• No Thunderbolt Support in 6.8

techglitch

Unraid 6.7.2 had Thunderbolt support in the kernel but 6.8.0 does not.  This results in missing disks if anybody has Thunderbolt 2 or 3 hard disk(s) and upgrades to 6.8.0

Unable to "modprobe thunderbolt"  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thanks. Yeah I'm not sure what's going on or why the drives show up in 6.7.2 but not 6.8 but I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the array. Anyways I apologize for the confusion. However having official an actual thunderbolt module in the next release would be awesome! 

I have the same problem. My array had working USB3.1 drives under 6.7.2, and it failed to recognize the drives on 6.8. Rolling back fixed the issue.

I believe the error was related to "not enough bandwidth" or something to that effect in the dmesg logs. I already rolled back since I need my array online currently. Once I can take it offline for testing, I'll provide additional details.

Using ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller

Edited by _Sonicos_
    Adding specificity
    4 hours ago, _Sonicos_ said:

I have the same problem. My array had working USB3.1 drives under 6.7.2, and it failed to recognize the drives on 6.8. Rolling back fixed the issue.

I believe the error was related to "not enough bandwidth" or something to that effect in the dmesg logs. I already rolled back since I need my array online currently. Once I can take it offline for testing, I'll provide additional details.

Using ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller

This seems like a separate issue than 'thunderbolt'.  Please open separate bug report and post the diagnostics.  It's very unusual that a kernel patch update would cause a device to no longer function.

Thats funny because I swear 6.7.2 had Thunderbolt support in some way.  At that time, I was trying to use a 7th gen intel NUC with an external Thunderbolt to PCIe enclosure (for an HBA card).  With the stock unraid kernel/build it sorta worked (initially worked) but it proved to be too unstable in the long run.  I've since gone in the opposite direction and built a full server.  I assumed the thunderbolt to PCIe function required a driver of some sort to manage/enable but maybe it was transparent to the OS.  I never truly found an answer to that on google. At the time, I never saw any thunderbolt modules loading and just assumed it was part of the kernel.