• [SMBD][6.11.0] Pathref errors

sabertooth
    • Urgent

System log is flooded with below messages (after the upgrade):

Sep 26 08:47:39 UnraidZFS smbd[31175]: synthetic_pathref: opening [Someone’s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle/bands/2:AFP_AfpInfo] failed Sep 26 08:47:39 UnraidZFS smbd[31175]: [2022/09/26 08:47:39.199065, 0] ../../source3/smbd/files.c:1193(synthetic_pathref)

This is applicable for all shares:

synthetic_pathref: opening [data/backup/Downloads/ntfs.sh:AFP_AfpInfo] failed

unraidzfs-diagnostics-20220926-0853.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Are all your shares ZFS volumes?

What self installed packages are you installing from /boot/extra?

Does everything work even with the log messages?

1. All shares have a data folder which links to ZFS volumes. Though this is not true for timemachine share.

2. /boot/extra: gcc

3. Log file grew so fast that I had to revert back to 6.10.3

1 hour ago, sabertooth said:

3. Log file grew so fast that I had to revert back to 6.10.3

If the log messages didn't show, does everything work?

Is there a way you can boot in safe mode and see if the log messages still appear?

I'd also like to chime in with this same issue.

Just noticed today, but /var/log/ is flooded with this same error message.

Running a mixture of xfs/btrfs

I am having the same issue. syslog filling up with:

Sep 26 13:15:59 Tower  smbd[30867]: [2022/09/26 13:15:59.811060,  0] ../../source3/smbd/files.c:1193(synthetic_pathref)
    Sep 26 13:15:59 Tower  smbd[30867]:   synthetic_pathref: opening [Spencer’s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle/mapped/1310:AFP_AfpInfo] failed

My SMB extra configuration looks like this:

#unassigned_devices_start
    #Unassigned devices share includes
       include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf
    #unassigned_devices_end
    #macOS config start
    [Global]
       vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
       fruit:nfs_aces = no
       fruit:zero_file_id = yes
       fruit:metadata = stream
       fruit:encoding = native
       spotlight backend = tracker
    #macOS config  end

My time machine backups seem to be working fine, just filling up my /var/log.

I tried in safe mode as well, the logs synthetic_pathref errors are still showing in safemode. Watching the logs, it looks like these errors only appear when something is trying to read the .sparsebundle file (such as Time Machine or viewing the share via SMB). When I turn time machine off on my mac the errors stop showing.

9 minutes ago, DanTheMan827 said:

@rocketeer55 I also have a global config with fruit settings...

I found this thread on the truenas forums suggesting fruit:metadata be set to netatalk, so maybe that would help?

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/log-filled-with-failed-fruit.80663/

Just tried swapping to netatalk, but now timemachine is unable to backup: (from time machine logs on my mac)

2022-09-26 14:52:29  Failed to attach using DiskImages2 to url '/Volumes/.timemachine/Tower._smb._tcp.local/F935D0CE-7989-4B52-80A2-B058F586E4BD/Time Machine/Spencer’s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle', error: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=19 "Operation not supported by device" UserInfo={DIErrorVerboseInfo=Failed to initialize IO manager: Failed opening folder for entries reading}

It would be better for you to do your MacOS adjustments using the 6.11 scheme.  Modifying the smb-extras.conf can cause issues if not done correctly and we'd like to end up with settings we can apply generically in Unraid.

Copy the smb-fruit configuration file to the flash device:

cp /etc/samba/smb-fruit.conf /boot/config/smb-fruit.conf

Then edit the parameters in the /flash/config/smb-fruit.conf file.  Those settings will be applied to the shares when samba is started.  These settings will also be applied to UD shares.  If all of the SMB shares are not set up with the vfs objects = fruit, you'll can have issues.

Restart samba after you make changes:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

Be sure the MacOS interroperability setting is on in the SMB settings.

9 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It would be better for you to do your MacOS adjustments using the 6.11 scheme.  Modifying the smb-extras.conf can cause issues if not done correctly and we'd like to end up with settings we can apply generically in Unraid.

Copy the smb-fruit configuration file to the flash device:

cp /etc/samba/smb-fruit.conf /boot/config/smb-fruit.conf

Then edit the parameters in the /flash/config/smb-fruit.conf file.  Those settings will be applied to the shares when samba is started.  These settings will also be applied to UD shares.  If all of the SMB shares are not set up with the vfs objects = fruit, you'll can have issues.

Restart samba after you make changes:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

Be sure the MacOS interroperability setting is on in the SMB settings.

