• Unraid 6.11.1 Docker Update All infinite loop

NickI
    • Minor

After updating to 6.11.1 i issued an update all through the UI button to update all dockers in my installation. After the process completed all the updates it was supposed to do, it started updating all my dockers one by one.

This is not supposed to happen, the process was stopping the dockers, tried to pull an updated image which was up to date and then started the docker again. 

When the list of dockers ended it started again from the top. To stop it i had to go to the cli and kill the update process manually.

root     27866     1  0 08:18 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/php -q /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/update_container swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma*swag*adguardhome*Agent-DVR*redis*unifi-controller*Metabase*code-server*nextcloud*binhex-delugevpn*sonarr*nzbhydra2*jackett*overseerr*netdata*uptime-kuma

• Like 1
    • Upvote 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Perhaps there is corruption in your docker image.

Can you delete the docker image and recreate.

Use CA restore function to re-install all your containers and start fresh.

Following this thread. I've been experiencing this for a few weeks now as well. I recreated my docker image about 4 ish months ago, not that it isn't corrupt, but I'm not thinking that is the issue. I do have the docker patch, but I don't recall if I installed that patch before or after I started seeing this issue. It does eventually end, after 4 to 6 loops.

Edited by UncleStu

Just chiming in same issue with update all button. It used to just occasionally do one of the images again, one time, and then stop, but the most recent time it went through all the images that had been updated maybe 3 or 4 times before stopping. No errors in Docker filesystem with scrub.

• Like 1

Updated from 6.9.2 to 6.11.5 recently and experiencing the same issue.  Running update all with the containers showing an update causes it to loop through updating each container several times until is just decides it's finished.

While technically not causing a problem, just an annoyance that I hope gets resolved.

Had it happen again today.

It might be linked to having a docker image used by multiple containers since one of those was updated today. New image downloaded, first container removed and recreated, removing old image gives "in use by other containers", 2nd container removed and recreated, NO message about removing the old image, and then I got a 2nd loop. The old image was never removed even after it.

• Upvote 1

Just happened to me as well on 6.11.5. Most of my containers needed an update. Clicked Update All and followed its progress. When it got to the last one and started back at the top again trying to update all containers. There were no new updates, so I just found nothing new to download and restarted each and every container. Stopped on its own after pass 2.

This Update All dockers is also looping for me as well on 6.11.5. It removed some of my dockers on the second pass. I stopped it by stopping the array.

I am also having this docker update loop issue.  I have had it since 6.11 as I am on RC6.12.6 now and today it looped 5 times before stopping.  I have re done my docker image and scrubbed with no errors as well.

I can tell you that I also seem to have periods where I get an execution error when starting up a container, of which I had just before I updated.  Also related to docker, it will go in and out of with the health status for which I have not figured out yet.  Dozzle will show me when certain containers are not healthy and usually I stop my plex container and this resolves the issue.

Don't know if this is all related or not.

cdmserver03-diagnostics-20230527-0839.zip

Edited by eyarea51

My speculation is that this looping happens when the list of containers too be updated is not current. I have been able to induce a loop by NOT rechecking for updates, updating one of the containers that had an update available from the automatic check, then clicking update all. It tries to pull updates for all the containers that were listed before I updated the single container, but it still includes the container I just manually updated, pulls zero bytes, and starts looping.

If that is the case, you can work around the issue by first checking for updates, then hitting update all. That way you should be guaranteed to have the latest list.

I was/am having this issue too. Here's what's causing the issue for me as far as I can tell:

I have gluetun setup to provide vpn to several docker containers. When I was setting it up, whatever I was reading advised me that containers that rely on other containers (ie deluge relies on gluetun being started to run it will do absolutely nothing if gluetun isn't started, since I always want vpn on that container) have issues post-updates. Someone recommended a CA docker app called "Rebuild-DNDC" which, I'm not an expert, but I believe does what the name says... stops the container it's tied to (gluetun) and does some sort of rebuild. All I know is it works.

The problem is, it seems, that when you run a mass auto update of all docker apps, something in the unraid docker gets locked into a repeated loop. Sometimes 3 times, sometimes it appears like infinite loop.

