• Dockers wanting to update, but don't in the end?

urbanracer34
    • Closed Minor

So I appear to be having a problem with dockers, Specifically Linuxserver ones, but they said to me it is an unRAID issue and it is "not just us." I chatted with someone from Linuxserver in private and they said it is an issue with "Update all containers."

The dockers will say there is an update ready, but when updated, it does not do anything.

Tried manually updating a docker, same result. 

gibson-diagnostics-20190829-1841.zip

• Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

33 minutes ago, Bumblebus said:

Seems like some containers require the 'list' keyword to get the right info and other containers don't.

I believe I only have LSIO images so never noticed this. Ugh.. this could make the fix messy.

1 hour ago, Bumblebus said:

The fix suggested by bluemonster appears to invert the selection of which dockers always show update ready. For instance, prior to the edit, on my system duckdns (LSIO) and pihole always showed update ready whereas binhex-delugevpn and PlexMediaServer (plexinc) showed up-to-date. After I made the edit, binhex-delugevpn and PlexMediaServer show update ready while the other two are up-to-date.

Seems like some containers require the 'list' keyword to get the right info and other containers don't.

What happens if you update those dockers? Does it do a 0kb update or is there actually an update to apply?

1 hour ago, Bumblebus said:

The fix suggested by bluemonster appears to invert the selection of which dockers always show update ready. For instance, prior to the edit, on my system duckdns (LSIO) and pihole always showed update ready whereas binhex-delugevpn and PlexMediaServer (plexinc) showed up-to-date. After I made the edit, binhex-delugevpn and PlexMediaServer show update ready while the other two are up-to-date.

I did run into this situation at first, but thought I had it worked out in the posted fix(the trick was supplying both mime-types in preference order). I use one of the containers you mentioned as having the issue post-patch, but don't see the behavior here.

Did you edit the file manually, or did you use the script @ljm42 posted? If you edited it manually, would you mind pasting the exact line after the edit? It's very possible a typo in the right spot could cause this.

• Like 1
    2 hours ago, bluemonster said:

I did run into this situation at first, but thought I had it worked out in the posted fix(the trick was supplying both mime-types in preference order). I use one of the containers you mentioned as having the issue post-patch, but don't see the behavior here.

Did you edit the file manually, or did you use the script @ljm42 posted? If you edited it manually, would you mind pasting the exact line after the edit? It's very possible a typo in the right spot could cause this.

You are right! It was a manual edit and I did not put both options into the header, I only appended the text keyword into the existing header. My bad - my apologies if I threw anyone off!

I updated the header with both options and it works great! Thanks bluemonster for researching and finding the fix.

Today's update to CA Auto Update will automatically apply the fix for this issue on affected systems (Whether or not the plugin is even enabled).  You will though have to check for updates manually once to clear out the old update available status.

If you are running @ljm42's patch script, you can safely remove it, as the Auto Update will not install the patch once 6.8+ is released.

Edited by Squid
    • Like 3
    • Thanks 3

I seem to unfortunately have hit a snag. With trying to diagnose why my Docker wasn't updating, I've disabled and re-enabled Docker a few times and now I'm stuck whereby Docker won't install any new containers/won't addcontainer at all through CA either.

When trying to pull a new container it simply hangs with:

Pulling image: binhex/arch-plexpass:latest

Please wait ....

Any advice?

4 hours ago, hk21x said:

I seem to unfortunately have hit a snag. With trying to diagnose why my Docker wasn't updating, I've disabled and re-enabled Docker a few times and now I'm stuck whereby Docker won't install any new containers/won't addcontainer at all through CA either.

When trying to pull a new container it simply hangs with:

Pulling image: binhex/arch-plexpass:latest

Please wait ....

Any advice?

You should create a new thread and post your diagnostics

So hi there.

I had a lot of Docker Updates the couple of days with 0B at the end.

Mostly the same Dockers daily.

Am im right that this will be fixed with the latest "Fix Common Problems" Plugin?

0b.PNG

Edited by Toobie
    6 minutes ago, Toobie said:

Am im right that this will be fixed with the latest "Fix Common Problems" Plugin?

CA Auto Update plugin, couple of posts up from yours

28 minutes ago, dgs2001 said:

Confirmed this bug is still present despite latest updates to CA plugin.