I'm a little confused by this, you're saying I shouldn't have any entries in SETTINGS -> SMB -> Samba extra configuration?
    Is the destination path supposed to be /boot/config/smb-fruit.conf or /flash/config/smb-fruit.conf? you mention both.
    What parameters should I edit in this file?

How can I check if all of my SMB shares are "set up with the vfs objects = fruit"?

Does my array need to be stopped before I perform these operations?

Do I need to remove all the configuration in SETTINGS -> SMB -> Samba extra configuration after doing this, or just the part within the #macOS config start / end comments?

11 minutes ago, limetech said:

Are all these reports only applicable to Time Machine backup operations?

I am also getting the error when I simply browse the Time Machine share via Finder on my Mac, mounted via SMB.

35 minutes ago, rocketeer55 said:

I'm a little confused by this, you're saying I shouldn't have any entries in SETTINGS -> SMB -> Samba extra configuration?

Yes, try to avoid that for fruit settings.

36 minutes ago, rocketeer55 said:

Is the destination path supposed to be /boot/config/smb-fruit.conf or /flash/config/smb-fruit.conf? you mention both.

The idea is to make a copy on the flash device.  When Unraid sees the smb-fruit.conf on the flash, those settings are applied for fruit settings.  If the flash copy is not available, Unraid uses the default settings at /etc/samba/smb-fruit.conf.  The idea is that the flash settings get applied on each reboot and you customize for your use case.

39 minutes ago, rocketeer55 said:

What parameters should I edit in this file?

Settings in that file are commented out.  You uncomment the settings you think will apply to your situation and restart samba so you can do some testing.  We want people to test and give feedback so we can create a set of generic settings as a default.

41 minutes ago, rocketeer55 said:

How can I check if all of my SMB shares are "set up with the vfs objects = fruit"?

cat /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf.

42 minutes ago, rocketeer55 said:

Does my array need to be stopped before I perform these operations?

No.  Make your changes and restart samba.  They will be applied.

42 minutes ago, rocketeer55 said:

Do I need to remove all the configuration in SETTINGS -> SMB -> Samba extra configuration after doing this, or just the part within the #macOS config start / end comments?

Remove any settings related to fruit.  Other settings in smb-extras.conf can stay.

This scheme insures that the fruit settings are applied correctly per share.  There is a special case with fat and exfat file systems.  Special settings for these devices are applied because those file systems do not support extended attributes and writes can fail.  You can't apply fruit settings globally for all shares.

Thank for for the detailed response, that makes a lot of sense. I'm going to first try some steps I saw on other threads to try and make time machine work without these fruit settings in the first place (reinstalling macOS, and following spaceinvader one's time machine video). If it's not working with the defaults I'll use this method to try new fruit settings and I'll report back here.

But, in response to the original bug for this thread, my fruit settings were the same between 6.10 and 6.11 but my log files were not filling up in 6.10. I'll be curious to see if that is still the case if I manage to get time machine working with the default smb/fruit configuration.

Keep in mind that Samba is being updated regularly and I would bet that a recent change is affecting time machine.  This is a "whack a mole" kind of thing.  Samba makes changes and LT has to figure out how to make it work with Unraid after the fact.

After a fresh install of macos, removal of samba extra config parameters, new time machine share, and several reboots, I still wasn't able to get time machine periodic backups working (the initial backup works fine).

Luckily I was able to get time machine periodic backups working with just one change to my /boot/config/smb-fruit.conf file.

Periodic backups are working and my /var/log/syslog is not being spammed anymore.

7 hours ago, limetech said:

Are all these reports only applicable to Time Machine backup operations?

This is applicable to all shares and not restricted to Time Machine.

6 hours ago, dlandon said:

Yes, try to avoid that for fruit settings.

The idea is to make a copy on the flash device.  When Unraid sees the smb-fruit.conf on the flash, those settings are applied for fruit settings.  If the flash copy is not available, Unraid uses the default settings at /etc/samba/smb-fruit.conf.  The idea is that the flash settings get applied on each reboot and you customize for your use case.

Settings in that file are commented out.  You uncomment the settings you think will apply to your situation and restart samba so you can do some testing.  We want people to test and give feedback so we can create a set of generic settings as a default.

cat /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf.

No.  Make your changes and restart samba.  They will be applied.

Remove any settings related to fruit.  Other settings in smb-extras.conf can stay.

This scheme insures that the fruit settings are applied correctly per share.  There is a special case with fat and exfat file systems.  Special settings for these devices are applied because those file systems do not support extended attributes and writes can fail.  You can't apply fruit settings globally for all shares.

