• VM restart causes Nvidia code 43

ks2016
    • Solved Annoyance

After each restart of the Windows 10 VM, the Nvidia VGA drivers are marked with error code 43.

Please note that this is only after restart.

If I shut down, then start the VM all seems to be fine.

This makes me think that the VGA on restart is in some inconsistent state causing the error code 43.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Sorry but you should not mark anything "urgent" when it isn't a severe issue causing a server crash or data loss. And you MUST supply more information.

- describe the steps how to reproduce the issue

- include diagnostics information

- include your XML information (did you make customizations?)

- add other relevant information, such as motherboard type, videocard type which can help identifying the issue

Please try to restart your VM from the command line inside the VM and check if the Nvidia driver comes up without code 43. 

shutdown /r /f /t 0

Appologies for marking it urgent.

I found a thread that describes the issue which goes on for more than a year. The original thread doesn't mention anything about restart though. My intention was that someone would read it and maybe connect it with the other one.

As for the VM config, this is new install.

No customizations at all.

Start with VNC VM and install OS.

Install all virtio drivers and guest.

The switch to passthrough.

Install Nvidia drivers.

Reboot ... the driver reports code 43.

Turn off and start ... all works fine.

I am unable to upload the diagnostics data at the moment. Will do it by the end of day.

To be clear, you only get the code 43 if you restart the VM and as soon as the VM is powered down and you start it from that state, the Nvidia driver loads fine without the error??? I never saw someone reported that behaviour. 

No.

Maybe you can check the diagnostics data from one of my other bug reports? :)

The one related to stubbed vga has one attached.

Stupid question, but do you have a monitor connected to the GPU you passing through or do you manage it after the VNC install via RDP or other remote software?

Edit:

I'am asking cause i had some weird behaviour of one of my Win10 VMs in the past where if i start the VM with a 1050ti passed through without a monitor connected it brings the code 43 error. With monitor on startup this won't happen. I now have my main VM with a 1080ti connected via displayport to my monitor and the second VM with the 1050ti via HDMI to the same monitor. This works now even if the monitor is set to DP, the 1050ti notice that a HDMI display is connected and starts fine. 

Edited by bastl

Link to the other tread that has no solution:

Also, I am attaching 3 screenshots of the VM:

After turn-off-on, then restart, then another turn-off-on.

Server is not restarted between VM restarts/turn-off-on.

Also, I have missed it, but it might not be only VGA issue.

Seems there is issues with the other devices as well.

TurnOffOn.png

AfterRestart.png

SubsequentTurnOffOn.png

Edited by ks2016
    Put the images in proper order
    33 minutes ago, ks2016 said:

Link to the other tread that has no solution:

The initial post in this thread is from January 2016. Between then and now many changes and updates have been done in Unraid (and Windows too). Its relevance is low eventhough the same error code appears.

Better focus on the current situation. Which version of virtio drivers are you using?

I get this same error.  However it doesnt matter if I shut down or restart the VM. The error always present.  If I use the VNC graphics it is fine.  If I use my GTX1050TI I get this error code 43.

Side note, I had a GTX750TI and had no issues.  Upgraded my card this weekend and this is when the error happened.  Created new VM instance with same issue.  I would love to know how to fix.

I just remembered that the last time I was configuring the server (about 2 years ago - which might seem long ago to have the same issues again) there were some issues with the passthrough. Not sure if the error code then was 43 or not.

I found a workaround and didn't submit a bug report at that time.

Maybe I can confirm that in 30 min (after I test).

@ks2016 did you tried to use a vbios for the card you passing through? Another thing for some users installing Windows with attached GPU and without ever use of VNC is the only way to prevent the code 43. You can try this. Also what happens if you restart the running VM via the unraid gui? 

Tried VBIOS.

I think 2 years ago I was always installing the VM with passthrough even when the VM in question was not intended to be used with passthrough after the install.

Haven't tried the restart through Unraid gui.

3 minutes ago, bastl said:

@ks2016 did you tried to use a vbios for the card you passing through? Another thing for some users installing Windows with attached GPU and without ever use of VNC is the only way to prevent the code 43. You can try this. Also what happens if you restart the running VM via the unraid gui? 

I used a hex editor as spaceinvaders suggested in his video and and I still get the error code 43. 

in his video and and I still get the error code 43. 

It could be anything. GPU is the only GPU in the system, passthrough not working on the first slot, OVMF or Seabios, with or without vbios. Dumped BIOS or downloaded, edited or not. Installed with VNC or not. Installed using 1 core ore more. Unraid version BIOS settings, BIOS version .... there are soooo many things that can help to solve that issue. There is no one click solution that works for everyone :( 

Please note that this is only after restart.

If I shut down, then start the VM all seems to be fine.

Did this work on previous Unraid version and now does not work?

"nvidia error 43" is very common and occurs with bare metal installs as well.  Happens with some GPU's and not others.