• Unable to power on device, stuck in D3

jamesmus
    • Closed

Linux guest, either Ubuntu 18.10 or Fedora 30 beta. Doesn't matter if I use i440 or Q35.

I pass my AMD RX580 to a Linux guest and it works great. But if I reboot or shutdown that guest VM then I can't start it again without rebooting the host machine. Sometimes it'll say "Unable to power on device, stuck in D3" in the logs and sometimes I'll get a pop-up about an error "Unknown PCI header type 127".

It's the same error and it's preventing me from purchasing Unraid. I must fix this! Please take my money! It seems to be a well known problem but I don't see it on the front page anywhere.

tower-diagnostics-20190411-1329.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I think this is the infamous AMD reset bug. You need to reboot your entire unraid host to get access to the GPU back. Once your VM is booted, basically don't power it down and reboot time again. It's an AMD issue it seems, in the BIOS of the GPU.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Status Definitions

Open = Under consideration.

Solved = The issue has been resolved.

Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

Retest = Please retest in latest release.

Priority Definitions

Minor = Something not working correctly.

Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Other = Announcement or other non-issue.