• Unraid 6.11.1 Docker Update All infinite loop

NickI
    • Minor

After updating to 6.11.1 i issued an update all through the UI button to update all dockers in my installation. After the process completed all the updates it was supposed to do, it started updating all my dockers one by one.

This is not supposed to happen, the process was stopping the dockers, tried to pull an updated image which was up to date and then started the docker again. 

When the list of dockers ended it started again from the top. To stop it i had to go to the cli and kill the update process manually.

root     27866     1  0 08:18 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/php -q /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/update_container swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma

• Like 1
    • Upvote 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It seems I've just seen something similar although the loop wasn't infinite, it went over everything maybe 2-3 times and ended. I'm still on 6.11.0. 

No filesystem errors here. @nickl have you been doing updates from the Apps page? There is a bit of an issue with that at the moment, where it downloads new images but doesn't actually update the containers - when you then do an "Update all" on the Docker page it will then go through everything again, download nothing since it's already there but then updating the containers correctly.

Tested this on two different systems, no issues.

Please provide diagnostics, it looks like something specific to your setup / system.

In addition make a test in safe mode to ensure it is not caused by a plugin.

Also encountered this problem, but only once: the "Update All" button updated all the containers, then went on an infinite loop of updating where it would try and pull an updated image (and pull nothing because the image was already up to date), stop and destroy the container, then create a new container. Refreshing the page seemed to kill the update loop, although I'm not sure if the updating process ever did stop. IIRC 6.11.x has a change where update processes continue to run in the background even if the user navigates away from the page, right?

Anyways, I only encountered the bug once and subsequent "update all" clicks worked as expected. Hate that it's sporadic and there's no clear trigger for the bug.

EDIT: I encountered this bug once on 6.11.0. After updating to 6.11.1 it happened again when I initially updated all of the outdated Docker images. Refreshing stopped the loop (I think).

Edited by ericswpark

Hello, no issues with fs here, and the update was issued on the dockers page not from the app store.

To be honest i did not try that again and waited to receive a reply from the report.

So i tried this now, with 3 containers needing an update, but the problem did not occur again.

Apologies not keeping some screenshots or not getting a diagnostic in time to help digging in this further. 

Edited by NickI

I am experiencing a similar issue in that using the "Update All" button on the Docker page results in unusual behavior.

If an update is available to a container, the "Update All" button lights up after checking for updates.  I click the button, the container is updated as normal, I click the "Done" button and then the "Update All" button stays lit up.  If I click the button again the container is just destroyed and recreated without download a new image (as the image was already updated).  I need to click the Docker tab to get the page to reload and then the "Update All" button is greyed out again.  

It's almost as if after the update is processed it is not being sent back to the UI that it was successful and just will continue to think an update is available.

I've attached diagnostics after I just did an update for Sonarr tonight.

saturn-diagnostics-20221011-2050.zip

I have the same issue. The "UPDATE ALL" button is doing weird things sometimes, like:

After hitting the "CHECK FOR UPDATES", wait to check finalize, then hit "UPDATE ALL" and it starts updating random dockers that doesn't have new images in between the ones that actually have an update.

This things are happening since update to 6.11.0 are persist at 6.11.1

Hello Everyone,

i had the same issue today. After the UPDATE ALL button procedure updated all dockers contained updated images, it started from the beginning all over again. It tries to pull the image again, it finds that its already up to date, stops the container and starts it back up. If you click outside the update window, the process enters into background, and then you can abort it by clicking on the icon on the background process notification.

1891469776_Screenshot-nas-unraidDocker-2022-11-16at09_41_25.png.de0a4482a253c362eb55d524ae3bff85.png

On 11/16/2022 at 7:46 AM, NickI said:

Hello Everyone,

i had the same issue today. After the UPDATE ALL button procedure updated all dockers contained updated images, it started from the beginning all over again. It tries to pull the image again, it finds that its already up to date, stops the container and starts it back up. If you click outside the update window, the process enters into background, and then you can abort it by clicking on the icon on the background process notification.

1891469776_Screenshot-nas-unraidDocker-2022-11-16at09_41_25.png.de0a4482a253c362eb55d524ae3bff85.png

Similiar issue here. 16.11.3

Edited by SpuddyUK

I'm having the same/sim issue.(6.11.4) I'll click the check for update button it starts checking for updates spins almost indef. I'll refresh and it say some images have updates. if I check update all it will run the update procress pulling image 0b downloaded redo the process couple times, then say finished. the update available still show and will not go away. I've removed app and reinstalled them. ran the scrub. but I can't seem to figure out whats going on. 

Edited by Monger
    update

I've had it happen again, it seems for me it might be doing this only the first time clicking the "update all" button after a reboot.

For me, on 6.11.4, it loops twice. So first time it updates the images and then restarts them, second time it downloads nothing as it already has the latest images but still restarts them.

Just had this occur to myself as well. Same symptoms as others have reported. Endless "Updating all Containers" loop.

* Just upgraded to 6.11.5 this morning, no issues with upgrade

* My docker install I have set to use directories, not a single docker img

* Wen to Docker, clicked [check for updates], 6 containers with updatse

* clicked [update all], update window/log appears

* Initially pulled data for updates to containers, successfully restarted them, then went into a loop starting at the first container again and attempting to pull an update, found no changes, but continued to restart container, then move onto the next one.

Diagnostics attached. Diagnostics were created from another tab while the system was still looping on trying to update the containers.

I also saw that there was a container that wasn't updated (unfortunately don't know if it was part of the 6 that had updates earlier as I didn't catch it fast enough). Clicked "apply update" next to that container specifically and it only updated that one container, then showed [done] button.

media-1-diagnostics-20221122-1213.zip

• Like 1

I am also experiencing this exact same issue. It started sometime on the 6.11.x branch, I think at .3. I just upgraded to 6.11.5, rebooted, did the check for updates, waited, then clicked update all. It does the same thing as above, goes through and successfully updates all of the dockers with updates, then instead of saying "done", wraps around and begins again. It'll keep doing this until I refresh the page.

tower-diagnostics-20221124-2232.zip

• Like 1

Just want to add that I had the same problem today... refreshing the page made the process run in background, I don't know how many loop it did, but it was more than 4.

What I did when this happen, is updating 5-6 dockers by hand... and then did the "update all". I noticed it did update the docker already updated... then updated all the others dockers... then started again in loop.

I see the same loop behavior when updating certain dockers.  I started seeing it on 6.11.3 and currently on 6.11.5.  On my system it only seems to happen on docker containers with network connections through another docker container.  Docker containers with their own IP address/network connection update fine.  Refreshing the browser stops the loop.    

Same Here with 6.11.5, and I don't know how to abort this loop. I rebooted the system, but the "update all" button is still disabled.

7 hours ago, bowencool said:

Same Here with 6.11.5, and I don't know how to abort this loop. I rebooted the system, but the "update all" button is still disabled.

this is probably due to the fact that you need to check first for updates and then the button is enabled.

• Thanks 1
    • Upvote 1

6.11.5, can confirm same problem. It doesn't always happen, but it is quite frequent.
    From what I've noticed, it seems like it may possibly be more likely to happen the more docker images require updates. I've gotten it to happen nearly every time when I have 6+ images pending updates. Could just be coincidence, I need to test more.