• VM restart causes Nvidia code 43

ks2016
    • Solved Annoyance

After each restart of the Windows 10 VM, the Nvidia VGA drivers are marked with error code 43.

Please note that this is only after restart.

If I shut down, then start the VM all seems to be fine.

This makes me think that the VGA on restart is in some inconsistent state causing the error code 43.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Yes, the system was rock solid with previous setup.

Now, I can't get it right.

I remembered more of the old setup and will test it.

Will update with findings.

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

Did this work on previous Unraid version and now does not work?

"nvidia error 43" is very common and occurs with bare metal installs as well.  Happens with some GPU's and not others.

I actually don't know.  For  me, My Windows 10 Gaming VM was running fine with the 750TI on 6.5.3.  I then updated to 6.6.3.  Unfortunately didn't start the VM before upgrading to the 1050TI.  So I don't know.  I might throw the 750TI back in and see if all works.

Machine seems to be rock solid once again. 😁

This works for me:

1) New VM with:

- init mem = max mem

- i440fx-3.0

- ovmf

- hyper-v = yes

- 2.0 ehci

- os disk = ide

- driver disk = ide 

- primary disk = ide, raw

- nvidia vga & audio + dumped bios

- usb controller

- remove start VM after created 

2) switch to xml view

- remove all devices related to serial (I have no use for those) :

<serial type='pty'>
          <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
            <model name='isa-serial'/>
          </target>
        </serial>
        <console type='pty'>
          <target type='serial' port='0'/>
        </console>
        <channel type='unix'>
          <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
          <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
        </channel>

- remove balloon device (seems to appear again on its own - another bug ?)

3) install Windows with passthrough

4) disable the ballon device in device manager

5) only network should need drivers from virtio disk - install

6) check for windows updates and wait for windows to install the VGA drivers

7) set MSI interrupts for the audio

20 restarts later and still not a single code 43. ... Seems promising 

In the XML of the VM it is present as:

<memballoon model='virtio'>
          <alias name='balloon0'/>
          <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x0a' function='0x0'/>
        </memballoon>

It should NOT be there for VMs with passthrough. Even if you remove it is added again automatically. This should be considered a bug.

Then in the Device Manager it is initially visible as "PCI Device" and if you install the drivers for it from the virtio disk the name will be changed to something containing "balloon". DO NOT INSTALL DRIVERS FOR THIS DEVICE !!!

Check here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/VM_Management

Quote:

Specifying a Max Memory value will enable memory ballooning, allowing KVM to shrink/expand memory assignments dynamically as needed.

This feature does not apply to VMs where a physical PCI device has been assigned (GPU, sound, etc.)

@Unraid: Please remove the balloon device from the VM XML when a device is passed to the VM.

10 hours ago, ks2016 said:

It should NOT be there for VMs with passthrough. Even if you remove it is added again automatically. This should be considered a bug.

Yes that does seem like a bug, can you definitively say, this is the cause of the issue?

The ballon device needs to be removed, just as mentioned here:

Specifying a Max Memory value will enable memory ballooning, allowing KVM to shrink/expand memory assignments dynamically as needed.

This feature does not apply to VMs where a physical PCI device has been assigned (GPU, sound, etc.)

I would say the bug consists of:

- The balloon device is present in the XML for VM's that use passthrough.

4 minutes ago, limetech said:

Yes that does seem like a bug, can you definitively say, this is the cause of the issue?

Yes. :) 

1 hour ago, ks2016 said:

Yes. :) 

The correct way to disable it would be to replace that block with:

<memballoon model='none'>

Are you double-dog positive this is the source of the nvidia code 43 issue?  Asking because was about to publish 6.6.4 which has a number of other bug fixes, but will hold release to include this fix.  BTW this has been in the xml for a long time and does not always cause this issue.

It is mentioned in Unraid documentation here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/VM_Management

"This feature does not apply to VMs where a physical PCI device has been assigned"

I have had issues with stability last time I configured the server (2016 - which also corresponds with the time the other post is made).

I made an attempt to disable it this time because I remembered that last time I had to disable it for some reason. So, YES, ... this device has caused issues for more than 2 years. 

Edited by ks2016
    On 11/5/2018 at 9:35 AM, drugdoctor said:

I used a hex editor as spaceinvaders suggested in his video and and I still get the error code 43.

When you were dumping the bios, were you trying to dump from slot 1? I understand that better chances of success are to be made when you move your primary GPU from slot one to a different slot, then dump the bios. Try that and report back to see if that solves the issue for you.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:25 PM, ks2016 said:

- nvidia vga & audio + dumped bios 

When you dumped the bios, did you find it helped to place the GPU you're trying to pass through in another slot other than Slot 1?

Are you doing single pass through, or do you have a secondary GPU for Unraid? This information will help other users.

===

I journaled extensively about my process in order to get GPU pass through without Error Code 43.

Also to be noted, I stopped using the Restart VM button in Unraid because it wasn't functioning properly; same when using Restart from inside the Windows 10 VM. Now I just use the shutdown method inside the VM.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
    Restarting from inside Windows 10 is now fixed in 6.6.3
    4 minutes ago, Zer0Nin3r said:

Also to be noted, I stopped using the Restart VM button in Unraid because it wasn't functioning properly; same when using Restart from inside the Windows 10 VM. Now I just use the shutdown method inside the VM.

That was a issue in 6.6.2 but should have been fixed in 6.6.3.  Is that still broken for you?

5 hours ago, eschultz said:

That was a issue in 6.6.2 but should have been fixed in 6.6.3.  Is that still broken for you?

The restart within Windows 10 is now fixed.

Ha. I literally just signed on to come back and update my post. Thank you for the speedy response @eschultz

On 11/6/2018 at 8:37 AM, ks2016 said:

I would say the bug consists of:

- The balloon device is present in the XML for VM's that use passthrough.

The 6.6.4 release includes a fix for this.  Please retest and verify issue is solved.  thx

Works like a charm. :)

VM's with passthrough devices have memballoon=none.

VM's without passthrough devices have the standard memballoon.

Windows 10 VM is rock solid just by not having the memballoon when using dedicated VGA.

Thanks for the assistance. :) :) :)