• Some pop-up windows do not work on Safari

Cilusse
    • Annoyance

Hi everyone,

I noticed that some pop-up windows opened from Unraid do not display properly on Safari.

You can see in the video, in order to reproduce:

- Open the Unraid dashboard

- Open a Docker console, a VM VNC session or a VM log

- Doesn't load.

Interestingly, the pop-up for Terminal and Docker log are loaded correctly.

Safari is set up:

- To allow pop-ups

- Not block cross-site tracking

- Not block Unraid's cookies

- Not filter ads and content on Unraid's domain

- To allow JavaScript

The same things work fine on Firefox on the same machine.

Is it just a setting, (something in experimental features?) a full-on bug or simply a Safari-related limitation?

Open to suggestions!

Thank you.

Other info:

- Video

- Safari 13.1.2

- Unraid 6.8.3

(Sorry about the buggy attached media, I don't know what happened)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I had this problem and the only way I found to fix it was setting a blank password for root in the users tab. If there's a better way I'd like to know.

13 hours ago, CS01-HS said:

blank password for root

This is a joke, isn't it? Are you really did this? You better don't!

• Like 1
    11 minutes ago, bastl said:

This is a joke, isn't it? Are you really did this? You better don't!

No but only to test which is why I'd like a permanent solution.

Is there a fix?

(I use Safari on MacOS like the original poster)

I watched your video again and noticed you can access docker logs but not docker consoles. I can access docker consoles but docker logs give a login prompt. Strange!

Can anyone point me in a direction to debug the php? I wonder if I can track the problem down.

I do see this ambiguous error in my log file when nginx is restarted

root: Error: Nothing to do

I use macOS too. I gave up on Safari a long time ago. Both Firefox and Chrome work fine. This is not a solution to the problem but I find it a very acceptable work around. The problem is with the browser, not with the HTML. Different browsers render it differently, so the browser has to be detected and the code modified accordingly to achieve consistency across browsers, which is a ridiculous situation.

• Like 1

I know I should probably use another browser, but Safari just works so much better than anything else on my old MacBook.

8 minutes ago, Cilusse said:

Safari just works so much better than anything else on my old MacBook.

Yes, I know, but in this particular case it doesn't! I was reluctant to drop Safari, not least because I had it all set up to remember logins and passwords for various sites. So for a while I ran two browsers, with Safari set as the default, but that just got confusing. In the end I just switched to Firefox, which was a little painful for a few days but I got over it.

EDIT: The developers actively support a number of popular browsers - Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Brave - and also Safari, when it doesn't involve jumping through too many hoops. I think we just have to accept that sometimes the effort involved isn't worth the return, as so few users stand to gain.

Edited by John_M

Big Sur and iOS/iPadOS 14 seem to improve Safari compatibility with Unraid. I'm not sure what has technically changed but I no longer get a login when I open a prompt in the browser.

I’m actually running iOS and iPadOS 14 on two devices and issue still happens. Very odd that you managed to get it working!

17 minutes ago, Cilusse said:

I’m actually running iOS and iPadOS 14 on two devices and issue still happens. Very odd that you managed to get it working!

I don't know, I saw someone else mention that Unraid was working in Apple's betas so I tried it. I don't think I did anything special.

I discovered that if you leave the login popup open (without logging in) then repeat the action that opened it the previously-opened popup will update to show the expected data.

This works in all cases except Web VNC which opens a new window every time.

@Taddeusz I replicated your exact same config and it still doesn't work. Must be something else.

Thank you for your advice!

Edited by Cilusse
    2 minutes ago, CS01-HS said:

I discovered that if you leave the login popup open (without logging in) then repeat the action that opened it the previously-opened popup will update to show the expected data.

This works in all cases except Web VNC which opens a new window every time.

Waw! This is correct!

It works the second time.

This bring even more questions now...

@Cilusse For me VNC Viewer only opens a new tab each time a try to access a VM with a "Failed to connect to server" error. The VM and also the docker logs been shown at the 3rd try not the second time people reporting.