• No GUI loaded after update to 6.11.0 from 6.10.3

Zahir Saleh
    • Solved Urgent

Hi,

I updated my sever to 6.11.0 from 6.10.3 and everything went well. I am able to access the GUI through a remote computer without any issues. However, the GUI does not load on the monitor connected directly on the server. The monitor stays on (does not go to standby) but blank. Is this a bug? Please help.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

5 minutes ago, Zahir Saleh said:

Hi SimonF,

I using the inbuilt graphics adapter that comes with HP DL380p, Gen8. I am not sure the exact make/model. How do I check?... I have also attached the diagnostics Zip in reply to trurl.

01:00.1 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200EH [102b:0533]

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company iLO4 [103c:3381]

• Like 1

There had to have been some driver which worked, as VGA was working before (mine is also Matrox), and is not now.

Is it known if it's ONLY Matrox VGA which has been affected?

There was no specif Matrox driver, it was using the default VGA driver, same as now, there should be a Matrox driver in the next release, hopefully it helps.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

There was no specif Matrox driver, it was using the default VGA driver, same as now, there should be a Matrox driver in the next release, hopefully it helps.

This is well as far as the next release goes.  Is there anything that can be done for now? Drivers that can be availed as a patch? Any work around?...

I've just finished updating my system to 6.11.1 and my Matrox VGA display is now working correctly.

Thanks to the Limetech team for getting a solution rolled so quickly.

• Like 2

I just got around to updating my Dell T140, to 6.11.3 and am having the same issue. I was on 6.9.2 before, as I had network interface issues last time on 6.10.x and rolled back and waited a bit. Network is great, can get to gui there. I see all the boot stuff but it goes blank when it would show the GUI on local VGA.

I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or not since this is marked solved but describes my issue exactly.

Updating to note that it uses Matrox video according to Dell's specs.

Diagnostics attached. Please help! Thanks!

megachurch-diagnostics-20221116-2231.zip

Edited by Hastor
    5 hours ago, Hastor said:

I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or not since this is marked solved but describes my issue exactly.

It does look related since your server has a Matrox, but the driver is loading, and AFAIK that solved the problem for any other server using a Matrox GPU.

13 hours ago, Hastor said:

I see all the boot stuff but it goes blank when it would show the GUI on local VGA.

One thing you can try is to prevent the driver form loading, just in case with your server it causes issues instead of helping, click on the flash drive and add the below to sysçinux.cfg:

imagem.png

10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

One thing you can try is to prevent the driver form loading, just in case with your server it causes issues instead of helping, click on the flash drive and add the below to sysçinux.cfg:

imagem.png

That didn't change anything. I also tried adding it in the same place in the GUI box below that one since that's the issue, and I thought maybe it wasn't running that line since I was booting to GUI, but that didn't change anything either. I reverted to my backup of 6.9.2, GUI came back, and then I upgraded again before attempting the above just to be sure I had a clean upgrade. Nothing I tried gave me a GUI over VGA again on the current version.

I have always noticed on 6.9.2 that Unraid runs very large by default on my 1080p monitor, and I have to scroll left/right to see everything, or zoom out the browser. Were there any changes in resolution since 6.9.2? This is the info I can find on the server I'm using:

image.png.5cd3b51024bcf3124e8d9f0a0c41c4b2.png

I am using a very vanilla install. Anything else I can try/provide? I do appreciate the assistance very much!

Edited by Hastor
    4 hours ago, Hastor said:

I have always noticed on 6.9.2 that Unraid runs very large by default on my 1080p monitor, and I have to scroll left/right to see everything, or zoom out the browser. Were there any changes in resolution since 6.9.2?

That's normal because with v6.9 and v6.10 no driver is loaded for a Matrox GPU, it uses the sock VGA driver, one was added for 6.11 since the stock VGA driver stopped working with the GUI, and like mentioned looks like the driver works for everyone with a Matrox GPU except you, not sure why or if anything can be done to fix it since it's already using the correct driver, and it also doesn't work without it.

12 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's normal because with v6.9 and v6.10 no driver is loaded for a Matrox GPU, it uses the sock VGA driver, one was added for 6.11 since the stock VGA driver stopped working with the GUI, and like mentioned looks like the driver works for everyone with a Matrox GPU except you, not sure why or if anything can be done to fix it since it's already using the correct driver, and it also doesn't work without it.

I'm definitely not the only T140 user here, but I haven't heard from others. I'm gonna try a different monitor tomorrow, that Unraid 6.9.2 displayed much better on for some reason (but only with certain VGA cables). I'm moving and its power supply is packed so I ordered a same-day delivery PSU for it to test today. I borrowed this monitor from my partner for the upgrade, but it DOES get video on 6.9.2.

Just to be sure, should I be putting that line in the box you showed, or the one under it for GUI?

Is that definitely blocking the right driver for the chipset showin in the screenshot I posted above?

I really appreciate your help, I just really need to use Unraid for hopefully a few more years on this machine! I need to upgrade my cache and 6.9.2 has a bug with doing that! Currently on this machine, 6.9.2 = cache upgrade bug, 6.10.x = no network, 6.11.3 = no video. I feel like I'm not having very good luck lol.

Edited by Hastor