• SMB Shares crashed and no longer in network after 6.11.2 update

PhilipJFry
    • Solved Urgent

Hi,
    The upgrade went fine, no issues.

I started coping some photos from an iMac to the Server, which went fine for about an hour.

Suddenly the copy process dies with an error, and ALL the SMB shares are gone.

Nov  7 16:51:36 Futurama  emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sde
    Nov  7 16:54:43 Futurama  dhcpcd[1229]: br0: failed to renew DHCP, rebinding
    Nov  7 16:54:43 Futurama  dhcpcd[1229]: br0: leased 192.168.7.227 for 14400 seconds
    Nov  7 16:58:35 Futurama  smbd[29181]: [2022/11/07 16:58:35.887620,  0] ../../source3/smbd/open.c:958(fd_openat)
    Nov  7 16:58:35 Futurama  smbd[29181]:   Too many open files, unable to open more!  smbd's max open files = 16424
    Nov  7 16:58:36 Futurama  smbd[29181]: [2022/11/07 16:58:36.034052,  0] ../../source3/smbd/open.c:958(fd_openat)
    Nov  7 16:58:36 Futurama  smbd[29181]:   Too many open files, unable to open more!  smbd's max open files = 16424
    Nov  7 16:58:36 Futurama  smbd[29181]: [2022/11/07 16:58:36.050145,  0] ../../source3/smbd/files.c:1199(synthetic_pathref)
    Nov  7 16:58:36 Futurama  smbd[29181]:   synthetic_pathref: opening [events/albums/frame/20181004_122419.jpg] failed
    and repeat  over and over

root@Futurama:~# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
    root@Futurama:~# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
    20256   0       3231614
    root@Futurama:~# sysctl fs.file-max
    fs.file-max = 3231614
    root@Futurama:~# ulimit -n
    root@Futurama:~# ulimit -Hn

What's going on?.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is just a general observation of the bug-reports forum and not specific to this issue.

As a newbie to Unraid, and reading through comments above and in other topics, it would appear that as the software has been maturing, more and more issues have been creeping in. This is not unexpected as the user base grows and the software becomes more sophisticated.

I am not familiar (nor should I be) with the internal workings of product development and testing within LT. Though I am surprised that they are not using say Jira for bug/tracking and having it open to users. A forum like this in respect of "bugs" can drift and distract from the original topic.

When I first joined Unraid/forums, I was under the impression that LT was across and responding to virtually all posts (mainly bugs) accordingly. It would appear that the majority of support comes from community members. Which is a good thing...but..

When a customer pays for a product, there is a certain unrealistic expectation that the software is always fit-for-purpose and bug-free :-). And when that doesn't happen we respond accordingly:

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers server. 🙂

I don't think that anyone here means to vent or come across aggressively or with any kind of malice. It is simple frustration, and that we feel that our voices are not making any traction sometimes.

We all love and respect you and appreciate your efforts in resolving the many challenges in resolving the bugs.

PS:

If we cannot reproduce an issue in our beta and rc tests, we cannot fix it.

I'm in software (web) development too and yes not having reproducible bugs is dang near impossible to fix. Perhaps just don't say this out loud. 😜

• Thanks 1

Try putting this in the smb-extra.conf file:

max open files = 40960

and restart samba:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

• Like 2

Holds breath for a few minutes!.

The copying dialog box froze for a few mins... Back on track now... Suspect it was other drivers spinning up and the parity drive catching a breath?

image.png.27c4f4c114ccd534a44a79f509f7d081.png

@dlandon.

After running 2 tests with about 700Gb and 10,000 files I can gladly confirm that the issue did NOT happen. 🙂 👍🏻.

Looks like you have nailed it!

Thank you for your (and others?) due diligence in getting this resolved. ❤️

On 11/9/2022 at 1:15 PM, PhilipJFry said:

I don't think that anyone here means to vent or come across aggressively or with any kind of malice. It is simple frustration, and that we feel that our voices are not making any traction sometimes.

This largely sums up my thoughts. The overall trend is Unraid is becoming less stable. The release of 6.11.2 is a perfect example. It's not some hard to duplicate problem. It's a problem anyone can reproduce. The 2TB drive limit was only an issue perhaps 10+ years ago. How does it get introduced into an Unraid release in 2022? Unraid claims to be "conservative" around their releases preferring more testing rather than more often. Yet that's not at all what's happening today.

There are some helpful people offering suggestions to work around the increasing number of problems in Unraid. And we all appreciate their contributions. But, as @PhillpJFry said, some of us feel our voices are not making any traction. Where is @Limetech on all this?

On 11/10/2022 at 6:28 AM, dlandon said:

A fix will be in a future release so you don’t have to add this to the smb-extra.conf.

just a heads up. A Mac photo library that is of any substantial size (like 175GB for example) blows past the 40964 open file limit when transferring to the server and the file limit has to be increased way beyond that. [learned from experience and several failures today before finding this thread and increasing to a ludicrous number to try and get this moved over]. Hopefully it will be more easily user adjustable in the future release.

Edited by 1812
    59 minutes ago, 1812 said:

just a heads up. A Mac photo library that is of any substantial size (like 175GB for example) blows past the 40964 open file limit when transferring to the server and the file limit has to be increased way beyond that. [learned from experience and several failures today before finding this thread and increasing to a ludicrous number to try and get this moved over]. Hopefully it will be more easily user adjustable in the future release.

I'm adding a setting to the Tips and Tweaks plugin to set the max open files (ulimit).  This is the max open files used by Linux.  Samba will be set to this max open files limit.

• Thanks 1
    1 hour ago, 1812 said:

A Mac photo library that is of any substantial size (like 175GB for example) blows past the 40964 open file limit

Samba has an absolute max of 65535.

• Thanks 1
    1 hour ago, limetech said:

Samba has an absolute max of 65535.

Then I'm not sure why this is currently working? I mean, I know what value I entered on purpose for max open files (just to see what would happen). But it seems like I'm chugging along beyond it. Maybe it'll all come to a screeching halt soon?

1295242832_Screenshot2022-11-17at8_43_50PM.thumb.png.524aaa23a28e48a46bc7478be2114812.png

912154512_Screenshot2022-11-17at8_15_08PM.thumb.png.27192e07d8af8cf23ccb02ddad8e19cd.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by 1812
    updated image
    20 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Very strange.  I set up 100000 max open files and it worked.  Testparm showed the new value and didn't issue a warning.  smbd picked up the large value.

Sure you can set a larger value, doesn't mean it uses it ;)  You can turn on Samba debugging and see if that "file_init_global: Information only: requested ..." message appears.

• Haha 2