• Unraid slow VM boot times

thenonsense
    • 6.7.0-rc1 Closed Minor
    Message added by limetech

Please be aware that these comments were copied here from another source and that the date and time shown for each comment may not be accurate.

Retrofit from bug reports sent via unraid web UI:

Bug Description:

Unraid VMs are slow to boot, and while they are typically normal after boot, a few times they are lagging during use.  Core usage is limited to a single core during boot, and the core is maxed @ 100%.

These slow boots can take upwards of minutes, as opposed to normal boots of <10s.

This issue did not exist on 6.5.3 and exists on every build 6.6.0rc1 and onwards.

This issue appears to be limited to Threadripper chips?

The issue manifests itself about 75% of boot sequences.  25% of the time the system may boot normally.

How to reproduce:

Obtain a Threadripper build (possibly more than 8 cores are needed).

Update unraid to 6.5.3.

Boot into any VM.  Most recommended is a Windows VM.  Repeat this process multiple times.  Note boot appears to be similar in performance to bare metal.

Update unraid to >=6.6.0rc1

Boot into the same VM multiple times.  Note for the majority of boots, the spinning circle lags heavily.  CPU usage hangs @ 100% on 1 core.

Please keep me posted if there is any testing I can do.  I'm looking into how to compile unraid, but I believe I'm not incorporating all needed packages, and I can't seem to find any newer documentation on the process.  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I begrudgingly admit that after some testing (remember this was randomly occurring, at a rate of about 75%) I was no longer able to replicate the issue, so it looks like it was hardware related.  Not sure why the issue occurred in 6.6, but did not occur when downgrading back to 6.5.3, still I did notice on the dead motherboard some LITERAL burns.  I'll bump to 6.7.0-rc2 and also verify full functionality, but for the sake of stable releases, it looks like we're good.

Thanks guys.  I've been bested.  I can now chalk another weird bug up to hw-failure.

In other news, anyone want to help office-space an x399 board in SoCal?

Edited by thenonsense
    IT was on the second page lol