Community Applications Plugin broke?

Try moving the transcode directory into appdata

Did the default directory change from the appdata directory to the docker.img?  I've never had that directory set.  What should I set it to?

No.  But its something that can be safely moved out of the img file.  Its where plex stores its temporary files for transcoding.  Normally I think its set within plex to be /transcode, but you can set it to be something like /config/plex/transcode (or however you've mapped the appdata share)

Not saying that this is the problem, as its only used during transcodes, but maybe.  So long as you've mapped the appdata correctly, then all the thousands of files that plex uses for its metadata should be stored outside the img

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try moving the transcode directory into appdata

Did the default directory change from the appdata directory to the docker.img?  I've never had that directory set.  What should I set it to?

No.  But its something that can be safely moved out of the img file.  Its where plex stores its temporary files for transcoding.  Normally I think its set within plex to be /transcode, but you can set it to be something like /config/plex/transcode (or however you've mapped the appdata share)

Not saying that this is the problem, as its only used during transcodes, but maybe.  So long as you've mapped the appdata correctly, then all the thousands of files that plex uses for its metadata should be stored outside the img

The transcoding directory is part of the problem because when I'm transcoding I see the docker.img used space going up quickly.  Then when I stop playing the video that used space goes away as it's probably deleting that temp data.  However it can't be the only issue because even with no data transcoding at all, my used spaced jumped from just over 3GB to just over 8GB in one day.

Is there anyway to explore what's on the docker.img file?

docker exec -it docker-name bash

But it would have to be the meta data that's causing it to balloon like that.  And if the mapping is right its outside the image

PMS_zpsgyzmvxwd.jpg

This is my config mapping.  It's the same as it's been ever since I've had the Plex docker (months) and it's never changed.  Yet all of a sudden this is a problem. 

Using that bash command, is there any easy way to view the size of each of the directories?  If I do a ls -lah from the root, some of the directories show their size and some just have a number without any indication of the form of data measurment (KB, MB, GB, etc.).

Unless you've installed some extras for Plex that are causing it....

I've installed no extras in Plex except for the RottenTomatoes metadata agent but I've had that from the beginning.

Mobile so can't answer on off the top of my head.

But, I looked again at your screen shots of your docker img.  The one line did go up from 7 gig to 8.5 gig.  However, the line stating the size / used remained constant at 20G / 13.04 gig.

Not *quite* sure about the significance there, as BTRFS leverages COW, but I *think* its the second line that's the important one here.  Never really investigated it that closely...

But it would have to be the meta data that's causing it to balloon like that.  And if the mapping is right its outside the image

Using that bash command, is there any easy way to view the size of each of the directories?  If I do a ls -lah from the root, some of the directories show their size and some just have a number without any indication of the form of data measurment (KB, MB, GB, etc.).

The du Command

The du Command

Thanks.  Everything looks fine in there.

Mobile so can't answer on off the top of my head.

But, I looked again at your screen shots of your docker img.  The one line did go up from 7 gig to 8.5 gig.  However, the line stating the size / used remained constant at 20G / 13.04 gig.

Not *quite* sure about the significance there, as BTRFS leverages COW, but I *think* its the second line that's the important one here.  Never really investigated it that closely...

The second line used space has gone up 6GB since yesterday.

Yesterday when it crashed

Docker_zpsfz0hwqz1.jpg

Yesterday after rebuild

DockerIMG_zpsp8lnxrez.jpg

Today

DockerIMG3_zpsb7zswoji.jpg

my Plex docker mapping settings:

/config => /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver

/transcode => /tmp

the rest are pointers to media locations.

for the /transcode setting to work you have to edit the server setting inside Plex advanced settings.

Why not just put the transcode directory inside the /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver directory?

/transcode => /tmp

for the /transcode setting to work you have to edit the server setting inside Plex advanced settings.

Why not just put the transcode directory inside the /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver directory?

Because using that setting puts it in RAM. Even faster than the SSD where appdata is located ;)

/transcode => /tmp

Because using that setting puts it in RAM. Even faster than the SSD where appdata is located ;)

What's the most amount of transcodes you have going at once and how much RAM do you have dedicated to your server?  I will often have 5-6 transcodes going simultaneously and have 12GB of RAM dedicated to my unRAID server. 

/transcode => /tmp

You can do that, but you should check and make sure the plex advanced settings are putting the transcodes somewhere in some container volume.

Double check you do not have debug logging or anything like that enabled in plex,  i know if you turn on debug logging it will eat up space quickly ( even faster with a large library )

I do have that enabled but need it to be for PlexPy.  I've had all my settings set exactly the same for months though so why would it start all of a sudden start saving outside the appdata folder?

actually you are correct,  logs are stored in the appdata folder and not in the container.

These are the dockers you are running right?

CP

DelugeVPN

Legacy ruTorrent

Plex Media Server

Plexpy

Plex Requests

Sonarr

Subsonic

I would go through the settings of any that download stuff ( CP, DelugeVPN, Legacy ruTorrent )  and double check the temp download folders are mapped correctly.  I remember one the other day that had CP set to temp download to /something/Incomplete-Downloads ( i dont remember the exact structure )  and CP uses relative directories  so it was download all stuff to the docker image then moving it out to the array and his docker.img was filling up.  he changed the /something/Incomplete-Downloads to something/Incomplete-Downloads ( removing the first / ) and it solved his issue.

actually you are correct,  logs are stored in the appdata folder and not in the container.

These are the dockers you are running right?

CP

DelugeVPN

Legacy ruTorrent

Plex Media Server

Plexpy

Plex Requests

Sonarr

Subsonic

I would go through the settings of any that download stuff ( CP, DelugeVPN, Legacy ruTorrent )  and double check the temp download folders are mapped correctly.  I remember one the other day that had CP set to temp download to /something/Incomplete-Downloads ( i dont remember the exact structure )  and CP uses relative directories  so it was download all stuff to the docker image then moving it out to the array and his docker.img was filling up.  he changed the /something/Incomplete-Downloads to something/Incomplete-Downloads ( removing the first / ) and it solved his issue.

CP and Sonarr don't actually download anything so I don't see how those are issues.  I even looked in both their settings and there is no where to even set temp directories because they are just accessing NZBGet/Deluge/ruTorrent to do the downloads.  I took some SS's of those downloader programs below but nothing stands out to me.

Deluge

Deluge3_zpssmsj59o3.jpg

Deluge1_zpseip5piss.jpg

Deluge2_zpsinmtsydf.jpg

NZBGet

NZBGet3_zps6aunkgwg.jpg

NZBGet1_zpse4zuwuhb.jpg

NZBGet2_zpsxak1tx7p.jpg

ruTorrent

ruTorrent3_zps8bearjai.jpg

ruTorrent1_zpsrm2ck6q2.jpg

ruTorrent2_zpsffhbipkq.jpg

Your category settings in NZBGet for Television and Movies is specifying a destination directory of /Series and /Movies  But you haven't mounted them.  Anything downloaded for this category winds up being moved into the docker.img

Doesn't the DestDir to the left of it mean it will be stored in DestDir /"whateverIset"?