• Unraid-Server login[3651]: ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/8'

NewDisplayName
    • 6.7.0-rc1 Retest Minor
    Message added by limetech

Please be aware that these comments were copied here from another source and that the date and time shown for each comment may not be accurate.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I thought it was fixed, but IIRC there was an issue where you could only hit terminal so many times and then that message would begin to pop up.   Reboot is the solution.

Just tried it and it works properly.  Once you hit 8 windows open at a time (including any from docker containers) you hit that.  Closing windows and it'll let you back in.

Definitely some funny business going on with terminal windows.  First of all "8" comes from the default "legacy pty count" we configured in the linux kernel.  This can be changed via a kernel command line option, for example to set to 20:

pty.legacy_count=20

Next, the opening/closing of windows seems to be stack-like.  That is suppose you open 8 windows: 1..8.  If you try to open next window it will fail with login not accepted.  If you then close 8, you can open it again - makes sense.  But if you close any/all windows besides number 8, it still won't let you open another window until number 8 is closed.  At this point, you can now open as many windows from 8 down until you hit an open window again.  So yeah, we'll look into this.

Is the this the behavior you're seeing?  BTW doesn't seem to make a difference how window is closed (either by typing 'exit' for by clicking 'X').

Not really i didnt had any window open, besides that window what showed after some "lag" "cant login" or something.

If i open terminal, i open it, when im finished i close it... server had some uptime, so i guess it could be that it didnt registered that i close the windows long time ago...?

Its happening again... serve rhas uptime of 1 1/2 day... i use the terminal every day, but i close it after im finished, i dont get it.

You need diagnostic again?

9 hours ago, nuhll said:

Its happening again... serve rhas uptime of 1 1/2 day... i use the terminal every day, but i close it after im finished, i dont get it.

You need diagnostic again?

Are you using the Unraid terminal (via Terminal button on menu bar) or the Console drop-down selection of a running Docker container, or both?

Can you come up with a sequence of opening/closing that reliably demonstrates this, similar to what I came up with?

99% im using the terminal button in unraid. Sometime the Docker console. But since i restartet i never used the console of the container.

What u mean?

I should restart and then open and close terminals ervival times and then give diagnosis?

This just happened to me yesterday.  Opened a terminal session, got an "incorrect login" message and it closed.

Earlier, I had opened and closed a couple of terminal sessions, but, no other terminal sessions were open when I received the error.  After that, terminal could not be opened and even attempting to open an SSH session via PuTTY resulted in the same error.

As mentioned, I figured a reboot would clear it, so, today I attempted to shut down the server through the GUI.  It took almost 10 minutes before the shutdown even started.  I thought I was going to have to run shutdown from the console as again, I could not even login through PuTTY - incorrect login.  However 10 minutes later, I noticed on the console that the shutdown was starting  Once it started, it took five minutes to complete the process (hung for a very long time on stopping emhttp) and I noticed that it saved diagnostics to the flash drive during shutdown.

After the reboot, everything is fine again.  Until I hit the terminal bug yesterday, 6.6.6 had been running for me without issue since I upgraded the day it was released.

Attached are the diagnostics saved to my flash drive during shutdown in case they are useful.

Not a showstopper by any means.  I just thought I would add one more data point to the bug report.

medianas-diagnostics-20190106-1310.zip

I think its a big problem if you cant reach your server via ssh. I mean, if the serve rwould have online for 3000 days and this problem pops up, okay.

But after 3 days uptime, or 7 days??? (dont know how long ur server was on?)

2 hours ago, nuhll said:

But after 3 days uptime, or 7 days??? (dont know how long ur server was on?)

It has been running since 6.6.6 was released on December 3, so, about 33 days.

It's the first and only time it has happened.  I will definitely keep an eye on it and try to reproduce.  I generally have reason to open a terminal window every day and it has never failed until a couple of days ago.

Edited by Hoopster
    On 1/7/2019 at 8:30 AM, nuhll said:

I also dont do it every day, but recently i needed to do it more then normal

Referring to opening terminal windows right (I hope)?  ;)

1 hour ago, limetech said:

Referring to opening terminal windows right (I hope)?  ;)

haha lol. yes.

What i also use is user script to run differnt scripts every 5 minutes or every day. Maybe thats part of the problem?

Can you fix this problem?

Edited by nuhll

Not that i know.

Its a rclone upload script, some curl scripts, some mounting script for mountfs, script which clears my archives, move scripts and a fancontrol script.

Did you changed that behaivior in the newest RCs? Bc i get that hard lock, i cant test atm.

Its really annyoing to restart server just because u cant open terminal. (its just much cooler then open a ssh session for htop view)

Edited by nuhll
    15 hours ago, nuhll said:

Did you changed that behaivior in the newest RCs?

Yes, that's why it's marked Retest.  I think it's solved but didn't test terminal windows being opened by a script.

31 minutes ago, limetech said:

Yes, that's why it's marked Retest.  I think it's solved but didn't test terminal windows being opened by a script.

The problem still occurs on my 6.6.6 main server (expected) but, I have no idea how to reproduce it or force it to happen.  It just happens (3 times now) 'randomly.'

My test/backup server running 6.7.0 rc2 is not used enough that I could test for a resolution there when updated to rc3 as it takes several days after a reboot and opening many terminal windows before I see the problem.  No scripts for opening terminal windows on either server.

Every time the problem occurs, it also prevents opening an SSH/PuTTY session.

I'll likely update main server to 6.7.0 rc3 and will retest.