The fix is to install the CA Auto Update plugin, and this works fine (or, hasn't had any problems I've read about in this thread), and then rescan for docker updates to flush things through.  Note, this isn't the Community Applications plugin, but the CA Auto Update plugin.

6.8 is not available yet (unless you know something I don't).

• Like 1

I am a noob so don't understand where I need to enter this fix for this bug, do we know when 6.8 is going to be released or does anyone know a step by step guide what I need to do to get my linux containers to update? sorry but not sure what to do. 

1 minute ago, markinsutton said:

I am a noob so don't understand where I need to enter this fix for this bug, do we know when 6.8 is going to be released or does anyone know a step by step guide what I need to do to get my linux containers to update? sorry but not sure what to do. 

On 9/24/2019 at 3:29 PM, Cessquill said:

The fix is to install the CA Auto Update plugin

If you don't have it installed, install the above plugin from Community Applications.  Then rescan all of your dockers for updates to flush it through.  That's it.

3 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

If you don't have it installed, install the above plugin from Community Applications.  Then rescan all of your dockers for updates to flush it through.  That's it.

I did try this, all containers reported they where updated but when I opened home assistant it wasn't the latest version,  I will try again maybe I missed a step 

not sure what happened the first time but it has worked this time. thanks for confirming how to fix this. its been driving me nuts

21 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

13 minutes ago, markinsutton said:

I did try this, all containers reported they where updated but when I opened home assistant it wasn't the latest version,  I will try again maybe I missed a step 

1 minute ago, markinsutton said:

I don't know home assistant personally, but some dockers might not be running the latest version of software within them, even although the docker itself is the latest version.  For example, I could set up a docker myself deliberately running an old version of Plex.  The docker itself would be up to date, but the software within it is not.

Sometimes docker developers deliberately don't run the latest version, or haven't got around to updating the version their docker has.  Sometimes dockers are set to check and install the latest version by restarting it.  Depends on who's written the docker, and the software within it.

• Thanks 1
    10 hours ago, markinsutton said:

This bug doesn't affect the ability to update the containers. It shows an update always available even if there wasn't one. If there would have been an update, the container would be updated.

So if you container isn't running the latest version, it's not caused by this bug.

I followed the directions from this thread, both applying the script and installing the Auto Update plugin, and neither work for me.   My issue is a little different, maybe, because i have a docker image in a slightly weird repository.......i have a client/server pair of images, and one of them is installed on dockerhub under cjmaroney01/cjmaroney01:mixmaster and the other is at cjmaroney01/mixmaster-server.   The first one always says it is ready to update, even immediately after applying an update (there was no actual update, i wrote the code in these images myself and there have been no changes).   I really think that Unraid has a bug in how it handles docker images around this type of repo path.....I am not super experienced with docker, and maybe this is not the right way to have deployed my image to dockerhub?  It does work, i can pull it down and deploy it and it runs....but Unraid seems to be confused....

43 minutes ago, cjmaroney01 said:

I followed the directions from this thread, both applying the script and installing the Auto Update plugin, and neither work for me.   My issue is a little different, maybe, because i have a docker image in a slightly weird repository.......i have a client/server pair of images, and one of them is installed on dockerhub under cjmaroney01/cjmaroney01:mixmaster and the other is at cjmaroney01/mixmaster-server.   The first one always says it is ready to update, even immediately after applying an update (there was no actual update, i wrote the code in these images myself and there have been no changes).   I really think that Unraid has a bug in how it handles docker images around this type of repo path.....I am not super experienced with docker, and maybe this is not the right way to have deployed my image to dockerhub?  It does work, i can pull it down and deploy it and it runs....but Unraid seems to be confused....

If I would guess, it's probably because it appears that they are private repositories (or a locally built one as the first doesn't seem to exist publicly on dockerhub), and unRaid can't properly check for updates to them without being logged in.

Thanks to everyone involved in this, this issue has been bothering me for quite a while. I just edited the php file with vi and it fixed my issues immediately. I'm waiting for 6.8.1 to update (never been a fan of X.X.0 versions in general, I know it's silly), I'm on 210 days of uptime.

Edited by dnLL
    8 hours ago, bonienl said:

TLDR this is fixed in Unraid 6.8 and later

Running 6.8.0 since released, this problem just popped up for me today.  All Docker containers say "update ready", updating manually does nothing.  Pulls 0 bytes, just reloads the container.

So, not fixed in 6.8.

I'm just now going through this whole thread.