• Minimum Free Space Value for a pool v share

itimpi
    • Minor

It appears that if the Minimum Free Space value for a share is larger than the Minimum Free Space value for a pool then the Share value takes precedence when deciding whether to place new files on the cache/pool or directly to the array.   I would have thought these settings should be independent?  If you have set a largish value on the share to avoid array disks getting very full this behaviour can lead to the cache/pool often unexpectedly not being used even when the free space on the cache/pool is well above the minimum free space setting for the cache/pool.

If it IS desired behaviour then at the very least the GUI Help text for this setting on a cache/pool should be updated to mention this.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I had this issue, recently, I am copying a series of 100gb files to my server and set the minimum free space on the share to 500gb (as i didnt want to completely fill my 12tb array disks) this meant that it would copy a couple of files to my 1tb cache disk (600gb useable) and then start copying directly to the array.

I don't believe this is a desired behavior as if you have a 250gb cache disk it ignores this setting, it is only when the cache disk size is above the minimum free space that this becomes an issue.

I also dont remember this being an issue in 6.8.x this only seems to be an issue in 6.9.2

13 minutes ago, doma_2345 said:

I also dont remember this being an issue in 6.8.x

It was the same, and as far as I remember, it has always been like that.

14 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It was the same, and as far as I remember, it has always been like that.

it only seems to have been an issue when i have moved my minimum free space from 100gb per share to 500gb per share before that my cache drive used to fill up and then write to the array.

I am not sure what has changed then but something has and this no longer works.

38 minutes ago, doma_2345 said:

it only seems to have been an issue when i have moved my minimum free space from 100gb per share to 500gb per share before that my cache drive used to fill up and then write to the array.

Well, that's kind of obvious since that's what the setting does, any transfer to a share with cache=yes will look at minimum free space for cache and minimum free space for that share, whichever is highest is the one that will take effect for any transfer to that share.

14 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Well, that's kind of obvious since that's what the setting does, any transfer to a share with cache=yes will look at minimum free space for cache and minimum free space for that share, whichever is highest is the one that will take effect for any transfer to that share.

thats not obvious at all... the minimum free space set on my cache is 250mb and yet it is leaving 500gb free now.

When it was set to 100gb it was leaving 250mb free in 6.8.X. Why would anyone want to leave 500gb free on a 1tb cache drive, it makes the cache drive pointless.

and i know my cache drive used to fill up as my vm's and docker cointainers would crash when there was no space left

apologies i have just checked and the minimum free space set on my cache is '0' so why would i want 500gb left unused.

Edited by doma_2345