• "Wrong Key!" error on starting array after upgrading to 6.8

NREES87
    • Solved Minor

Upgraded my test box to 6.8.0 stable this morning and am now unable to decrypt the array (using the same passphrase as I've used for the last year!).

I experienced exactly the same issue with rc4 (see here and screenshot). If I roll back to 6.7.X - everything goes back to being fully functional.

TIA,

Nate

image.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There's a workaround or you could just change your key, in my eyes that's not a showstopper, but if anyone form LT disagrees they can change it again, either way it will have their attention.

The Help info for encryption says,

Enter a passphrase of up to 512 characters. It is highly advisable to only use the 95 printable characters from the first 128 characters of the ASCII table, as they will always have the same binary representation. Other characters may have different encoding depending on system configuration and your passphrase will not work with a different encoding. If you want a longer passphrase or to include binary data, upload a keyfile instead.

We need to look into exactly where the issue lies, you must use keyfile workaround for now.

8 hours ago, limetech said:

The Help info for encryption says,

We need to look into exactly where the issue lies, you must use keyfile workaround for now.

And that is exactly how I constructed the passphrase.

Using a keyfile on my main server is not an option and completely unacceptable - a permanent keyfile completely negates the point encryption, and when the system is down - there's no means to create the keyfile.

Changing they passphrase to less secure construct is the only workaround, but not something I'm willing to compromise. I'll wait until this mess is fixed before upgrading.

i have the same issue, and dont have any special chars in my password, just upper/lower case chars from the universal alphabet... but i could also mount again after doing a rollback

15 hours ago, limetech said:

After starting array there is a button that says "Delete keyfile".

That won't work on my main server as the only machine on the network that can create a temp keyfile (to be deleted after successfully starting the array) is a VM on the server itself. If the keyfile is deleted and the server restarted - I'm back to square one - making a permanent keyfile (or making the passphrase less secure) the only feasible "workaround".

7 minutes ago, NREES87 said:

If the keyfile is deleted and the server restarted - I'm back to square

That's exactly the same as entering a passphrase ...

3 hours ago, bonienl said:

That's exactly the same as entering a passphrase ...

Are you having an off day?! It's not the same in the slightest - I can enter a passphrase with a keyboard - I can't recreate a keyfile without another machine on the network (which, again, if someone will take the time to read - I DON'T HAVE).

Same issue here.  Updated to 6.8 this morning and passphrase kept showing Wrong Encryption Key.  Restoring back to 6.7 works as expected.

Password does contain special characters but just your standard type like !@#$^&*)(

4 hours ago, pvr02 said:

Same issue here.  Updated to 6.8 this morning and passphrase kept showing Wrong Encryption Key.  Restoring back to 6.7 works as expected.

Password does contain special characters but just your standard type like !@#$^&*)(

I booted a server running 6.7.2 and created an encrypted volume using passphrase: !@#$^&*)(

I then booted 6.8.0 and specifying same passphrase volume opened correctly.

Please tell me exactly which special characters you're using.

I'm having the same issue after the update to 6.8.0.

I tried copying my passphase to a text file and use it, but to no avail. (It is just a .txt file with the passphrase, no clue if this is how it is supposed to be done)

The passphrase contains a '!' in it as the only special character, the rest is just lower case and caps.

I'm pretty sure that, like the others, if I downgrade I can get in again, but in 6.8.0, there seems to be no way in.

8 minutes ago, FooYoungHi said:

I tried copying my passphase to a text file and use it, but to no avail.

You have to make sure the text file does not have a trailing newline character.

Do you use spaces in your passphrase?

1 hour ago, limetech said:

I booted a server running 6.7.2 and created an encrypted volume using passphrase: !@#$^&*)(

I then booted 6.8.0 and specifying same passphrase volume opened correctly.

Please tell me exactly which special characters you're using.

! and *

19 minutes ago, pvr02 said:

! and *

Thank you.  Do you have any embedded spaces or tabs?  If so are there more than 1 space/tab in a row?

17 minutes ago, limetech said:

Thank you.  Do you have any embedded spaces or tabs?  If so are there more than 1 space/tab in a row?

No