/etc/samba/smb-shares.conf contains following:

This is released product, why should customers test this on production systems.

Why can't you replicate this in-house? RC releases are completely different story.

5 hours ago, sabertooth said:

/etc/samba/smb-shares.conf contains following:

Correct, the smb-fruit.conf file contains all the fruit settings.

5 hours ago, sabertooth said:

This is released product, why should customers test this on production systems.

Why can't you replicate this in-house? RC releases are completely different story.

My wording may not have been the best.  In this situation, there is a log message not seen in internal testing or rc releases and we are trying to understand where it is comming from.

The smb-fruit.conf file contains the most common settings used for fruit settings.  The uncommented settings are the default settings.  The commented settings are optional.  The idea is to not have to change the smb-extras.conf file to make any adjustments you might need for your particular system.  Changes in the extras file are global and the settings in the fruit file are applied per share.

Periodic time machine backups stopped working again. I'm going to just stop using time machine for now, it seems like a lot more effort to fix your product than its worth to me. I can't keep kicking my users off my production unraid server to try to fix untested features in your product.

Best of luck fixing this issue.

20 hours ago, dlandon said:

In this situation, there is a log message not seen in internal testing or rc releases and we are trying to understand where it is comming from.

I'm sorry to say the obvious here, but I don't think you've done enough internal/RC testing then to release this as "stable".

Users that had SMB configured configured to work correctly in 6.10.3 shouldn't expect their syslog to fill up with errors to the point where they have to either downgrade or have a lengthy "whack-a-mole" back-and-forth with you on the UnRAID forums for STABLE software. This is a very serious issue, and you SHOULD be able to easily replicate it using the same SMB settings on your own servers and a single macOS installation. You have the entire logs and you have the SMB settings. Don't expect your paying customers to do the debugging and testing of your STABLE software. We are paying for the benefit of NOT having to do that.

I'm very disappointed by this experience. Why were we recommended to upgrade exactly? Wasn't this supposed to be a non-problematic upgrade, better, more secure? What was the rush to upgrade? What benefit was it to me? Reminder that this is NAS software, not a general purpose Linux OS, and you're telling me one of the most basic features of NAS software, namely backups over SMB, was just one of those weird edge case things that didn't pop up during your deep and extensive internal and RC testing? Do better.

21 hours ago, dlandon said:

Correct, the smb-fruit.conf file contains all the fruit settings.

My wording may not have been the best.  In this situation, there is a log message not seen in internal testing or rc releases and we are trying to understand where it is comming from.

The smb-fruit.conf file contains the most common settings used for fruit settings.  The uncommented settings are the default settings.  The commented settings are optional.  The idea is to not have to change the smb-extras.conf file to make any adjustments you might need for your particular system.  Changes in the extras file are global and the settings in the fruit file are applied per share.

I have uploaded the diagnostics, could you please suggest exact changes I should to in smb-extra.cong?

Also, am seeing these errors again while accessing these shares from within Windows, earlier problems were from macOS.

Hello, I am new to unraid, I'm liking it so far, I've only been setting it up the last couple of days!

I wanted to go ahead and post that I am having this issue too out of the latest version.

Sep 29 22:09:09 jlw-unRaid  smbd[8866]:   synthetic_pathref: opening [plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server.7z] failed

Hope this helps!

Edited by jlw_4049

Yes my log is also flooded to death with this error since upgrade to 6.11. For me, it's occuring when my blue iris server (separate bare metal win 10 PC) tries to run cleanup (move files to archive or delete files past max retention).

Oct 1 01:15:12 RackServer smbd[6050]: [2022/10/01 01:15:12.387938, 0] ../../source3/smbd/files.c:1193(synthetic_pathref) Oct 1 01:15:12 RackServer smbd[6050]: synthetic_pathref: opening [bistore/livingroomcam.20220924_011246860.jpg] failed

In smb extras I have the following

[global]
    server min protocol = SMB3_11
    client ipc min protocol = SMB3_11
    force user = nobody
    force group = users

I also have several ZFS shares there but the camera storage relating to this error is on the unraid array, on a normal share set up via unraid gui. The share is fine in windows explorer on the same PC. It all worked fine on Unraid 6.10.3.

Happy to provide further info if it might help

• Like 1

Having the same problem also.

This is my samba config:

[Global]
       min protocol = SMB2
       ea support = yes
       fruit:aapl = yes
       fruit:nfs_aces = no
       fruit:zero_file_id = yes