to do it wrong.

With port mapping (bridge networking mode), it's completely irrelevant if multiple containers all use the same internal ports (in your case 8443) or not.  All you have to do is change the host port referenced in the template.  Everything else webUI etc will follow the applicable changes...  

You pretty much never need to change the internal container port.

Are you saying that setting up the containers as "hosts" is the wrong way to do things? If I use "bridge" mode, my ISP's gateway IP address shows up as the pass-through IP.

I've never yet seen a video about the differences, so my natural instinct is to set an app serve data as a host.

56 minutes ago, SLNetworks said:

Shitcicles. Guess now I need to figure out how to access it.

From the Unraid terminal it's at /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user

2 hours ago, SLNetworks said:

Are you saying that setting up the containers as "hosts" is the wrong way to do things? If I use "bridge" mode, my ISP's gateway IP address shows up as the pass-through IP.

I've never yet seen a video about the differences, so my natural instinct is to set an app serve data as a host.

Generally, yes. 

Bridge is a ton easier to handle for this very reason.  Only certain specific apps tend to run as host.

6 hours ago, John_M said:

How can I copy that folder to a user accessible folder?

6 hours ago, John_M said:

sudo nano works too. lol .. Here's an example. The change is acknowledged in the .xml, but not in the interface of Unraid v6.9-rc2

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 12.12.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 12.12.31 AM.png

The webUI link is always going to use port 8443 because you're running it as host, that's what's defined in the template entry, and any and all port mappings are by definition ignored in host mode

The template is designed for bridge mode.   If you've adjusted the port within the app, then you need to adjust the WEBUI link within unraid by editing the app in advanced vjew

On 2/3/2021 at 8:59 PM, Squid said:

The webUI link is always going to use port 8443 because you're running it as host, that's what's defined in the template entry, and any and all port mappings are by definition ignored in host mode

The template is designed for bridge mode.   If you've adjusted the port within the app, then you need to adjust the WEBUI link within unraid by editing the app in advanced view

Ok, that honestly sounds like a flaw in the general assembly of a docker app. What's the point in allowing users to specify ports in host mode if the joke is on the user?

Bridging I don't think is ideal as it seems to route straight to my gateway (wISP IP), as opposed to dead ending at my firewall. Why? Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

That said, I changed it to bridge mode, set the port in the both the basic and advanced template locations, and now I'm greeted with a simple 404. There is no place to change it in the app, Code Server,  from what I can tell so far.

EDIT: Uninstalled, reinstalled fresh. Set to bridge mode, specified port. It stuck. *facepalm* I still think we should be able to change the default port in host mode though. *shrugs*

Case closed?

Edited by SLNetworks
    14 hours ago, SLNetworks said:

Ok, that honestly sounds like a flaw in the general assembly of a docker app. What's the point in allowing users to specify ports in host mode if the joke is on the user?

Blame docker itself.  They're the ones who allow it and have the system ignore it.

14 hours ago, SLNetworks said:

There is no place to change it in the app, Code Server,

That's what you're missing.  There is never any reason to change the listening port in bridge mode within the app.  You only ever change the host port.

Post your docker run command.  https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-docker-faq/?tab=comments#comment-564345

Damn Docker developers. LoL

I would've expected to only change the host port, but I don't like when my apps conflict with each other when it comes to port usage - Code Server and Unifi Controller.