• Mover issues ***Solved***

Can0n
    • Closed

Hello I have been having mover issues on one Unraid server (my dual Xeon E5's)...all my shares are set to use High Water and leave min 1GB free space. its bays are populated with 4x 1TB drives (2.5") for data and 2x 1TB for Parity

i was messing around with use cache settings last night when i was tired (first mistake i know) and woke up to see that it had filled my dual 500GB SSD's up with data from the Array (and meant for the array)

i fixed my use cache settings and started running mover to move the 480GB of data back over to the array.

for some reason it moved some data to the first drive then went full out on disk2 filling it up until errors were coming out from Fix common issues about the disk utilization. i noticed it was trying to move a 79GB zip file to a drive with less than 31GB free so i tried to reboot the server (no way to stop mover really wish we had that option)

it wouldnt reboot so i used my IPMI to power cycle it.  when it came back up i used CLI to go to disk2 and remove the half copied files. started mover again and it again tried to write to the nearly full disk1 even though Disk 1 has over 400GB available and disk3 has over 900GB free

not sure what governs Mover to write to the second disk when disk1 and 3 have way more space available

this was happening on 6.5.3 and 6.6.1

I have also tried to exclude disk2 and include disks1,3 and 4 but mover still moves it to disk2

any idea whats going on here?

sorry i wasnt able to get any logs

sif.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

27 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to check that share's split level, it takes precedence over allocation method.

I have never changed that and is set to

Automatically split only the top level directory as required 

on all shares

at least i don't think i switched that at any time, i checked my other server and see all share are apparently at the default of Automatically split any directory as required

You probably also want to set the Minimum Free Space value for the share to be more than the largest file you expect to move to the share.   This gets important as the disks fill up as it stops Unraid from selecting as a target for a new file any disk that has less than that amount of free space.