• NFS is about useless in Unraid 6.8.0

FlamongOle
    • Solved Minor

Every time I move a file from one location to another (from eg. shared scratch location (nvme) to a cached location (mec. disk)) within shared locations in NFS I constantly get stale file handles and the client drops out. This can be critical as some VM's uses the same mounted shares as I have in general bad luck with write permissions with 9p over VM's. But it's quite annoying for my regular workstation as well as I suddenly looses access due to stale handle when a "Mover" has been running.

I dunno if this is only related to cache shares (but it might look like), or if it happens when things have changed on one of the disks in general. The problem did not happen under 6.7.x or earlier.

I have tried fuse_remember values of standard 330 (which I used with success in earlier versions), 900 to just try a higher number, and also -1 as I have plenty of memory - though I'm not sure if I want that kind of cache to last that long. Honestly can't find any proper answer for what this actually does anyway.

It makes Unraid almost entirely unusable for me, and I can't figure out why this suddenly happens. I hope it's something wrong on my end, but I haven't really changed anything the last 4-5 years (even before my Unraid time).

odin-diagnostics-20200101-2012.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

NFS outdated? It is for sure old, but still widely used and the logic choice for linux users anyway. I tried using Samba without so much more luck really, the problem seemed similar as long as I tried to mount it in fstab.

Anyway, to the important bit: Changing the hard link tunable to "no" seem to have solved the issue. Just to be sure here, there's nothing else affected by this? Does Unraid use hard links, and will this tunable might break some functionality? Or is it that I just can't make hard links myself anymore (which I don't use anyway)?

fuse_remember has usually always worked at 330, so I will be leaving it to the default value.

Anyway, thanks for the update!

Tip: add some info that stale file handles might cause issues with hard link support turned on - maybe even on the NFS page itself - would make sense?

Sorry but could not resist laughing a bit about the NFS outdated comment.

I beg to differ. Millions of servers in datacenters around the world rely totaly on it.

Including the multi billion dollar company's i am working with running insane fast NFS attached storage clusters to run their entire enterprise systems on. 

Old yes, ideal surely not, outdated , absolutely not and there to stay for a while. It does require skill to tune for specific workloads and get it all right for sure.

Edited by glennv
    20 hours ago, olehj said:

Does Unraid use hard links, and will this tunable might break some functionality? Or is it that I just can't make hard links myself anymore (which I don't use anyway)?

We don't use hard links.  With 'support hard links' set to 'no' then if a file operation attempts to create a hard link it will fail with ENOTSUP error.  This is because two directory entries that refer to same file must return the same 'inode' number, and this is not supported by FUSE.  But FUSE does support passing the inode number as-is from a file.  But the problem you run into is if he file physically moves from one file system to another, eg, from cache to diskN, then the inode number changes but the file path via /mnt/user does not.

20 hours ago, olehj said:

Tip: add some info that stale file handles might cause issues with hard link support turned on - maybe even on the NFS page itself - would make sense?

Yes we should do that.  Maybe add third setting 'auto' - which will turn off hard link support if NFS enabled and turn it on if disabled.

• Thanks 1
    8 hours ago, glennv said:

Sorry but could not resist laughing a bit about the NFS outdated comment.

Right well my comment was only partially sarcastic.  Lots of issues with NFS over the years, especially with security.

@limetech Do we have an option to turn on/off Hard Links support per share?

I have some share must enable hard links support (like PT/BT and emby medias), but others won't needed (like coding share), but the stale problem reallly annoying.

• Like 1
    10 hours ago, Leoyzen said:

@limetech Do we have an option to turn on/off Hard Links support per share?

I have some share must enable hard links support (like PT/BT and emby medias), but others won't needed (like coding share), but the stale problem reallly annoying.

Yes looking at that for next minor release.  In meantime if you have such files on a cache-only or cache-no share then mover won't move the files and you shouldn't see stale file handles.

I can and confirm that setting

"Settings => Global Share Settings => Tunable (support Hard Links)" to NO

resolves the problem.

Strange thing is that I never had a problem with nfs shares before.

The problems started after I upgraded my Unraid Server (mobo, cpu, ...) and installed a Linux Mint VM as my primary Client.
    I "migrated" the nfs settings (fstab) from my old Kubuntu Client (real hardware, no VM) to the new Linux Mint VM and the problems started. The old Kubuntu Client does not seem to have those problems...

Perhaps also a client problem? kubuntu vs mint, nemo vs dolphin?

I do not agree that NFS is an outdated archaic protocol, it works far better than SMB if you have Linux Clients!

Edited by vakilando
    • Like 2
    On 8/9/2020 at 2:45 PM, vakilando said:

I do not agree that NFS is an outdated archaic protocol, it works far better than SMB if you have Linux Clients!

Also on MacOS.