• Native GUI too large

RGauld
    • Annoyance

This has been ongoing for the last several releases, I was hoping someone else would have noticed it by now....

The video output from my server's on-board video is way too large...  When unRaid gets to the login (GUI) screen,

after logging in, I have to decrease the screen size to the smallest possible zoom setting to see all of the screen...

This is only in the native video output using the built-in Firefox browser, although the main unRaid login screen is

overly large as well...  

rg-server-diagnostics-20190511-1523.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Why don't you use a "remote" login using a browser?

It is very common to run Unraid headless and use the console connection for true troubleshooting only.

Edited by bonienl

I do use a remote login to access unRaid...  The gui there is normal..

However, there are times when I don't have another computer to remotely access unRaid,

so I use the built in gui…  The font/gui display has been overly large for quite a while now,

and I just want to know if it can be fixed...

Please change priority to "annoyance". This is not a blocking issue.

Edited by bonienl

The pictures don't really show the scale, but the last 2 pictures show the native web interface...

Image 4 is with the browser set to 100%, notice the logout, terminal, feedback, help, info and log

buttons are missing and only become visible when I shrink the browser down to 30% (image 5).

29 minutes ago, RGauld said:

The pictures don't really show the scale, but the last 2 pictures show the native web interface...

Image 4 is with the browser set to 100%, notice the logout, terminal, feedback, help, info and log

buttons are missing and only become visible when I shrink the browser down to 30% (image 5).

You have several tabs that are unusual - Stats and Unbalance.   What happens if you stop these from being added as discrete tabs? 

I have tried removing them...  They are not the issue...  The native gui is still too large...

It's almost as if it has been zoomed to 200%...  And it's not just the web interface, it's

all of the GUI through the native interface...  The root login, all the menu buttons:

(Web Interface, Documentation, Terminal, HTop, Midnight Commander (the entire start menu).

Have you tried a different monitor?  What type of connection are you using between the monitor and the server (VGA,  DVI, HDMI)?    I would suspect that the GPU is not getting the proper signals of the resolutions that your monitor supports and it is defaulting to something like 640X480. 

I am also having this issue and I tried switching monitors and cables. Nothing changed it and currently because I'm running a router on a stick with pfsense (no level 3 switch) I require putting my keyfile in via webgui for now..

I couldn't even access the files because the folder search won't fit on-screen. Cost me probably 2 hours to figure out hitting "maximize" forces it in the screen -_-

absolute pain in the ass.

This happened before and was fixed before, now it has returned!

Edited by zjosh86

Yes, I've tried different monitors...   The connection from the on-board video on the server is VGA...

Is there no fix for this?

I have 2 unRaid servers running 6.7 which are connected to the same monitor via a KVM.

One server displays the GUI at the normal high resolution of the monitor, and the other server displays the GUI at the low resolution.

Several releases back both displayed the GUI at the normal high resolution.

Although I do suspect that the response the monitor gives to its capabilities, it possibly also depends on the something in the video driver, 

Using the command xrandr ...

OK system: AMD A10-6800K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics @ 4100 MHz shows

Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1200, current 1920 x 1200, maximum 1920 x 1200
    default connected 1920x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
       1920x1200      0.00*

while the problem system: AMD A4-3300 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics @ 2500 MHz

Screen 0: minimum 720 x 400, current 720 x 400, maximum 720 x 400
    default connected 720x400+0+0 0mm x 0mm
       720x400        0.00*

They are connecting to the same monitor.

I tried entering this from the monitor and keyboard connected to the server...

the command "xrandr" typed in a terminal widow from within the GUI gives the following:

"Can't open display"

If I boot unRaid into the non-gui interface, the message I get is:

"command not found"

Also tried from a putty interface, same message:

"command not found"

I also had the command fail when using the terminal window provided by the gui.   However, if I used putty to ssh into the server the command worked ok.

I am also facing this issue since last 3 versions. I am currently on 6.8.3.

The xrandr command when ran from the terminal opened from the remote web login, gives "can't open display" error.

FYI the problem is the lack of graphics drivers, but is also impacted by certain cards behaviour with the default display driver.

Tested with a large 4K screen (possibly a contributing factor).

My experience:

• older amd gpu: garbage experience with microtext on a tiny resolution
    • new nvidia gpu: usable resolution (but not full) with expected text size, OK experience.
    • new nvidia gpu + nvidia unraid build (aka having gpu drivers): full resolution, expected text size, great experience

I would expect new AMD with drivers to also be great, but new AMD with default driver might be a crappshoot.

Edited by tjb_altf4