• VM completely broken?!

PyCoder
    • Annoyance

Since 6.10 I have the issue that:

1) VM Manager doesn't show any path in the drop-down 

vm-manager.thumb.png.6441952176607c0b077fabaf01521288.png

2)  Libvirt Service failed to start. doesn't start after a manual stop/start

image.thumb.png.130ec8b2047a56bd5fbb497f26bcf02a.png

3) Drop-down doesn't show any path or ISO file when creating or editing a VM and is off center!

image.thumb.png.0fb4b1f4a3a4721064ce8e456242ed15.png

image.thumb.png.772675d97f8bd9e6b4df10e174a2c5bc.png

4) Storage path invalid

image.thumb.png.2dcbafbd5392f23cc0d981559d6c78fc.png

image.png.0c41b9cf2f6089a806dad9955457e629.png

This path since I bought Unraid so 6.7 till 6.9.x and now its broken.

deadpool-diagnostics-20220625-1620.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Jun 25 14:29:53 Deadpool zed[8747]: zed_udev_monitor: skip /dev/loop2 (in use by btrfs)
    Jun 25 14:29:53 Deadpool kernel: BTRFS info (device loop2): enabling ssd optimizations
    Jun 25 14:29:53 Deadpool root: Resize device id 1 (/dev/loop2) from 1.00GiB to max
    Jun 25 14:29:53 Deadpool zed[8747]: zed_udev_monitor: skip /dev/loop2 (in use by btrfs)

Try rebooting

7 minutes ago, Squid said:
    Jun 25 14:29:53 Deadpool kernel: BTRFS info (device loop2): enabling ssd optimizations
    Jun 25 14:29:53 Deadpool root: Resize device id 1 (/dev/loop2) from 1.00GiB to max

Try rebooting

Yeah reboot works but as soon as I stop and start VM manually I have the same issue and I can reboot again.  So that's not a solution. It worked before 6.10.x

Also all the paths are broken and offset and they worked before 6.10.x

Offset - Visual thing only, and a bug report already posted about it.

Paths - You're bypassing the system and using ZFS to store all of your files, and the GUI doesn't take that into consideration, so you have to type everything in -> by design

The mounting issue -> Personally, I'd disable the VMs from running and then try moving the libvirt image onto the array and point it at that and see what happens.  (ZFS has issues mounting libvirt volumes as btrfs).  If that's not an option, then your best bet is to ask in the ZFS thread, as this isn't particularly an OS issue.

53 minutes ago, Squid said:

Offset - Visual thing only, and a bug report already posted about it.

Paths - You're bypassing the system and using ZFS to store all of your files, and the GUI doesn't take that into consideration, so you have to type everything in -> by design

I can't download the virt-win ISO anymore because the path doesn't exist according to the UI and as shown in the console output the path exists and has the right permission. 

Check the screenshot (4. Storage path invalid).

I had non of these issues before 6.10.

EDIT:

Ok, apparently since 6.10 the user is FORCED to use a folder in /mnt?!

When I bind (mount -o bind) the folder /deadpool/VM to /mnt/user/VM its working.

That's just nonsense.

Edited by PyCoder

You're still bypassing the system.  The appropriate place to mount any additional volumes would be within /mnt/disks.  The GUI has controls within it to prevent users from installing a VM to RAM etc.

And, as the OS evolves and the developers notice errors that they never thought of that users make, controls will be put into place to prevent that from happening.

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

You're still bypassing the system.  The appropriate place to mount any additional volumes would be within /mnt/disks.  The GUI has controls within it to prevent users from installing a VM to RAM etc.

And, as the OS evolves and the developers notice errors that they never thought of that users make, controls will be put into place to prevent that from happening.

Yeah, I just saw it, see the edit.

But it's nonsense when everything works outside /mnt (e.g. Docker) but VM isn't working anymore since 6.10.

Ty. Anyway, I guess it's time to switch the system.

Example:

Working in Docker and anywhere else. 

image.thumb.png.dc81414f8000f5cbd1d03a7ef3cd5e54.png

Edited by PyCoder

If you want the file browser to be able to bypass /mnt, then it winds up being a feature request.

Similarly with the libvirt.img file being able to be stored as a directory instead of as an image.  You're already using the docker as a folder because zfs won't mount it correctly as a btrfs image.

If because of the limitations imposed by 6.10 (aka security over convenience), the downgrade until such time as ZFS is incorporated into the system.

I changed the mountpoint to /mnt/deadpool and change all the settings from /deadpool to /mnt/deadpool.

How do I downgrade to 6.9? I can only see a rollback to 6.10.2.

Ty btw.