• Mover causes all system dockers to be unresponsive

IamSpartacus
    • Minor

Please see this thread for more information.  I've seen the same behavior since 6.6 and now on to 6.7.  Also with 2 completely different servers (completely different hardware).

• Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Same here on a SuperMicro with an onboard LSI 2308 ports w/ hard drives and a LSI 9207-8i with the SSDs. They are connected to BPN-SAS2-846EL2 expanders (24 port and 12 port). When mover runs, system grinds to a halt.

I'll add my name to the list of those seeing poor response from unRAID's webgui and Docker containers whenever Mover is running. As I'm still migrating 50TB of data attached via the Unassigned Devices plugin, this is a major bottleneck. I copy about 950GB to my 1TB cache SSD, pause the copy, then manually initiate mover during which the system becomes unresponsive and Plex is unusable. If I just let the copy continue, it gets worse when the scheduled Mover run starts, which is why I pause the copy after each successive fill of the cache SSD. 6 drives are attached to my motherboard SATA connector, and 16 more slots via a LSI 9201-16i to my hot-swap SATA backplane.

If I was doing this I would not bother writing the bulk transfer to the cache drive, but instead enable ‘turbo write’ (Settings -> Disk Settings -> Tuneable (md_write_method) -> reconstruct write) and then write to the shares under /mnt/user0 (by-passing the cache disk).

Edited by remotevisitor

I did try the 'reconstruct write' mode with my array, but speed was still abysmal. My MB/CPU/RAM are an Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene (microATX), an i7-6700K and 32GB of ram. The LSI controller is in a x8/x16 slot. I did not try going to the shares via /mnt/user0 - I always wondered why they were listed under a 2nd user? How does using the /mnt/user0 mountpoints differ from the /mnt/user mountpoints? EDIT: just found that user0 is just the array disks, where user is the array and cache, so you ensure the bypass. Good to know!

I'm soon (hopefully later today) going to be re-doing my unRAID config with a re-org of the slots where I place disks, mostly to satisfy my OCD of wanting all drives of the same capacity lumped together. I'm also replacing my 2 month old 8TB parity drive with a new 10TB Ironwolf, as the 50TB is 5 x 10TB USB drives that are full, but I want to add to my unRAID after migrating their data to the array. That requires the parity disk upgrade.

But the main reason for the re-config is I'm moving to a new USB key and purchasing my unRAID Pro license - only 4 days left in my trial, and while I could request an extension, I'm quite happy with the overall use of unRAID. At least when Mover isn't required to move large amounts of data. The ease of Docker/VM configuration and the many useful plugins for unRAID make it a winner over my long-standing and stable FreeNAS, which was always a pain to configure for Docker/VMs.

Edited by AgentXXL

Sorry to hijack the thread, but just one more question: when using the Krusader docker to move data to the array, I've been copying from mountpoints I added to the Krusader config for my UD attached devices. For example, I created a new path in the Krusader config for my UD attached drive called MoviesA. I added the container path as /MoviesA and the host path as /mnt/disks/MoviesA.

But when copying from /MoviesA (on the left panel of Krusader), I've used /media/General/MoviesA/ as the path in the right panel of Krusader., where General is the share name of my main array share. What is the difference in using the /media mountpoints vs using the /mnt/user0 mountpoints? I haven't found an explanation for the differences in the /media mountpoints in my searches.

Thanks!

Try installing the mover tuning plugin.  I just added an option to it today to set the Priority of the mover process.  See if setting it to low/very low helps things out.

If it doesn't, then there's another option I can add to it to further tune it.

40 minutes ago, Squid said:

Try installing the mover tuning plugin.  I just added an option to it today to set the Priority of the mover process.  See if setting it to low/very low helps things out.

If it doesn't, then there's another option I can add to it to further tune it.

I have the Mover tuning plugin already, but I'll go update it and let you know what happens. Thanks again! Hope my donation made it to you!

2 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

Hope my donation made it to you!

Yes it did.  Thank you.  (I had the email flagged to respond on Monday)