The solution for me, reliably, has been:

-to let all the apps update

-Refresh the browser (so the update window disappears).

-Click start on the Rebuild-DNDC container. You'll get an error like "container doesn't exist." It seems like unraid, when you manually try to run the Rebuild app, kills the infinite update loop, deletes the container, rebuilds the container

-and then everything begins running as it should again.

Possible fix I will try in the future: disabling autorun on Rebuild-DNDC and see if that fixes the looping.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi Everyone!

i've just decided to move on to 6.12.0 rc6 to start catching up with all the latest developments of Unraid, and i had a nice surprise i wanted to share. When the update completed i navigated to the docker tab and checked all my dockers for updates. I had 4 to update so i tested again the update all button and all worked as they should, no loops 🎉 

2 hours ago, NickI said:

Hi Everyone!

i've just decided to move on to 6.12.0 rc6 to start catching up with all the latest developments of Unraid, and i had a nice surprise i wanted to share. When the update completed i navigated to the docker tab and checked all my dockers for updates. I had 4 to update so i tested again the update all button and all worked as they should, no loops 🎉 

One try doesn't say much since it only happens occasionally.

Edited by Kilrah
    30 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

One try doesn't say much since it only happens occasionally.

i think in my case, this happened (almost) every time i tried the update button. So thats a good step forward for me. Did you try this with the 6.12.0 rc6 version?

Edited by NickI

Yeah and haven't seen it, but as mentioned in my case on 6.11 I'd only get it once every few weeks anyway (I update daily) so it doesn't mean much.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:37 AM, bonienl said:

Perhaps there is corruption in your docker image.

Can you delete the docker image and recreate.

Use CA restore function to re-install all your containers and start fresh.

Did this, made no difference.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:13 AM, JonathanM said:

If that is the case, you can work around the issue by first checking for updates, then hitting update all. That way you should be guaranteed to have the latest list.

I always check for updates prior to running an update all.

Just had another loop of 2 with the full update and then a cycle of restart.

Just to mention, in case it's related - anyone else with this issue running the Docker Folder plugin? Only bring this up because I have to refresh my page after the updates to have them show as up to date.

Just wanted to post an update here, I was also having this issue on 6.11 and just updated to 6.12.1 and was hoping this was one of the fixes, I had about 10 containers to update and using the update all function, I had the loop occur, only 2 loops and then it stopped but it still seems to be an ongoing issue. There seems to be numerous threads about this but haven't seen any unraid staff in any of them, anyway to make this more known as an issue? @Squid

• Like 1
    Just now, TheOgre said:

6.12.1 still experiencing this issue but it only seems to loop twice for me thankfully, still buggy though

Really? Sorry to hear that. Ever since i got to the 6.12.x i never got the loop again. I wonder why i am seeing a different behavior now...

On 5/27/2023 at 8:41 AM, eyarea51 said:

I am also having this docker update loop issue.  I have had it since 6.11 as I am on RC6.12.6 now and today it looped 5 times before stopping.  I have re done my docker image and scrubbed with no errors as well.

I can tell you that I also seem to have periods where I get an execution error when starting up a container, of which I had just before I updated.  Also related to docker, it will go in and out of with the health status for which I have not figured out yet.  Dozzle will show me when certain containers are not healthy and usually I stop my plex container and this resolves the issue.

Don't know if this is all related or not.

cdmserver03-diagnostics-20230527-0839.zip

An update to the loop issue for me . . . . 

Once I stopped the Plex Container (from hotio) and left it off I stopped getting the loop issue and the other issue of not starting containers also went away.

On 7/5/2023 at 7:09 AM, eyarea51 said:

An update to the loop issue for me . . . . 

Once I stopped the Plex Container (from hotio) and left it off I stopped getting the loop issue and the other issue of not starting containers also went away.

I just experienced this on 6.12.3 and stopping Plex container did indeed allow the infinite loop to stop.  Mine is the linuxserver version of Plex container.  This makes no sense to me, but thank you for the pointer.