• Wrong free space reported in shares tab.

ScottishTower
    • Solved Annoyance

I have an array of 5 data disks, 1 parity disk, 1 cache and the flash.  I have 1 of the data discs encrypted (2TB disk) in my array and 1  of my shares is set to include only that disk  and doesn't use the cache.  That all works fine and I have all the other shares not using the encrypted disk.

When I look at the shares tab, the share using the encrypted disk reports its free space as just over 5TB. It should only be just under 2TB I would have thought. 

All the other shares are correct.

I an using 6.9.0

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

14 minutes ago, ScottishTower said:

Here they are.

For the share in question, does it exist only on the encrypted disk?  You can click Shares then click "Compute..." for the share to have it show all the disks the share exists on.

The share "work" is only assigned to disk 5 (2TB encrypted). I clicked compute for the "work" share and another one and attached a screen grab. There is nothing in the work share yet so 0B is not an error.

share.jpgshare2.jpg.068bf5437767791fc81042c68a53f5ee.jpg

Edited by ScottishTower

I'd say that you have an empty directory called "Work" in the root of Disk 3 and therefore the reported available free space is the sum of that on Disk 3 and Disk 5. I'm guessing that directory was created when you first created the Work share and that you later changed the share to include only Disk 5.

• Thanks 1
    9 minutes ago, John_M said:

I'd say that you have an empty directory called "Work" in the root of Disk 3 and therefore the reported available free space is the sum of that on Disk 3 and Disk 5. I'm guessing that directory was created when you first created the Work share and that you later changed the share to include only Disk 5.

Yes I looked and that is the case, there is an empty "Work" folder on disk 3. Would deleting the share and then re-adding it sort it out?

Yes, since it's currently empty. Before deleting the share, add Disk 3 back to it (ie. include Disk 3). Then delete the share. Then recreate it, including just the encrypted Disk 5.

Alternatively, if you don't mind using the command line, just delete the empty folder:

rmdir /mnt/disk3/Work

Edited by John_M
    Typo
    • Thanks 1
    10 minutes ago, John_M said:

Before deleting the share, add Disk 3 back to it (ie. include Disk 3).

You don't have to do that.  If the share is empty it will delete all top-level dirs for it on all devices.

• Thanks 2