• Start Array greyed out after Stopping

LFTech
    • Closed Annoyance

Since upgrading, if I stop the array to change settings or anything, I am unable to Start the array back up. Screenshot can be found here: https://imgur.com/NiqIRBL.

The red power button in top right corner would allow me to start the array if it were present, but I need to submit another bug report where it disappears randomly.

EDIT 1: Running unRAID OS Plus v. 6.7.2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The start button is disabled because you need to enter a passphrase/keyfile which is needed for encryption

(you have encryption enabled on one or more of your array or cache devices)

Edited by bonienl

Would this passphrase not be required to start the array after a fresh restart or if using the power menu to start the array? I have never entered a passphrase. Admittedly I do not know much about the encryption ability however I would expect the start array option to function the same regardless how it is initiated or when.

I just preformed a fresh restart and although the start was greyed out under array operations, using the red circle button in top right and selecting start array successfully started the array as expected.

Hm, the plugin doesn't take into account encryption state and allows the array to start regardless. Normally this would fail if a passphrase was set and is now missing.

You must have set one or more devices to an encrypted file system and left the passphrase empty (=not set), that is the reason it is asking to enter one.

If you intend to use encryption it is highly recommended to set a passphrase/keyfile. Keep in mind to never loose this, because without it recovery is impossible.

Edit

Seeing johnnie's answer, this is indeed the most likely scenario.

Edited by bonienl

I removed the plugin as it also had issues and doesn't appear to have been updated in awhile. 

I do prefer to have encrypted volumes as I believe thats best practice. I will do some further investigating and update the post. 

So as noted above and expected, entering a new passphrase did resolve the issue and allow me to start the array.

I checked the filesystem of every disk and all my disks are XFS and my cache drive is BTRFS. None of the are *-encrypted. In my disk settings, the default file system is xfs-encrypted however none of my disks are indicating they are xfs-encrypted. Should the encryption key be required just due to the default file system setting?

Looks like I may have to do some maintenance and encrypt my disks. However it does appear this issue is closed.

That's what I mentioned above, if default filesystem is set to encrypted and no disks are you're still going to be asked for the key, just change to a non encrypted one while not using encryption on any disks.

Changing the default file system setting to an encrypted version, it will only apply to newly added devices.

Existing devices in the array are not affected by this setting and manual conversion is required.

I have the same problem, the start array button is greyed out after stopping the array on the "Main - Array Operation" page.
    The "Start array" button on the Dashboard page does work, though.
    All my disks are encrypted, and the keyfile is present. After starting the array from the Dashboard, everything works just fine.
    It's just on the "Main - Array Operation" page that the start array button that is not working, because it is greyed out.

With none of my devices encrypted and the default file system sent to encrypted, would it be required to enter, and re-enter an encryption key every time I want to start the array? Is the encryption key not saved and stored after starting the array?

12 minutes ago, LFTech said:

With none of my devices encrypted and the default file system sent to encrypted, would it be required to enter, and re-enter an encryption key every time I want to start the array? Is the encryption key not saved and stored after starting the array?

For that case you should change the default fs to a non encrypted one.

Okay, cool. Thanks.

Since it appears there is no bug and all the behavior is expected I will close the ticket. Thanks everyone for the input and guidance!

I actually did not try starting from the dashboard, only the array operation page.

It appears that when stopping and starting the array, it can be done from both the Dashboard and Array Operations without entering a key, once a key is entered at bootup. 

After a reboot, the array can be started regardless of encryption key from the dashboard. . On the Array Operation page, the array can only be started after an encryption key is set. 

Reopening report as it appears the behavior is not consistent and is a bug.

I can't start the array from the "Main/Array Operation" page even when the keyfile is present.
    Starting via Dashboard is the only way for me to start the array, as I wrote in my first post.
    Edit: To clarify, I didn't delete the keyfile after the initial starting of the array. It was always present in the /root directory.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, ICDeadPpl said:

I have the same problem, the start array button is greyed out after stopping the array on the "Main - Array Operation" page.
    The "Start array" button on the Dashboard page does work, though.
    All my disks are encrypted, and the keyfile is present. After starting the array from the Dashboard, everything works just fine.
    It's just on the "Main - Array Operation" page that the start array button that is not working, because it is greyed out.

Edited by ICDeadPpl
    On 10/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, ICDeadPpl said:

It is all working fine for me and an encrypted array.

Can you post a screenshot of your Main page

16 hours ago, bonienl said:

It is all working fine for me and an encrypted array.

Can you post a screenshot of your Main page

Here's my Main page with array stopped, with keyfile present.
    The Start array button is greyed out, the only way to start the array is to start it via Dashboard or rebooting.

1972415176_UnraidMainkeyfilepresent.thumb.png.2eadba7e6aa38d7183db99f8d7b9b144.png

The mentioned bug is still valid. The START button disabled state is based on file form input value and not the presence of /root/keyfile (in contrast to Dashboard button).