• Unstable system after upgrading to 6.9 from 6.8.3

Tequila&Lime
    • Closed

I ran 6.8.3 with never any problem for over a year.

After the upgrade to 6.9.0 that went very smoothly it ran for at least a day without issues.

For the past two nights the system was online but sometime overnight when I come back in the morning I return to a system that is either "powered off" (no sound or anything) or the screen become black, no reaction on keyboard presses and can ping but no responses on the network by http, telnet or ssh 

I left a monitor, USB keyboard and mouse plugged to the server but this morning it appeared to be off again.

statement:

1) its plugged into a UPS for reliable power.

2) no other unit in the house has had any power related event for the entire week.

3) unit boots after I push the power button.

4) manually set static IP responds to ping but not to http, ssh or telnet.

5) only way to restore it is to hard power the unit off and cold boot it.

system info: 

DELL PRECISION T5600

BIOS: A19 (latest release - Aug 2019)

CPU: Dual xeon

RAM: 112 GB

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P2000

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Please click on the the Log icon on right side of webGUI menu bar.  This will open a window with the system log 'tailed' - meaning as messages are generated they will appear in that window.  If server crashes click in the window and select/copy/paste the contents here.

Another way to monitor the log is to open a Terminal window and type this command:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

6 hours ago, limetech said:

Please click on the the Log icon on right side of webGUI menu bar.  This will open a window with the system log 'tailed' - meaning as messages are generated they will appear in that window.  If server crashes click in the window and select/copy/paste the contents here.

Another way to monitor the log is to open a Terminal window and type this command:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

I got the same issue, after running the server for less than an hour , it turns off or suspend and when I hit the start button it starts but nothing running. I had to cold restart.

here is what happen in the log:

Mar  6 04:37:26 Tower kernel: PM: suspend entry (deep)
    Mar  6 04:37:26 Tower kernel: Filesystems sync: 0.000 seconds

I have Dynamix S3 Sleep plugin left enabled (but never worked before as intended on 6.83).. So I disable it now and will see if it has anything to do with the issue 

5 hours ago, hamad said:

So I disable it now and will see if it has anything to do with the issue 

Likely yes, there have been other users with similar issues with that plugin and v6.9.

6 hours ago, hamad said:

I have Dynamix S3 Sleep plugin left enabled (but never worked before as intended on 6.83).. So I disable it now and will see if it has anything to do with the issue 

Yup.. it was the culprit.. system still running without an issue after disabling that plugin.

• Like 1