• dockers / stopping array

repomanz
    • Minor

Running 6.6.6 and have multiple dockers.  Steps to reproduce.

1) shutdown dockers

2) stop array

3) start array

4) attempt to start dockers

Unraid will show all my existing dockers.  However when I attempt to start them unraid will complain no such image is available.  To work around this, I go to settings > docker. Disable dockers, apply, then enable dockers.  Once completed docker images will start up properly.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Just to avoid confusion. The service is called docker and the applications you run within are called containers.

I presume you stop all containers then stop and restart the array, and finally start all containers.

Do you have any containers with autostart?

Edited by bonienl

Glad you piped in @bonienl was going to point this out to you.  Here's what I don't understand

Dec 25 12:50:53 cybertron rc.docker: binhex-nzbget: Error response from daemon: network 9c8235031ace18c2d23dc317789045320206825ca68acff9ffbeeff58ed7ae3b not found

Then a bunch more errors

Then 

Dec 25 12:50:58 cybertron dhcpcd[1811]: br0: adding route to 10.180.24.0/24
    Dec 25 12:50:58 cybertron avahi-daemon[8694]: New relevant interface br0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Dec 25 12:50:58 cybertron dhcpcd[1811]: br0: adding default route via 10.180.24.1
    Dec 25 12:50:58 cybertron avahi-daemon[8694]: Registering new address record for 10.180.24.5 on br0.IPv4.
    Dec 25 12:50:58 cybertron dnsmasq[10314]: reading /etc/resolv.conf
    Dec 25 12:50:58 cybertron dnsmasq[10314]: using nameserver 10.180.24.1#53
    Dec 25 12:51:00 cybertron ntpd[1867]: Listen normally on 5 br0 10.180.24.5:123

Then a stop start of the docker service, at which point the containers will start up correctly.

At some version (can't remember the exact version) Docker introduced network ID registration within the container itself. For this reason when Docker starts (after starting the array),  the rc.docker script reconnects the networks using their previously registered IDs and allow containers to re-use them.

The "network not found" error implies the container is started before the network is ready/created.

It could be there is a difference between autostart of containers or manual start, hence my earlier question.

Ps. I also like to get a clarification on the statement "shutdown dockers". Is this stopping the docker service or stopping the containers from running?

Edited by bonienl
    • Upvote 1

Hi folks.  Thanks for clearing up my clumsy wording. :)

Running 6.6.6 and using docker with multiple containers.  Steps to reproduce.

1) shutdown containers

2) stop array

3) start array

4) attempt to start containers

Most of my containers are set to auto start. 

Unraid will show all my existing containers.  However when I attempt to start them unraid will complain no such image is available.  To work around this, I go to settings > docker. Disable the docker feature, apply, then re-enable the docker feature.   Once I perform this action I am able to successfully launch the containers. 

Containers with autostart will start automatically once the array is started. And the docker service is enabled.

In other words when you perform step 3 and switch to the docker page, you will see a message telling the containers are being automatically started (in the top of the screen) and once a container is started it changes its symbol from stopped (square) to running (triangle). The message disappears once all autostart containers are started. There is no need to do step 4.

Let me know if the autostart method as described above works for you, because in my testing (following your steps) all containers start as expected.

Edited by bonienl

Hi - most of my containers are set to auto start but they will fail until I disable the docker service (settings > dockers > enable dockers)  and then re-enable it.   Is there some debugging you'd like me to enable?

I think the point they are trying to make is that if your dockers are set to autostart then when you do step 3 above (start array) then the dockers autostart at that time. Are you saying you're attempting to manually start them in step 4 instead of letting them autostart like normal?

another test.  I needed to reboot the entire server.  8 of 10 docker containers are set to auto-start.   Upon reboot, all my containers were down.  None would start until i disabled the docker service and then re-enabled it.  As soon as I do this, the containers that were set to auto start started right up automatically.   This is the same issue as the above, just throwing the reboot into the mix.

Please help me trouble shoot this; some services are important (like the pihole container)