• Users write shows 0 on dashboard while it is writing to unraid

danull
    • Solved Annoyance

I am copying many folders containing many files from a Synology NAS to my new Unraid NAS on 6.7.2 using Windows File Explorer via a Windows 10 box in between (I'm well aware of alternative methods to copy including mounting remotely within Synology...I  just went with this).   This copy process has been ongoing for many hours.   I am not using cache drives on Unraid.

On the Unraid dashboard page under "Users", the user my Windows 10 box is connected to the Unraid box has the Write and Read column both say 0.   I'd think the Write should say 1, otherwise when would it ever say Write?    On this same Unraid Dashboard under "Shares" it does show Streams=1 for the two Shares I am currently populating via these copies.  

So the bug I'm reporting is the "Users" showing a 0 write and 0 read during this copy process.   I have attached diagnostics, although I'm not sure they will be useful for a case like this.

Thank you,

-danull

edit: in the image attached it is boozer which is the Windows 10 box doing the copy to Unraid - shows zero as you can see.   Also I do have a parity check going thanks to a crash that ultimately led me to update my bios.   I will report back if it changes in any way after parity check completes.

borracho-diagnostics-20191002-1623.zip

example dashboard.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Someone better can speak to this, but have you looked at what your refresh polling delay is set for the UI? There's a setting somewhere that impacts how frequently it polls for drive temperature and status. Maybe that impacts this as well?

7 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Someone better can speak to this, but have you looked at what your refresh polling delay is set for the UI? There's a setting somewhere that impacts how frequently it polls for drive temperature and status. Maybe that impacts this as well?

This has shown 0 for the last few hours I've been watching it with the copy / write to unraid via the Windows boozer ID running continuously for over 24 hours now as I populate this new Unraid box.  If there is a "setting somewhere" for refresh polling delay, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this display is either broken or the polling frequency is totally unusable at whatever default it is set to ;-)

Edited by danull
    • Haha 1

Some more info on what I was thinking of:

Settings / Disk Settings / Tunable (poll_attributes):

This defines the disk SMART polling interval, in seconds. A value of 0 disables SMART polling (not recommended).

2 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Some more info on what I was thinking of:

Settings / Disk Settings / Tunable (poll_attributes):

This defines the disk SMART polling interval, in seconds. A value of 0 disables SMART polling (not recommended).

ahhh, gotcha.   I ain't messed with anything like that - still 1800 (default).

I dont think Read or Write at that level is what you or I thought it was. I think those columns are how many Shares the user is explicitly in the Read or Write list of. 

Here is the code behind it:

foreach ($users as $user) {

$name = $user['name'];

$list = "<a href=\"$path/UserEdit?name=".urlencode($name)."\" class=\"blue-text\" title=\"$name settings\">".truncate($name,20)."</a>";

$desc = truncate($user['desc'],40);

if ($list=='root') {

$write = '-'; $read = '-';

} else {

$write = 0; $read = 0;

foreach ($shares as $share) {

if (strpos($sec[$share['name']]['writeList'],$list)!==false) $write++;

if (strpos($sec[$share['name']]['readList'],$list)!==false) $read++;

}

}

if ($user['passwd']!='yes') $list = str_replace('blue-text','orange-text',$list);

echo "<tr><td></td><td><i class='icon-user'></i>$list</td><td>$desc</td><td>$write</td><td>$read</td><td></td></tr>";

}

https://github.com/limetech/webgui/blob/master/plugins/dynamix/DashStats.page

"download" and "tv" are the two shares I'm currently writing to, both are set to security Private and boozer (the windows 10 user) is set to read/write on each of them...would think that counts as explicitly defined to those shares as capable of writing to them... (unless I misunderstood your prior post).

The read and write numbers under User indicate how many shares the user has read and/or write access to.

It is not related to any active writing to a share by this user.

Edited by bonienl
    • Thanks 1
    2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The read and write numbers under User indicate to how many shares the user has read and/or write access.

It is not related to any active writing to a share by this user.

Interesting.   But boozer has read/write access to TV and multiple other shares, yet says zero. 

Here is an example where he has read/write access to tv - so why does it show 0 and 0 on dashboard?

boozer access read write to TV.png

Just now, bonienl said:

Hmm, that looks like a bug... need to check

Cool, thanks for looking (and to BRiT for nudging in right direction).

A friend of mine has an Unraid server and I just looked at his ....it looks same as mine where all users say 0 read 0 write on dashboard regardless of whether they have read/write access to shares set to "Private".   He doesn't have parity check going as I do.  He is using 6.7.2 too.  I can provide screenshots of his if interested.

Not that it may mean anything or not,  but your screenshot shows you doing this during a parity calculation,  and you have over 200 errors.  Just wanted to mention...✌️

1 minute ago, cybrnook said:

Not that it may mean anything or not,  but your screenshot shows you doing this during a parity calculation,  and you have over 200 errors.  Just wanted to mention...✌️

Yep, caused by a couple unfortunate crashes due to downlevel bios I since fixed.   So I think those corrected errors are expected.   As stated my friend is seeing this same issue with no parity check ongoing.   Is everybody else seeing something other than zeros here?

I've been following this thread, and recently upgraded to RC4 (new unraid server). I found that the write values are being displayed properly, but it appears the read is still off. Here's the dashboard pic:2019-10-26.png

and the share parms from the new user edit interface:

2019-10-26.png