• Slow SMB access times, general io vs SFTP

mrpops2ko
    • Annoyance

hi just wanted to x-post from 

to put it in the appropriate section, in the hopes of limetech putting priority towards fixing this bug.

I could copy / paste all the messages I wrote from the thread above but it seems needlessly redundant. In summary SMB performance on unraid sucks, is significantly worse than any other implementation by any other provider and all the tests mentioned in that thread can be repeated / are easily verifiable.

18504adf5da19d348bc79c32858046cf.gif

SMB to unraid on the left

SFTP to unraid on the right

I think its clear to see this isn't made up - SMB is a huge portion of a large swath of unraid users ecosystems. The SFTP workaround detailed in the thread is viable, but not nearly as desired as a native fix.

• Upvote 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have the same problem. I'm new to Unraid (used Windows Server before) and also experience that listing directories via SMB seems to be extremely slow.

Opening a directory in Windows explorer that has ~4000 files takes 25-30 seconds for me (on Windows Server this almost opened instantly). This makes browsing through directories on unraid painfully slow. I'm not using the "folder caching" plugin and I'm also running Unraid pretty much with default settings.

Really wondering if this is normal or if there is something wrong with the latest Unraid version or the compatibility with my machine.

I'm using Unraid with user shares (no disk shares). I also tried listing some directories via SCP and this seems to be much faster than SMB.

I have also the same issue. It used ot be far better in 6.9.x. I can also confirm performance are worst since 6.10.x.

During holidays I have planned to work on my unraid (edit videos, photos etc...) Last time I did it was in july, and I was able to work on my unraid easely. Last week was a nightmare. I had to move files on my local computer to just be able to work. A simple search on 12TB of files (big files... 1GB minimum), can take up to 2mn. Editing is just not possible. It always used ot be slower remotely... but this time it is just a nightmare. 

I have also notice is a drop in performance when I do multitask on the same share. For example, if I have a download (direct torrent download on unraid with qbittorent docker) + access files on the same driver with SMB... Performance drop is clearly amazing.... from 110MB/s to 20-30MB/s.... just because I use SMB at the same time.

• Watching a movie with local SMB on vlc + torrent direct download => 30Mb/s download speed
    • Watching a movie with local Plex (http) + torrent direct download => 110Mb/s download speed.

I assume SMB use so many IOs that it struggles completely the server.

FYI, I am the only user of my unraid... so I can imagine with dozens and dozens of users, it is just not usable at all.

Of course, there is no hardware bottleneck on my server. Intel I7 10k, 512 nvme ssd cache + 4 drives 4TB xfs on sata. I drive for parity. I assume it is a standard low configuration used by most people for home server.

Let me know if I can help (tests, etc...). Do not hesitate.

Edited by tapodufeu
    22 hours ago, tapodufeu said:

I can also confirm performance are worst since 6.10.x.

Are you using v6.10 or v6.11, SMB performance improved a lot on v6.11

Hi JorgeB,

I am on 6.11. I don't know if performance increased from 6.10 to 6.11... because the only time last year I worked remotely I was on 6.9 and it worked well.

Did you ever fix this? I am having the same issue with extremely slow directory listing and slow transfer speeds.