• Parity disk change while invalid can cause erros if different size device is used

JorgeB
    • Minor

This bug likely exists for some time, guess it's a corner case, but an user ran into it today.

How to reproduce:

Say you have all 2TB data disks, upgrade parity to a larger disk, e.g. 3TB, start the array and cancel the parity sync, stop the array and replace the 3TB parity with a 2TB disk, start array and parity sync will start again but will still show the old 3TB size for total parity size (not the disk itself), then it will error out during the sync when it runs past the actual parity size with an error similar to this one:

May 28 19:04:44 Tower9 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
    May 28 19:04:44 Tower9 kernel: sdc: rw=1, want=976773176, limit=976773168
    May 28 19:04:44 Tower9 kernel: md: disk0 write error, sector=976773104
    May 28 19:04:44 Tower9 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
    May 28 19:04:44 Tower9 kernel: sdc: rw=1, want=976773184, limit=976773168
    May 28 19:04:45 Tower9 kernel: md: disk0 write error, sector=976773112
    May 28 19:04:45 Tower9 kernel: md: recovery thread: exit status: -4

This will result in parity disk being disabled, and the user will need to sync it again.

I guess there will also be a problem if a small disk is used first and then replaced with a larger one, likely parity will say valid but it won't be synced past the end of the smaller device.

• Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I guess there will also be a problem if a small disk is used first and then replaced with a larger one, likely parity will say valid but it won't be synced past the end of the smaller device.

I think I remember something like that happening, where the first parity check after a "successful" parity build ends up with thousands of errors. That could be nasty if a user happens to add a larger data disk in that state before parity is truly correct.

Did a quick test, mostly out of curiosity, and if a small device is used first it's as I suspected, parity sync finishes successfully and is reported as valid but it's only synced up to the size of the original device, so after that it will be out of sync (unless the disk was cleared).

10 hours ago, jonathanm said:

I think I remember something like that happening

I also remember some cases that could have resulted from this bug, also cases where multiple users have reported similar issue (parity completely out of sync after a certain point) after doing a parity-swap, but can't see how it relates directly to this, so likely a different corner case/bug.